Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 am 
Emerald Circle

Singleton’s is also worthy of consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Butcher is my tops, Guy’s and Domileses close behind. Sorry to disappoint you Pete, but my top 3 aren’t off the radar

The foodie crowd is obsessed with turkey and the wolf. Hipster food in my book.

I do like the Cubans at steins deli a lot too. And the banh mi place outside Hong Kong market

Hong Kong Market is my happy place on a lot of levels. I shake my head in sadness when i see people going into the crappy buffet next door.

(Also, welcome back)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:42 am 
President's Circle

Which one of you want to trade me something from any of the places referenced in this thread for New York pizza or bagels?

You are all making me hungry and nostalgic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:18 am 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:
Which one of you want to trade me something from any of the places referenced in this thread for New York pizza or bagels?

If New York City actually had a road trip, a Reuben might make the list! (Some may argue pizza is a sandwich...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:01 am 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:

As good as food is here in general, we are sorely lacking in truly good pizza or bagel places.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 am 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
NJwave wrote:

As good as food is here in general, we are sorely lacking in truly good pizza or bagel places.
There's been a pizza renaissance here in the last ~5-7 years...Pizza Delicious, Oak Oven, Ancora, Mid City Pizza, Midway, Pizza Domenica...lots of good options.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:47 pm 
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
NJwave wrote:

when I was at Tulane in the early 80s, it was a pizza ghost town... sadly, the best pizza during my four years showed up at
TJ Quill's... some dude took over their kitchen and made awesome pizzas with garlic butter brushed on the crust... then Al built his pizza shed outside of the Boot. The first month, the pizzas were off the hook.. then Al started to buy cheaper ingredients and it devolved to the level of Pizza Man. Domino's didn't arrive in New Orleans until my senior year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm 
Navigator Level

Tower of Pizza and Mark Twain's Pizza are two oldies but goodies. Fat Boys pizza is new and good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
Tower of Pizza and Mark Twain's Pizza are two oldies but goodies. Fat Boys pizza is new and good.

Been wanting to try Fat Boys, but also suggest you make it out of Metry, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:30 pm 
Coach Level

Why did Ciro's pop into my head?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:05 pm 
Navigator Level

ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Oh I do. But they're really good. Make your way out .In fact I'm glad you responded because I certainly should have included Venezia's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Oh I do. But they're really good. Make your way out .In fact I'm glad you responded because I certainly should have included Venezia's.

Pizza Shoppe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

Sadly, GretnaGrn is right.

Lafayette has three places better than anything i’ve found in New Orleans.
There are a few places in the same ballpark but none as good.

In my opinion, of course :angel:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

Gretna, what was the pizza place in our day that offered a large one-topping pizza and 2 cans of Coke for like $10? AH! got it, Roman Pizza. It was pretty good. They had a store somewhere down in the Garden District on a corner with big doors they could open on nice days... eating there on a nice day with the doors open was great.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Gretna, what was the pizza place in our day that offered a large one-topping pizza and 2 cans of Coke for like $10? AH! got it, Roman Pizza. It was pretty good. They had a store somewhere down in the Garden District on a corner with big doors they could open on nice days... eating there on a nice day with the doors open was great.

That's it but, honestly, I was never that impressed with them or several of the others mentioned (Mo's on the Westbank should probably be on the list of better options in town, BTW). There's ok pizza, but as a whole what we have here just isn't as good as what you can get in most other major cities. Purely my opinion, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:36 am 
President's Circle

Describing a pizza place in New Orleans as good is like talking about the great jambalaya in New York. All relative.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

The only pizza I’ll eat in NOLA is from Ciro’s cot Sud and/or Pizza Delicious. But even those aren’t THAT impressive (and I can make as good or better at home and I’m not a great great pizza maker)

* on edit “only pizza I’ll eat” sounds much more extreme/snooty than I meant it. Spend money on would be more accurate.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
Describing a pizza place in New Orleans as good is like talking about the great jambalaya in New York. All relative.

There is a New Orleans styled food takeout place in the humongous Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philadelphia called Beck’s Cajun Cafe started by some New Orleans transplants. It’s pretty good. The muffuletta is quite serviceable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
The only pizza I’ll eat in NOLA is from Ciro’s cot Sud and/or Pizza Delicious. But even those aren’t THAT impressive (and I can make as good or better at home and I’m not a great great pizza maker)

* on edit “only pizza I’ll eat” sounds much more extreme/snooty than I meant it. Spend money on would be more accurate.

If y'all like Mo's or Venezia's, you'd love Pizza Delicious. Like it's 100x better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm 
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

If y'all like Mo's or Venezia's, you'd love Pizza Delicious. Like it's 100x better.

Yes. Mid-City Pizza is better than Mo's and current Venezia's, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
NJwave wrote:

There is a New Orleans styled food takeout place in the humongous Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philadelphia called Beck’s Cajun Cafe started by some New Orleans transplants. It’s pretty good. The muffuletta is quite serviceable.

I’ve actually been. It was pretty good. I’m not sure New Orleans good, but no question good for the northeast.

Now let’s talk cheesesteaks. Pat’s and Gino’s are so overrated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
NJwave wrote:

I’ve actually been. It was pretty good. I’m not sure New Orleans good, but no question good for the northeast.

Now let’s talk cheesesteaks. Pat’s and Gino’s are so overrated.
This is as good as a compendium as I’ve seen here in Philly. Can’t go wrong with all but the one’s you said.

https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2018/ ... ladelphia/

I’m partial to Oregon Steaks. This write up about sums up Oregon:

The cheesesteak — all grease and salt and spongy bread — was designed by the sandwich gods to rebalance the body’s humors after a night of beers and shots. It’s a summation of poor life choices in sandwich form, and Oregon Steaks knows that. That’s why they’re there. And that’s why you are, too. 2654 South 10th Street, South Philly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Is Mo’s on the West Bank? If so, someone brought that to our tailgate once and I liked it. Not enough to drive over there and buy it. But I liked it.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Is Mo’s on the West Bank? If so, someone brought that to our tailgate once and I liked it. Not enough to drive over there and buy it. But I liked it.
Yes...there's nothing wrong with it (other than the canned mushrooms), it was good for New Orleans pizza 10 years ago, but wouldn't crack a top 10 now. Again, there's been a pizza renaissance, so anyone who says our pizza is ok and then lists places from the '90s is really missing out. Tavolino in Algiers Point is good if you need pizza on the west bank.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Yes...there's nothing wrong with it (other than the canned mushrooms), it was good for New Orleans pizza 10 years ago, but wouldn't crack a top 10 now. Again, there's been a pizza renaissance, so anyone who says our pizza is ok and then lists places from the '90s is really missing out. Tavolino in Algiers Point is good if you need pizza on the west bank.

Midway is my favorite, but you have to like that style. Pizza Domenica for thin crust