Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 95393?s=09

I don't recall MM being around the program or saying much about it in the past....geez, 15 years or so? (has it really been that long?) Great to see him giving our guys tips in practice and advocating for the program in the video.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

Yep …. Very good !!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:35 pm 
Navigator Level

I feel sorry for the younger TU fans who didn't get to see him run live in a game. What a great, great running back. Mean stiff arm. Never fumbled (he may have but seems like he never did). Great spin move and tough to take down one on one. Was he the best TU RB in my lifetime? Wow, it is tough to pick between him and Forte.

But Mewelde Moore will always be THE TU model for the RB as WR - 6th all time receptions and 10th all time yards as a receiver in TU history.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:43 pm 
President's Circle

1401973 wrote:
I feel sorry for the younger TU fans who didn't get to see him run live in a game. What a great, great running back. Mean stiff arm. Never fumbled (he may have but seems like he never did). Great spin move and tough to take down one on one. Was he the best TU RB in my lifetime? Wow, it is tough to pick between him and Forte.

But Mewelde Moore will always be THE TU model for the RB as WR - 6th all time receptions and 10th all time yards as a receiver in TU history.

Mewelde had incredible balance cutting ability. I don't think I ever saw him stumble or lose his feet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

Forte had the better single season/peak, but Moore was great from day 1 and would definitely be my choice as the best RB I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:55 pm 
Navigator Level

8 years in a row with a legitimate NFL caliber RB in our backfield.

I hope Bradwell (that’s Darius Bradwell not Johnathan Brantley) was listening intently to MM’s stiff arm advice that was evident in the video.
Saw MM throw many a weak DB to the ground in his day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:24 pm 
President's Circle

His run against Texas was amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:12 pm 
Navigator Level

Loved them both but MM is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

1401973 wrote:

I go back more into the past than most of you here, so I would have to include Tommy Mason in with Moore & Forte on "who is the best RB" thing.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:08 pm 
Senior

How about Eddie Price?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:08 pm 
Cornerstone

Many people forget that Forte just had the one great year. Mewelde was very good as a freshman and then amazing as a sophomore. He had the better career.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:16 pm 
Navigator Level

Mewelde ended up with about 100 yards more gained with Forte having the better career average. Forte had over 600 yards rushing his first two years and then almost 900 his third before the monster year. He was good throughout. Mewelde had more receiving yards but their averages per catch were pretty close. Every year of a career counts so I'd say they had pretty equal careers here Glad we had both and glad they did well at the next level.

Last edited by wavedom on Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm 
President's Circle

Mewelde also had a lot more receiving yards. Mewelde had the better college career while Forte was much better in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:29 pm 
Navigator Level

One other thing to consider: Mewelde had three competitive to good teams he played on: JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Roydell Williams were some of his offensive teammates.
Forte didn't have the same talent around him and each of the teams he was on was poor. His Sr year everyone knew he was getting the ball (and he did: almost 400 carries and receptions in one year - amazing he held up).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:58 pm 
Regent's Circle

My 7 years overlapped with 3 of Mewelde and 4 of Forte.
At least THEY were entertaining!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

One of my favorite Tulane players of all time.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 pm 
Regent's Circle

ThePassWave wrote:
How about Eddie Price?

Well there you go. Price definitely belongs in the conversation about who is the best RB in TU history. But he was a little before my time. If my dad were still walking the planet, he would probably put him @ #1.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:57 pm 
Navigator Level

Fan Since '54 wrote:
<a href="tel:1401973">1401973</a> wrote:

I go back more into the past than most of you here, so I would have to include Tommy Mason in with Moore & Forte on "who is the best RB" thing.

Fan since '54

I never got to see Mason run as a TU back and don’t remember seeing much video of him. 54, how would you characterize his running style? He was big and fast, but was he a bruiser or a slasher or a
what exactly? Could you compare him to one of the ‘modern’ backs? If so, was he more of a Forte? Hilliard? Darkwa? Brantley? Curious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

1401973 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

I never got to see Mason run as a TU back and don’t remember seeing much video of him. 54, how would you characterize his running style? He was big and fast, but was he a bruiser or a slasher or a
what exactly? Could you compare him to one of the ‘modern’ backs? If so, was he more of a Forte? Hilliard? Darkwa? Brantley? Curious.

He was a slasher if anything. If I had to compare him to a "modern" TU back, it would have to be Forte. Plus he could bowl over a would be tackler when necessary.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:08 pm 
Regent's Circle

1401973 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54

Stop it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:32 am 
Navigator Level

Pete, you have missed the yearly “TAF” golf tournaments which Mewelde has indeed attended.

2011 and again in 2014 pretty sure it was. I have photographic evidence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 am 
Regent's Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
Pete, you have missed the yearly “TAF” golf tournaments which Mewelde has indeed attended.

Lots of current football players at those tournaments?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am 
Navigator Level

It depends, but usually - the last time Mewelde was there was Cairo and Griff’s rookie season and they were there. Also baseball alums.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am 
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:

Glad to hear they are attending those (and hopefully driving donations) but I'm more excited to see them on the field sharing knowledge and appearing in social media posts that recruits see. When high schoolers are bombarded daily by the media with nothing but P5 P5 P5 P5 P5 P5, it's good to remind them that you can make the NFL from Tulane.