Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:43 pm 
Sophomore

I searched for a composite knowing that a number of changes have been made. Sr made a great post, but I like a listing by classification so it is easier to keep up with slots available in the upcoming years. Hope this is useful to others.

1. Christion Thompson 6’4” 215 RS SR Gonzales, LA TR Rhode Island
2. Nic Thomas 6’1” 185 RS SR Arlington, TX TR Norfolk State

3. Bul Ajang 6’11” 240 JR South Sudan 2L The Patrick School (NJ)
4. K. J. Lawson 6’7” 215 RS JR Memphis, TN TR Kansas
5. Ray Ona Embo 6’4” 210 RS JR France 2L Quality Ed Academy (NC)

6. Buay Koka 7’1” 210 RS SO South Sudan 1L The Patrick School (NJ)
7. Kevin Zhang 6’10” 220 SO China 1L Monteverde Academy (FL)
8. Teshaun Hightower 6’5” 190 RS SO Lithonia, GA TR Georgia *
9. Jordan Walker 5’11” 170 RS SO Port Washington, NY 1L The Patrick School (NJ)

10 Ibrahim Ali 6’10” 245 RS FR Nigeria TR Arkansas
11 Nobal Days 6’9” 220 FR Racine, WI HS Racine Park (WI)
12 Charlie Russel, Jr. 6’7” 190 FR New Orleans, LA HS Sophie B. Wright (LA)
13 Tylan Pope 6’6” 220 FR Franklinton, LA HS Franklinton (LA)
14 R. J. McGee 6’5” 220 FR Chicago, IL HS Taylormade Academy (IL)

Non-Scholarship players

15 Cameron Galic 6’6” 205 JR Bethesda, MD SQ Bethesda Chevy-Chase (MD)
16 Grant Quinn 6’5” 220 RS JR Lewisville, TX SQ Liberty Christian (VA)
17 Alec Zaccardo 6’0” 160 SO Boston, MA SQ Lincoln Sudbury Regional (MA)

* not eligible due to transfer rules for 2019-2020 season

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:46 pm 
Sophomore

Still one too many scholarship players. It would seem likely that one of the returning bigs will not remain on scholarship with Ajang being most likely

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 pm 
Sophomore

If I screwed anything up, please let me know. I made an assumption on Hightower. I am not familiar with any exemption for a transfer, without a coaching change for an underclassmen, other than a hardship which historically has been extremely rare.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

Sterling's latest rack-up --

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:22 pm 
Sophomore

sr wrote:

Won’t Ali be an eligible RS FR (because of coaching change) if granted the desired waiver?

... and Hightower falls into current Sophomore class if he redshirts this year, due to transfer, correct?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:31 am 
Regent's Circle

Skillwave wrote:
sr wrote:

Won’t Ali be an eligible RS FR (because of coaching change) if granted the desired waiver?

... and Hightower falls into current Sophomore class if he redshirts this year, due to transfer, correct?

Sterling 's reply --

Quote:
The way I see it if Hightower gets a waiver this year, he will graduate with Ona Embo and Ajang (and maybe Lawson). If not, he will graduate with Walker, Zhang and Koka.

Since Ali redshirted at Arkansas, he will graduate with McGee, Russell, Days, and Pope either way.

Yes, you're right. The way I have the table set up with regards to the redshirts is kinda confusing. The way I have it, if neither of them get waivers to play this season, they won't move forward a year with the rest of the players on next year's version of the spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:04 am 
Sophomore

sr wrote:
Skillwave wrote:
sr wrote:

Sterling 's reply --

Quote:
The way I see it if Hightower gets a waiver this year, he will graduate with Ona Embo and Ajang (and maybe Lawson). If not, he will graduate with Walker, Zhang and Koka.

Since Ali redshirted at Arkansas, he will graduate with McGee, Russell, Days, and Pope either way.

Yes, you're right. The way I have the table set up with regards to the redshirts is kinda confusing. The way I have it, if neither of them get waivers to play this season, they won't move forward a year with the rest of the players on next year's version of the spreadsheet.

Thanks. So Ali is correct. Hightower depends upon waiver. I hope he gets it, but not sure what basis would be.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

Skillwave wrote:

Thanks. So Ali is correct. Hightower depends upon waiver. I hope he gets it, but not sure what basis would be.

Crean's comments that Georgia was losing because he decided to be a nice guy and keep holdover players instead of running them off like most new coaches do.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 837983002/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm 
President's Circle

I have heard that Ajang is not going to be cleared medically and will be DQ'd...allowed to stay in school on scholarship but will not be able to play ball. That would put us at the limit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

makes sense TU23, I thought at the time when we signed Ibrahim Ali that he made a good replacement for Ajang if he ended up elsewhere. And with more potential too, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:51 am 
Emerald Circle

TU23 wrote:
I have heard that Ajang is not going to be cleared medically and will be DQ'd...allowed to stay in school on scholarship but will not be able to play ball. That would put us at the limit.

What issue? An injury from last year or something more serious/chronic? Just curious.

Either way, if that is the case, best of luck to him. He made a wise choice educationally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:08 pm 
Sophomore

TU23 wrote:

Yes, he appeared to be most likely one out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 pm 
Regent's Circle

Great group -- current & old … Johnny Arthurs in the house...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:24 am 
Regent's Circle

Great pic. It looks like Tulane MBB is back to practicing in Devlin. To manage practice time for all the teams, Tulane needs a Hertz facility. However it's interesting that how it is used depends upon the coach. With the current admin, I guess some of the money used building Hertz might have been spent differently today.

Just a SWAG. Glad our alums in sports like football and MBB are visiting our current teams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:11 am 
Coach Level

MD had them practice in their at times too. Hunter is using both also.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:47 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Great pic. It looks like Tulane MBB is back to practicing in Devlin. To manage practice time for all the teams, Tulane needs a Hertz facility. However it's interesting that how it is used depends upon the coach. With the current admin, I guess some of the money used building Hertz might have been spent differently today.

Just a SWAG. Glad our alums in sports like football and MBB are visiting our current teams.
I don't think this shows that they are practicing regularly in Devlin nor that alumni visit practices. This was from the alumni game I posted about which was strangely and inconveniently this past Wednesday at 2 pm.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52607

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:04 pm 
Regent's Circle

Tulane's MBB twitter account shows clips of team practicing in Devlin multiple times (June 6th, 7th and August 1st) in addition to the group shot the day of the alum game on Aug 7th. It shows them also practicing in Hertz multiple times as well this summer.

My point stands. We have a coach that clearly likes to practice regularly in Devlin. Tulane spent a lot of money to gold plate Hertz because it was announced at the time by RD that it was where the team was going to spend virtually all its non-game time. At least under Hunter and MD as well, that has not been the case.

So did Tulane need to gold plate Hertz? The answer is moot because it's a past capital expenditure but still legitimate to note the irony of it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm 
Cornerstone

The point of Hertz was to house three programs, not just one. It is still an asset to the overall program.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

When I was playing and we only had Fogelman, it was a hassle to schedule three teams to practice in the Fall, especially if practices had to move. There were times when Clark decided we needed to move a practice to, say, 5 am, because he wanted to fly home to Atlanta and see his family, and it conflicted with a prescheduled WBB or VB practice and there was a fight. Someone would end up practicing in the back gym at Reily and said team was never happy about it (and yes, sometimes that was us, we did not have "dibs" on all occasions).

Hertz is clearly a crown jewel purely because it allows there to be no conflicts, it has all the latest modern equipment and technology, it's new and sparkly and bright and compares favorably to any other schools' facilities, and it gives the programs a home in the same building where the coaches' offices are also located. There's nothing negative to be said about it (other than our team's W/L record since it opened doesn't reflect any sort of advantage gained whatsoever). Even teams that play their games in a large, shared-with-the-NBA downtown arena still practice at that arena sometimes. So we are just practicing in our "game arena", no big deal.

Bay, I wasn't saying we don't ever practice there and I'm glad we sometimes do... just that the photo doesn't prove anything because it was from an event, not just an everyday occurrence. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Tulane's MBB twitter account shows clips of team practicing in Devlin multiple times (June 6th, 7th and August 1st) in addition to the group shot the day of the alum game on Aug 7th. It shows them also practicing in Hertz multiple times as well this summer.

My point stands. We have a coach that clearly likes to practice regularly in Devlin. Tulane spent a lot of money to gold plate Hertz because it was announced at the time by RD that it was where the team was going to spend virtually all its non-game time. At least under Hunter and MD as well, that has not been the case.

So did Tulane need to gold plate Hertz? The answer is moot because it's a past capital expenditure but still legitimate to note the irony of it.
Yes, building the nicest facility that we can afford is a good thing. Maybe you haven't paid much attention to college athletics the past...30(?) years? A throwaway comment by our thrownaway previous AD does not obligate us to never practice in Devlin, just as much as practicing in Devlin every now and then does not make it foolish to spend money on Hertz.

Ask yourself this question...if we didn't have Hertz, would we have Ron Hunter? If your answer isn't an immediate yes (and mine isn't), then you might consider the fact that the reason for building Hertz goes beyond "it was announced at the time by RD that it was where the team was going to spend virtually all its non-game time".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:26 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
When I was playing and we only had Fogelman, it was a hassle to schedule three teams to practice in the Fall, especially if practices had to move. There were times when Clark decided we needed to move a practice to, say, 5 am, because he wanted to fly home to Atlanta and see his family, and it conflicted with a prescheduled WBB or VB practice and there was a fight. Someone would end up practicing in the back gym at Reily and said team was never happy about it (and yes, sometimes that was us, we did not have "dibs" on all occasions).

Hertz is clearly a crown jewel purely because it allows there to be no conflicts, it has all the latest modern equipment and technology, it's new and sparkly and bright and compares favorably to any other schools' facilities, and it gives the programs a home in the same building where the coaches' offices are also located. There's nothing negative to be said about it (other than our team's W/L record since it opened doesn't reflect any sort of advantage gained whatsoever). Even teams that play their games in a large, shared-with-the-NBA downtown arena still practice at that arena sometimes. So we are just practicing in our "game arena", no big deal.

Bay, I wasn't saying we don't ever practice there and I'm glad we sometimes do... just that the photo doesn't prove anything because it was from an event, not just an everyday occurrence. :wink:

I always thought that familiarity with the lighting, dimensions, and surface of of one's own home court was a big part of the home court advantage. So practicing, at least some, where you play is necessary to maintain that advantage. What's your thoughts on that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:42 pm 
Coach Level

sr wrote:
Great group -- current & old … Johnny Arthurs in the house...

Johnny and Pierre Gaudin are the only former players that come to every home game. Always good to see them there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
I always thought that familiarity with the lighting, dimensions, and surface of of one's own home court was a big part of the home court advantage. So practicing, at least some, where you play is necessary to maintain that advantage. What's your thoughts on that.

I always felt that way myself but then I look at the dozens of other teams who rarely ever practice on their game court and yet are perennial top ten programs with national championship banners in the rafters and it makes me think that maybe it doesn't matter that much. So I guess I'm sorta neutral on it.

Kim Lewis coined a phrase that we all adopted in my day, "shooters shoot every day". What he meant was, it doesn't matter if the ball is flat or overinflated, if the court is lively or has dead spots, is the rim is tight or soft, if the backboard is huge and glass or tiny and wood... if you're a good shooter who practices enough, you can adjust and you'll still make shots. I think that concept probably applies to my latter example above.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

Folks as I said originally, we needed a BB/VB practice facility. In funding it, management decided to gold plate it. Was a top-ended Hertz worth it versus something simpler and then spending some of those funds eight years ago on an enhanced football weight room for example? Want to ask Karl Speer?

I simply note it with irony after Tulane just completed its worst basketball season in 55 years. I was a season ticket holder in 1964 too in basketball and football as well as now.

I won't review WBB or VB results either since 2011 opening of Hertz. Let's just say gold plating the practice facility to date has not produced better results on the court. Regardless since I pull for Tulane, I hope that changes in the future.

Will locker room sleeping pods pay off for LSU football? I guess we'll see there too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

I think the poor record has more to do with the coaching than a "gold plated" practice facility. We needed some modern, up to date MBB facilities if we were to ever compete for better recruits. Because, honestly, Devlin can be a hard sell.