Cornerstone

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... aceb6.html

"We're going to live off our running backs."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Beat me :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 pm 
Cornerstone

Several local TV stories about the offense. Fox 8 will have a TU FB story as part of its sports extra show tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 pm 
Navigator Level

Huderson is a real threat. Great natural athlete with Hilliard-esque vision (notice I said “esque”).
Of course we can all see Amare Jones in space.
And if T Spears and Booker must also be accounted for...
and defenses must now be aware of the TE...
and we will still run an option where any two backs AND the QB will run...
And we will still throw to the WRs on any down....

Sounds like the recipe I’ve been wishing for since WF first appeared.

Imagine it may be a bit tougher to scheme against us.

Brantley is a punishing runner. Let him punish. I know he is touting his pass catching ability. But the coaches are going to put their best weapons in space and Brantley is not he. Sq peg round hole.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:07 pm 
Regent's Circle

1401973 wrote:
Huderson is a real threat. Great natural athlete with Hilliard-esque vision (notice I said “esque”).

Brantley is a punishing runner. Let him punish. I know he is touting his pass catching ability. But the coaches are going to put their best weapons in space and Brantley is not he. Sq peg round hole.

You mean Bradwell, not Brantley. And Dauphine is the amazingly talented runner. It's criminal he had zero catches last year.
Sounds like Booker could be special. Also:
Quote:
Amare Jones had the longest reception for a back last season, gaining 26 yards on a play against SMU. It shook the heavens so much, it produced a nearby lightning strike that delayed the game for 64 minutes.

Gold by Guerry.
Remember, it was all a Ruse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 pm 
Navigator Level

Thanks gerryb. That’s embarrassing. I’ve done that before with Bradwell- he doesn’t deserve that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:13 am 
Emerald Circle

I remember seeing some gaudy high school stats from Ygenio Booker who I put down as somebody worth keeping an eye on. I know he's lightning quick. Ruse would never have known how to use him but Hall will.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:16 am 
Cornerstone

Booker didn't touch the ball much at all as a HS senior. Signing him was a leap of faith based on Fritz' Old Boy Network.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:19 am 
Emerald Circle

but the thing was when he did touch the ball he put up crazy numbers. I agree it was a leap of faith by this Staff but one worth taking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 am 
Emerald Circle

1401973 wrote:

I just don't see it with Huderson...based on what he's shown thus far, it's hard to advocate for him to get touches over Bradwell, Jones, and Dauphine (not to mention Carroll, Booker, Spears).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am 
Emerald Circle

To paraphrase

1401973, I saw Dontrell Hilliard play. Dontrell Hilliard is currently fighting for a stating RB position in the NFL. Huderson is no Dontrell Hilliard.

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 am 
Cornerstone

I think people wrote Stephon off after the Wake game and forgot how effective he was for the rest of the year. He is a capable baseline of our RB corps. He can catch and block better than some of his mates. It’s not his fault that Bradwell turned out so good or that we’ve sort of recruited over him. I hope he sticks it out and keeps working hard because next year we might be very glad he did.

Last edited by long green on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 am 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
1401973 wrote:

I just don't see it with Huderson...based on what he's shown thus far, it's hard to advocate for him to get touches over Bradwell, Jones, and Dauphine (not to mention Carroll, Booker, Spears).

dude you need to cut this out right now.. season hasn't even started yet and I'm agreeing with you.. .I too just don't see it with him... perhaps in Hall's scheme, we'll see more out of him.. but last year, he didn't justify taking touches away from Dauphine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm 
Navigator Level

My point was Huderson as it relates to the topic: RBs as receivers. Outside of A Jones, Huderson is a very natural looking athlete/receiver and IMO has the most upside....as it relates to RBs as WRs in Hall Ball.
In terms of he ain't no Hilliard...duh...that why I said he is "in the style of" (don't suggest he is as good as). Dauphine, Bradwell, and A Jones don't run like Huderson. Not worse or better, but different styles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:33 pm 
Navigator Level

...that's Darius Bradwell - Doak Walker Candidate Darius Bradwell. 2018 1174 yard, 11 TD rusher Darius Bradwell. MVP of the 2018 Cure Bowl Darius Bradwell.

NOT Johnathan Brantley (who left the team almost 2 years ago).

Damn - old numbahs slippin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm 
Coach Level

I think Booker will be a pleasant surprise. He’s quick. Played on a run oriented high school team. Note my location. It’s hard to believe, but we seem to really be loaded. Not your daddy’s Green Wave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
1401973 wrote:

dude you need to cut this out right now.. season hasn't even started yet and I'm agreeing with you.. .I too just don't see it with him... perhaps in Hall's scheme, we'll see more out of him.. but last year, he didn't justify taking touches away from Dauphine
Hey, you're allowed to be right sometimes...don't be too hard on yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:30 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
I think people wrote Stephon off after the Wake game and forgot how effective he was for the rest of the year. He is a capable baseline of our RB corps. He can catch and block better than some of his mates. It’s not his fault that Bradwell turned out so good or that we’ve sort of recruited over him. I hope he sticks it out and keeps working hard because next year we might be very glad he did.

I would trust Hunderson to get the first down on a third and 3 more than Dauphine or Jones. He has his place and as you said that could very well compliment the others backs styles well when Bradwell leaves.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:

No, it's way more than just the Wake game though he did have some decent efforts at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:44 pm 
Cornerstone

Way more? Good. I await your longer response.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 am 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Way more? Good. I await your longer response.

I mean, I could compile his stats from the Nicholls game, UAB, OSU, Cincy, Tulsa, the entire 2017 season...but that just seems like piling on. Suffice it to say that if you took away the Wake game, he'd still have the lowest ypc on the team (other than Carroll with his 4 carries).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:45 am 
Regent's Circle

again, I'm willing to accept the fact Huderson may not have shined because our offensive scheme ignored RBs and TEs in the passing game... he was nearly completely ineffective as a featured back and as I mentioned, he took carries away from Dauphine... and I guess you could say Amare Jones. I would LOVE for him to explode onto the scene as a reliable 3rd down receiving back or a monster on screen plays in Hall's scheme. But I don't want to see our best 3 RBs lose touches to a guy who's going to lose 2 yards on a delayed, inside hand off.. every time