Tulane opens -4

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane opens -4

Unread post by waverider »

From the fearthewave weekly email:
Bill Connelly ranks Temple at #45 overall in the SP+ Rankings, with the #92 Offense (meh) and the #31 Defense (pretty, pretty good). For comparison, Tulane moved up to #33 in the bye week with the #12 offense (that’s awesome) and the #62 defense.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Unread post by DCGreenie »

"After watching Temple play USF this past Thursday, I have no fear that we will outscore them unless we have a fluke game and turn it over 3 or 4 times (like Memphis did)."
Even without turnovers, our Achilles heel is the enormous number of penalties we suffer each game (false starts, holding, etc.) that ruin offensive drives.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

We are now 6 point favorites
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Tough to get a handle on Temple. If they played Tulsa I think I’d have a handle on them. ECU was struggling to move the ball when they played Temple and USF has a very rough QB situation. The gap between those two teams and the rest of the AAC offenses they’ve played is vast.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

WaveProf wrote:We are now 6 point favorites
I don't understand that line and the swing to Tulane - at all.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

1401973 wrote:
Well the metrics say we are better, the analysis says we match up well, and blind betters see our record ATS. Add the three together and.....

We meanwhile have a lifetime of skepticism about road games against solid teams. It colors our worries. But what are our examples this year? Auburn, Army, and Memphis. And we are 2-1 ATS in those as well.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

1401973 wrote:
Temple is wearing throwback uniforms from the Sugar Bowl where we beat them. 20-14. 6 points.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Like most of the country right now it’s decidedly colder than just 24 hours ago in Philadelphia.

Partly sunny temperature forecast for game time is dropping, with temps perhaps nipping 40 around noon ET but mostly in the 30s. Wind around 10 kts making it feel in the 20s as the game progresses. Sunset is at 4:44ET so a lot of the second half will be under the lights and even colder.

Going to be an adult beverage, multilayered Under Armour Cold Gear kind of day.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

TUPF wrote:Like most of the country right now it’s decidedly colder than just 24 hours ago in Philadelphia.

Partly sunny temperature forecast for game time is dropping, with temps perhaps nipping 40 around noon ET but mostly in the 30s. Wind around 10 kts making it feel in the 20s as the game progresses. Sunset is at 4:44ET so a lot of the second half will be under the lights and even colder.

Thanks for the guidance. My in-laws, although no Tulane ties, are still hyped about coming to the game.
Your transportation suggestion is most appreciated.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

StPeteWave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Like most of the country right now it’s decidedly colder than just 24 hours ago in Philadelphia.

Thanks for the guidance. My in-laws, although no Tulane ties, are still hyped about coming to the game.
Glad to help. Counter to my own advice I’m driving in from TUPF South and taking out a second mortgage to park in K Lot near the tailgate. Too much hassle to park at TUPF North and double back.

I used to park at the Fern Rock subway station when going to Eagles games from the burbs. Whichever station you board at, take it to the end and make sure you have return tokens in hand for each of you.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

TUPF, I know Philly is a tough town. Not sure about Temple fans. What do you expect for attendance? 20k?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

1401973 wrote:TUPF, I know Philly is a tough town. Not sure about Temple fans. What do you expect for attendance? 20k?
Low this year was the opener vs. Bucknell, 26k. High was 34k vs. Memphis. Last home game, where they got smoked by UCF, was 30k but they had the win last week at USF to make them bowl eligible.

The cold might drive this under 30k and with the Eagles hosting the Patriots on Sunday it might pick off a few more. I’d say 28k in the lower bowl.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

that's pretty decent. 5 straight years of success and bowls will do that I guess. Let's hope we get there soon. An engaged 25 to 30k in Yulman would make it a tough place to play.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Espn put win chances at 64.6%
waverider
Cornerstone

Maybe this is unwarranted, but I’m a little worried about our passing game and ball security on a dry, cold day. Receivers, runners, etc will have gloves but JM can only wear one.
Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

waverider wrote:Maybe this is unwarranted, but I’m a little worried about our passing game and ball security on a dry, cold day. Receivers, runners, etc will have gloves but JM can only wear one.
Agree. A snarky rejoinder would be that it’ll be the same conditions on the home side of the field but I do share your concerns.

Maybe Temple’s throwback 1935 jerseys will be made of 84 year old materials and they’ll freeze their butts off.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Hot weather has seemingly sometimes given Tulane a home field advantage. Sometimes not. So maybe cold helps our northern brethren and maybe it doesn't.

I'm just wondering why won't JM wear two gloves if he wants to? How do we know that? I see qbs do it all the time although probably the majority don't.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:Hot weather has seemingly sometimes given Tulane a home field advantage. Sometimes not. So maybe cold helps our northern brethren and maybe it doesn't.

I'm just wondering why won't JM wear two gloves if he wants to? How do we know that? I see qbs do it all the time although probably the majority don't.
I’ve seen us disadvantaged by the heat far more times than advantaged by it
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

This is just one observation but I did a high school playoff game last Friday under the lights and at kickoff it was 40 and was 35 in the 4Q. It was clear with a slight breeze. I really didn’t see anything in the game that I would say was affected by the temperature. Most players had gloves and long sleeves but no one had those muff hand warmers. As an umpire I wore Under Armor Cold Gear layers and was comfortable and we don’t move 1/10 as much as the players do.

Unless we have a bunch of hothouse flowers on our team I don’t think it’s a factor. If you are standing still in the stands that’s another story.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

waverider wrote:Maybe this is unwarranted, but I’m a little worried about our passing game and ball security on a dry, cold day. Receivers, runners, etc will have gloves but JM can only wear one.
Teddy Bridgewater laughs at this take.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
waverider
Cornerstone

Sophandros wrote:
Teddy Bridgewater laughs at this take.
why? He likes cold weather? He fumbled a ball at Navy because he had no grip like JM?
Tulane Greenbackers

StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

TUPF wrote:
StPeteWave wrote:

Glad to help. Counter to my own advice I’m driving in from TUPF South and taking out a second mortgage to park in K Lot near the tailgate. Too much hassle to park at TUPF North and double back.

I used to park at the Fern Rock subway station when going to Eagles games from the burbs. Whichever station you board at, take it to the end and make sure you have return tokens in hand for each of you.
I just got the word that our host prefers to drive, so plans have changed.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Taking a subway to a college football game sounds like my absolute dream. That’s really cool/convenient. Somehow the unreliability of the streetcars dampens my enthusiasm for doing so in New Orleans....
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

StPeteWave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
StPeteWave wrote:

I just got the word that our host prefers to drive, so plans have changed.
$22 to park in K Lot which is the location of the tailgate. That’s a lot less than I had expected. It’s $40 for Eagles games.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:$22 to park in K Lot which is the location of the tailgate. That’s a lot less than I had expected. It’s $40 for Eagles games.
In fairness, the Dome charged $10 (?) for parking for Tulane games, and I'm sure they charged way more than that for Saints (even back then)