Football team staying away from the brutal heat all week

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Football team staying away from the brutal heat all week

Post by OGSB »

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Re: Football team staying away from the brutal heat all week

Post by StPeteWave »

Having played four years of HS football in the Tampa Bay area and remembering the brutally hot August two-a-days, there's more to be lost conditioning wise by avoiding it. FIU will be conditioned and ready for it. Just sayin.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I’m not worried about conditioning as much as I am the repetition gained through less fatigue.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote:I’m not worried about conditioning as much as I am the repetition gained through less fatigue.
I think that was Fritz's point.. they got a lot more practice in without having to break every 10 minutes to hydrate and cool down

the largest part of being ready to play in the heat isn't getting "used to it" by practicing in it, constantly.. it's hydrating the body the days before and the morning of the game to make sure your body is ready for the conditions
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

My instinct is to agree with Rider and Johnny. My only hesitation is that I can't remember a post Katrina Tulane team that looked better conditioned than most of their opponents, especially in heat. In fact, it's been the opposite. It's been less of a glaring problem under Fritz than it was CCJ and CBT, but until we clearly turn that corner in the heat, I am skeptical of any attempt to avoid the heat (even when my logic agrees with moving to the Dome)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
waverider wrote:I’m not worried about conditioning as much as I am the repetition gained through less fatigue.
I think that was Fritz's point.. they got a lot more practice in without having to break every 10 minutes to hydrate and cool down

the largest part of being ready to play in the heat isn't getting "used to it" by practicing in it, constantly.. it's hydrating the body the days before and the morning of the game to make sure your body is ready for the conditions
Good points JM. I played in the mid-50s and water was not seen on the practice field.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

StPeteWave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Good points JM. I played in the mid-50s and water was not seen on the practice field.
Even in the early 90s water was a reward for performance in practice and was withheld as punishment. Hard to believe there weren't more health issues.

Navigator Level

Post by 1401973 »

WaveProf wrote:My instinct is to
....admit this is not my backyard and to acknowledge that TU has a professional head coach who has it figured out. There has not been a game that he has coached at TU where this has been an issue.

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

One thing that should be known about the heat is it affects big men more. When these heat related incidents and teagedys happen it shown that it's he bigger boys nearly all the time. 40 to 60 years ago when DL and OL where 230 in college and 180 in high school those guys could go a good deal longer. Now lbs are bigger than that most of the time. The game has gotten bigger and further removed from distance runner size players and muscle compositions. For those who are out there today how often do you see the receivers and CBs gassed. They probably run the most and are the least gassed. Could it possibly be because they are the lightest players out there?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM