Cornerstone

He was at Virginia Tech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am 
Coach Level

Quote:
Andrew Allegretta Named Voice of the Tulane Green Wave

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/8 ... -wave.aspx

Quote:
As director of broadcasting, Allegretta immediately will assume all play-by-play duties for Green Wave football, men's basketball and baseball. He also will host the football, men's basketball and baseball coaches' shows, in addition to producing a wide variety of content for Tulane Athletics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am 
Emerald Circle

https://twitter.com/AAllegretta?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor

looks like a solid pick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:20 am 
Cornerstone

He looks like a marathoner. He has a good, rather slick voice, and the Twitter video introducing him was very imaginative. It took old clips of his and matched them to somewhat similar Tulane highlights. Considering how late in the day Graff’s move to the Pelicans was announced I was expecting an ad hoc job of replacement on the way to finding a permanent VOTW but this guy is plainly that (as long as he’s here). Welcome aboard, Andrew!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:21 am 
President's Circle

Welcome Mr. Allegretta!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:21 am 
Regent's Circle

Another Syracuse alum sportscaster guy. Guess that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:29 am 
Regent's Circle

Yes, this strong hire was made in a short window. It's a reminder that even amidst the ongoing rigorous self-examinations here which often identify shortcomings and the needed improvements, we Tulane fans give all matters green on this site, jobs with Tulane athletics are plums and talented folks will seek them out.

Welcome, Mr. A.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:36 pm 
Coach Level

sr wrote:
Another Syracuse alum sportscaster guy. Guess that's a good thing.

That’s what Syracuse does. They are big in Broadcasting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:40 pm 
Coach Level

Glad to have him. His background is impressive. Young and energetic. He's getting to come on at a promising time. Good luck to him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:47 pm 
Regent's Circle

Seems like a very solid hire in a short window to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm 
Navigator Level

Like his style and I have to admit to being somewhat relieved. Roll Wave.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 pm 
President's Circle

I think he looks like he has the skill. Now we need him to be hooked up to some Green Blood infusion machines. welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

Looks like this pick is Checkerboards!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

I was concerned that listening to Tulane games would no longer be as enjoyable, and while there will never be another Graf, this guy sounds like a professional that will bring a certain level of excitement to the broadcasts.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 pm 
Regent's Circle

I'm thinking that this hire is a solid one. He's being asked to wear a lot of hats according to his job description, but then again so was Graf. Welcome aboard and good luck Andrew. :-)

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:39 am 
Regent's Circle

Someone who can get a message to him should introduce him to us; I would love to have him at least stop by and say hi to the Lunatic Fringe!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 am 
Navigator Level

Yay. Another new, new person. I don’t know nothing about Mr. Andrew, and wish him well.

My first impression remains unchanged. I can’t wait to hear all about his learning curve and how much he’s learning about New Orleans and Tulane. “Nola Built” and exactly how many on staff are locals or Tulanians?

Had a phone call the other day with the latest new new person who made the mistake of trying to small talk to me about the military appreciation game and how he was trying to figure out how to outreach to military in New Orleans.

Nevermind that the VFW commander is a decades long Tulane multi-sport season ticket holder.

#facepalm

I’m still trying to erase in my memory a very senior administrator in athletics giving a blank stare when introduced to Roch Hontas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 am 
Regent's Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
Yay. Another new, new person. I don’t know nothing about Mr. Andrew, and wish him well.

My first impression remains unchanged. I can’t wait to hear all about his learning curve and how much he’s learning about New Orleans and Tulane. “Nola Built” and exactly how many on staff are locals or Tulanians?

Had a phone call the other day with the latest new new person who made the mistake of trying to small talk to me about the military appreciation game and how he was trying to figure out how to outreach to military in New Orleans.

Nevermind that the VFW commander is a decades long Tulane multi-sport season ticket holder.

#facepalm

I’m still trying to erase in my memory a very senior administrator in athletics giving a blank stare when introduced to Roch Hontas.

Was it small talk or were they hoping you would have an idea? I hope you helped them!
We obviously should only have lifelong Tulane people in every position. That would certainly help, as we have always been incredibly successful

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am 
Navigator Level

Here’s the situation- I promise you that not a single person in the Admissions office understands or cares who Latham or Micah are and what that would mean to building loyalty and traditions to the black hole void that currently exists.

One of our biggest obstacles is the transient nature of our student body and of our alumni (and now staff) and it shows directly in the amount of giving that happens at all levels. Why is someone going to get close and form a bond with a group of people that don’t have roots? Especially when you have the blind leading the blind on these intangibles which are so important in building a brand and a program. Nola Built but nobody’s from here and by the way lives on the Northshore.

I promise you at other institutions you say the name of a legendary athlete etc and the reactions would be a complete 180 by staff and students.

We had a gem with Graff that’s going to be hard to replace with an outsider.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am 
Regent's Circle

Fritz I think sets the best example here. We should always welcome any experienced hire to Tulane and gladly assist that person to achieve full running speed in all matters Tulane. Meanwhile it's great when that person like Fritz did happily embraces Tulane and its history and culture and outworks everyone in the room.

I'm pulling for this new guy to be another Kelley or with luck better even if Tulane's just a stop as he tries to climb the greasy career ladder to success.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 am 
Navigator Level

....as long as the guy doesn't mistake Bradwell for Brantley, I will be fine with him..... :green wink: :green wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 am 
Navigator Level

It has been my impression, across both Dickson and recently, that new new people are not given proper indepth orientations on Tulane.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 am 
President's Circle

We have been very spoiled and lucky for years now.

Go listen to some of the other guys in our conference or former conference. A lot of them are awful. They don't spend two seconds learning anything about us and it shows. I remember several years ago listening to the Houston announcer repeatedly refer to our great guard Ricky Talent and then make jokes about his name certainly being fitting. I remember a Southern Miss. baseball announcer thinking he was off air for a commercial break when our bench was complaining about a bad call. He said something to his cohort like "It was a terrible call, but given what arrogant SOB's those Tulane players are they deserve it."

I like this hire and as long as he does his research and takes the job seriously I will be happy. He will eventually bleed Green.