Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 am 
Emerald Circle

We were losers all those decades when we were exclusively the domain of old New Orleans folks and sensibilities. You know what they say about trying the same thing and expecting different results. I’m glad for the new blood. May they come to love all things Tulane as much as we do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
It has been my impression, across both Dickson and recently, that new new people are not given proper indepth orientations on Tulane.

To be fair, there are few cities, if any, in America that have SO MANY traditions and also expect residents to KNOW ALL OF THEM as is the case with New Orleans. For better or worse.

("worse" only being when you are looked down upon and treated as an outsider by locals for not knowing all of it... it's otherwise all "for better")

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:22 pm 
President's Circle

as far as I can remember Milt Retif is the only renowned coach in any major sport who was a New Orleanian and had a stellar won-loss record while with the Green Wave. Throw in Bennie Ellender from Sulphur, La.; then there was Henry Frnka (Texas-born); Bernie Bierman (Minnesota); Tommy Bowden (Alabama); Rich Rodriguez (Illinois); Perry Clark (DC), Cliff Wells (Indiana); Jim Pittman (Mississippi); Charles Moir (N.C.); Lisa Stockton, N.C.; Rick Jones (N.C.); David Pierce (Houston TX); Larry Smith (Ohio); Vince Gibson (Ala.); Mack Brown (Tenn.). Of course, Curtis Johnson is from New Orleans and Chris Scelfo (Abbeville, La.); Don't understand the Tulane blood lines idea at all. AD Kevin White was from New York originally; Rix Yard was from New Jersey.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
We were losers all those decades when we were exclusively the domain of old New Orleans folks and sensibilities. You know what they say about trying the same thing and expecting different results. I’m glad for the new blood. May they come to love all things Tulane as much as we do.

Conversely, our best periods also came under the same circumstances so I don't think there's any correlation there. Our play by play voice is not going to engender any success (or lack) on the field. He (she) is, however, the conduit from the athletic department to the fans/public and that is a role that should place some importance on local connections. Doesn't have to be the determining factor (and obviously wasn't here) but I think it's a consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm 
Navigator Level

TUPF wrote:

Other than the fact that that never existed good story.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm 
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
It has been my impression, across both Dickson and recently, that new new people are not given proper indepth orientations on Tulane.

To be fair, there are few cities, if any, in America that have SO MANY traditions and also expect residents to KNOW ALL OF THEM as is the case with New Orleans. For better or worse.

("worse" only being when you are looked down upon and treated as an outsider by locals for not knowing all of it... it's otherwise all "for better")

I'm talking about people and relationships with locals and relationships with our own Tulanians. Instead of speed dating every year with new people, we need more Tulanians involved in promoting what we have.

Any transplant can throw on a red dress and get drunk at Red Dress Run and act like they're all legit New Orleans now. That's not what I'm talking about though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:02 pm 
Navigator Level

ml wave wrote:
He (she) is, however, the conduit from the athletic department to the fans/public and that is a role that should place some importance on local connections. Doesn't have to be the determining factor (and obviously wasn't here) but I think it's a consideration.

THIS EXACTLY.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:25 pm 
Navigator Level

Andrew reached out to me very soon after the hiring was announced on Friday. He is very excited and I know he will do a great job in this role. We have set up a day early next week to get acquainted and for me to answer any questions he might have. Knowing his background and who recommended him for the job rest assured he’ll be ready to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm 
Navigator Level

TG wrote:
Andrew reached out to me very soon after the hiring was announced on Friday. He is very excited and I know he will do a great job in this role. We have set up a day early next week to get acquainted and for me to answer any questions he might have. Knowing his background and who recommended him for the job rest assured he’ll be ready to go.

Thanks for the note. And may Andrew call year after year of willing Tulane University football!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27 pm 
Coach Level

And winning Tulane football too!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:42 am 
Breaker Level

For anyone interested, Graff joined our pod for an exit interview to talk about his favorite memories, what plays he would change if he could, and expectations for Fritz and Hunter this year. You can listen here if you'd like:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/3 ... -interview

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 am 
Emerald Circle

TG wrote:

He came to the Greenbacker kickoff dinner and he sounds like he’s trying to take in as much as he can. If we couldn’t get someone with Tulane connections, I’ll take someone that sounds like a pro. Just from talking to him I think he’ll be better than 90% of the ESPN/CBS announcers we get.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:49 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
TG wrote:

He came to the Greenbacker kickoff dinner and he sounds like he’s trying to take in as much as he can. If we couldn’t get someone with Tulane connections, I’ll take someone that sounds like a pro. Just from talking to him I think he’ll be better than 90% of the ESPN/CBS announcers we get.

that was Sean Kelly....a consummate pro.. while Larry Munson is considered the legendary voice of the Georgia Bulldogs, he spent many years with Vanderbilt before he got to Athens. Doesn't matter where you start or where you went to school... you can create your identity by sticking with a program for a long period of time and thus becoming iconic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

fearthewave wrote:
For anyone interested, Graff joined our pod for an exit interview to talk about his favorite memories, what plays he would change if he could, and expectations for Fritz and Hunter this year. You can listen here if you'd like:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/3 ... -interview

Good interview, as always, JP. He sounds genuinely excited about his new job but sad he'll miss the programs he sees on the upswing here. He plans on being in attendance as a fan though!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
waverider wrote:
TG wrote:

that was Sean Kelly....a consummate pro.. while Larry Munson is considered the legendary voice of the Georgia Bulldogs, he spent many years with Vanderbilt before he got to Athens. Doesn't matter where you start or where you went to school... you can create your identity by sticking with a program for a long period of time and thus becoming iconic.

I agree about Kelly. He was a pro and easy to listen to.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson