Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:40 pm 
President's Circle

Anybody know when they make assignments for rookie league? I live in the heart of the Appalachian League and the Greeneville Reds are in my back yard. I've been able to go see some of our recent draftees but it obviously depends on which team picks them and where they get assigned. Jensen is a potential since the Twins have a team in the App League.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:17 pm 
President's Circle

Which, if any, of Jensen, Roper and Solesky are the most likely to make it up to AA?

The Birmingham Barons (AA for White Sox) and Pensacola Blue Wahoos (AA-Twins) are in the Southern League and will be potentially view-able for me.

LeBlanc still on the DL, btw.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

wave-em in wrote:
Which, if any, of Jensen, Roper and Solesky are the most likely to make it up to AA?

The Birmingham Barons (AA for White Sox) and Pensacola Blue Wahoos (AA-Twins) are in the Southern League and will be potentially view-able for me.

LeBlanc still on the DL, btw.

This year? None of them...maybe by 2021.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

Roper and Solesky are 2 lucky guys. Sox draft 2 Greenies - I've waited a long time. Fantastic and congrats to both!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm 
President's Circle

all 40 rounds done; no other Wave recruits I know of were chosen. Only loss would be 2-way player Justin Campbell of Simi Valley, Calif., chosen in 18th round by Astros. Matthew Corlew, who at one time was committed to Tulane, was lately going JC route I believe but has now been chosen in Rd. 23 by LA Angels. only other one to really wonder about is Grant Mathews, taken in Rd 38 by Atlanta. would he come back?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

The 6 draft picks ties the school record set in 2007.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:27 pm 
Regent's Circle

GSx wrote:
Roper and Solesky are 2 lucky guys. Sox draft 2 Greenies - I've waited a long time. Fantastic and congrats to both!

I love the Red Sox, this is great!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:33 pm 
President's Circle

Mathews tweeted this evening thanking Braves for the opportunity he has long dreamed about having; so color him gone I presume.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 pm 
Regent's Circle

I wonder if there's some calculus done by the pro teams to Target Juniors on teams with turmoil/uncertainty where it may be easier/cheaper to lure them away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 pm 
President's Circle

randymc wrote:
all 40 rounds done; no other Wave recruits I know of were chosen. Only loss would be 2-way player Justin Campbell of Simi Valley, Calif., chosen in 18th round by Astros. Matthew Corlew, who at one time was committed to Tulane, was lately going JC route I believe but has now been chosen in Rd. 23 by LA Angels. only other one to really wonder about is Grant Mathews, taken in Rd 38 by Atlanta. would he come back?

Is Campbell expected to hit here too? Thought he’d be a pitcher only, maybe I’m wrong.
I’d assume that Cellucci is gone. Not sure about Solesky or Campbell.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:

Hmmmm. A team that finished 34-26. This year we were 32-26.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
waverider wrote:

Hmmmm. A team that finished 34-26. This year we were 32-26.

Duke is in the soopers with a similar record this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 pm 
President's Circle

randymc wrote:
Mathews tweeted this evening thanking Braves for the opportunity he has long dreamed about having; so color him gone I presume.

I didnt take it that way. He was happy to be drafted but he could still come back and improve his stock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:59 pm 
Regent's Circle

Every player is different, and if anyone says otherwise...

As for assignments, players have to sign first. Seniors will be the 1st to sign, as they don’t have much leverage.

Everyone else is speculation. I think almost all of the underclassmen are gone, but you never know. The MLB club could get stubborn (or the player could get stubborn), and negotiations hit a stalemate.

What I will find interesting, if anyone signs, that wasn’t drafted. I know undrafted seniors can sign, but with MLB, I’m not sure what the rules are for other undrafted players. I think anyone can sign, even if they weren’t drafted, as long as they meet the age requirements. Anyone know for sure?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 pm 
President's Circle

Simi Valley's Justin Campbell says he has two great choices Tulane or MLB with the Astros...says he will handle the decision "one step at a time."
https://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/hig ... 361210001/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 pm 
President's Circle

Dave, free agents can sign at any time. Jeremy had offers from the Yankees and the White Sox during the two summers he played in the California Collegiate League.

Grant is a redshirt senior. Waiting another year doesn’t make much sense at his age. The only way it would benefit him is if he went off next year and slipped into the first 5-10 rounds. His signing bonus will be $5,000 or less in either scenario. Solesky does have some leverage, just like Campbell. It will all boil down to the bonus for those two, and I think both may get the number they are looking for (same for Cellucci). Wonder if Jewett will try to sweeten the pot for any of those guys.

Two other Tulane incoming players drafted were Donovan Benoit and Ben Thompson. Benoit went in the 36th round to the Rangers and Thompson went in the 28th round to the Braves. Both players are pitchers.

One good piece of news is Artigues will be back. Heard he had some opportunities to go elsewhere, but will not be a grad transfer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 am 
Emerald Circle

Kody Hoese should be the poster boy of why these underclassmen should stay....he earned himself $2.65 million plus a year of Tulane education by not signing last season.
The guys who are juniors now are a different story; unless they absolutely blow up next season, they're getting a $10,000 bonus as seniors because they have little leverage.
The high school late round picks probably won't be offered big bonuses.....if they progress as intended, they should do a lot better in 3 years. And if not, their 10K will still be waiting and they'll have 3 or 4 years of Tulane behind them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:44 am 
Navigator Level

It would sure be nice to have a 6'-7" tall 1st baseman who can hit and pitch. The last player we had like that I believe was Micah Owens.

Lets hope Campbell stays on campus and gets the millions he's hoping for in 3 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 am 
Riptide Level

If I am not mistaken, the teams have $125,000 that they can use to sign anyone in picks 11-40. If a team gives a bonus in excess of $125,000 to a pick from rounds 11-40, it counts against its bonus pool for picks taken in the first 10 rounds. Looking at whom Houston picked in the first 10 rounds, it is possible that Houston could come up with a bonus in excess of $125,000. However, with a tenth round slot value in excess of $140,000, it is probably worth the risk to go to school, hope for a bigger bonus after your junior year and know that you already have a pretty good shot at $125,000 after your junior year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:04 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
I wonder if there's some calculus done by the pro teams to Target Juniors on teams with turmoil/uncertainty where it may be easier/cheaper to lure them away.

Scouts/teams usually have a good idea of what it'll take to sign someone, turmoil or no. That there's turmoil certainly could lower that number.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Roper in the 29th to the White Sox

Late to the party, but "the Sox" must have loved his guttiness with all those pitches in his finale. Thoughts and prayers for his UCL.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Roper in the 29th to the White Sox

Late to the party, but "the Sox" must have loved his guttiness with all those pitches in his finale. Thoughts and prayers for his UCL.
RIP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:42 pm 
Navigator Level

Thoughts and prayers for those who worry needlessly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 pm 
Regent's Circle

FYI -
51 of the first 78 players selected were from the college ranks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:01 pm 
Cornerstone

4 year colleges? Maybe things change in later rounds but when I was glancing at Day 3 it was hard not to notice how fee guys were getting picked out of high school. If the pattern held throughout more JC guys were taken in that remaining 27 selections.