Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 7254
Tulane's favored by one. Probably about right. I favor the Wave out of sentiment but no strong feelings about expected result today. This is like a one beer bet game not even a six pack.

Team looked very tired against UCF. Let's see if Hunter expands the rotation today.

Guerry's take: https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 11bb6.html

Hunter says they looked "mentally" tired not necessarily physical. We're splitting hairs here. Practical result was same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23120
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Tulsa scares me more knowing they gave Houston their first conference loss last week. But they might be a different team on the road.

Otherwise, agree with above. Who knows what Tulane team shows up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Posts: 2163
Location: Broadmoor
It seems like just about every team in the conference has had a WTF game. Hopefully, Tuesday was our one and only.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:48 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:05 pm
Posts: 1779
Tulsa’s big man Igbanu is a load. When he catches the ball with his back to the basket, he likes to go to his left. If Tulane is to be successful they have to make him go the other way. He will get his rebounds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:12 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 11471
Location: Chicago
ESPN3 only?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:45 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4983
Yankeewave wrote:
ESPN3 only?


Yes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:47 pm 
Offline
Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm
Posts: 37
We need a big guy in the middle. Ali should get more minutes. Rebounding is a major issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:49 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4983
Another terrible performance. Really bad shot selection. We don’t move the ball on offense. We barely even attempt to run anymore and we don’t box out. The lack of effort is very disappointing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22343
Location: North Kenner
purplehaz3 wrote:
We need a big guy in the middle. Ali should get more minutes. Rebounding is a major issue.

Days is ok but once he’s in foul trouble (and even when he’s in) we get beat under the rim and as you said, we get out rebounded.

Bright spot: We may get to see Coach Hunter walk on water.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:50 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22343
Location: North Kenner
NJwave wrote:
Another terrible performance. Really bad shot selection. We don’t move the ball on offense. We barely even attempt to run anymore and we don’t box out. The lack of effort is very disappointing.

The lack of depth is showing. We ran all over the SWAC teams on our scheduled and aren’t conditioned enough to keep it going against good teams.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8525
Location: Charlotte
what a dumpster fire...

if Hunter considers these last two games as "teachable moments".. the only thing learned is that we are awful on offense

Hightower has lost all of his confidence... he's afraid to shoot

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22343
Location: North Kenner
Johnny Mac wrote:
what a dumpster fire...

if Hunter considers these last two games as "teachable moments".. the only thing learned is that we are awful on offense

Hightower has lost all of his confidence... he's afraid to shoot

I was wondering if something was wrong with his hands. The last two games he has had trouble handling the ball on the floor as well.

We look like a more athletic Conroy coached team.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:54 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 3095
That did look like a Conroy team today.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4121
Tulsa wins by 13, I think. Simply got beat by a better team. The last 10 minutes was a clinic. As Doc said, we had no answer for the big guy. And we failed to guard a kid that hit four 3’s from same spot in the corner on final 10 minutes. Tulsa really worked us with crisp passing and plenty easy looks. Offensively we did not have a lot of rhythm and settled for some long range shots. The AAC is a very underrated league. Love to have the big guy from Tulsa. On a positive note, pretty good crowd for a Tulane athletic event. Must be a crappy weather day in NOLA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22343
Location: North Kenner
tjtlja wrote:
Tulsa wins by 13, I think. Simply got beat by a better team. The last 10 minutes was a clinic. As Doc said, we had no answer for the big guy. And we failed to guard a kid that hit four 3’s from same spot in the corner on final 10 minutes. Tulsa really worked us with crisp passing and plenty easy looks. Offensively we did not have a lot of rhythm and settled for some long range shots. The AAC is a very underrated league. Love to have the big guy from Tulsa. On a positive note, pretty good crowd for a Tulane athletic event. Must be a crappy weather day in NOLA.

Actually a picture perfect day here. Not all fans are like you.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:58 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4121
Why thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:01 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4121
waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
what a dumpster fire...

if Hunter considers these last two games as "teachable moments".. the only thing learned is that we are awful on offense

Hightower has lost all of his confidence... he's afraid to shoot

I was wondering if something was wrong with his hands. The last two games he has had trouble handling the ball on the floor as well.

We look like a more athletic Conroy coached team.


If you were there, you should know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:01 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4121
waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
what a dumpster fire...

if Hunter considers these last two games as "teachable moments".. the only thing learned is that we are awful on offense

Hightower has lost all of his confidence... he's afraid to shoot

I was wondering if something was wrong with his hands. The last two games he has had trouble handling the ball on the floor as well.

We look like a more athletic Conroy coached team.


If you were there, you should know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:04 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4983
25 of our 55 field goal attempts were from 3. It is just too many 3s considering we don’t get any second chance point. We aren’t getting any easy baskets or as many trips to the line. We have power forwards playing center and 2 guards playing the point. It’s a lot of the same issues we had under Dunleavy. We are more athletic but small and have no consistent point guard play.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:13 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4121
NJWave, considering our complete makeover, we are so much better. The comparisons to Dunleavy are not correct. It will take some time. Basketball at Tulane will succeed with this coach provided the damn administration is on board to some minute degree. We have the coach, do we have the school?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:22 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4983
tjtlja wrote:
NJWave, considering our complete makeover, we are so much better. The comparisons to Dunleavy are not correct. It will take some time. Basketball at Tulane will succeed with this coach provided the damn administration is on board to some minute degree. We have the coach, do we have the school?


I just meant guys playing out of position which was a similar issue under Dunleavy. No question we are better and Hunter is doing a good job. The last two losses really hurt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:44 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16700
67-54 Tulsa.

Lotta learning going on.

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23120
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Hunter can do all the "it's mental, not physical" excuse-making he wants but I believe we're just exhausted. All the stuff we're not doing - not making extra passes, jacking too many threes, not shooting well, not rebounding, not rotating quickly enough when the opponent makes more than one or two passes - these are all what happens when guys are physically exhausted. I've been concerned about that since Hunter announced he only ever plays 7 or 8 guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 3095
PeteRasche wrote:
Hunter can do all the "it's mental, not physical" excuse-making he wants but I believe we're just exhausted. All the stuff we're not doing - not making extra passes, jacking too many threes, not shooting well, not rebounding, not rotating quickly enough when the opponent makes more than one or two passes - these are all what happens when guys are physically exhausted. I've been concerned about that since Hunter announced he only ever plays 7 or 8 guys.


It may not be ideal, but it’s worked for him in the past and it’s worked for plenty others in the past too. Our current 7-8 guys just aren’t good enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4983
PeteRasche wrote:
Hunter can do all the "it's mental, not physical" excuse-making he wants but I believe we're just exhausted. All the stuff we're not doing - not making extra passes, jacking too many threes, not shooting well, not rebounding, not rotating quickly enough when the opponent makes more than one or two passes - these are all what happens when guys are physically exhausted. I've been concerned about that since Hunter announced he only ever plays 7 or 8 guys.


Honest question to somebody who nows the rigors of college basketball, do you think they are practicing too hard? Otherwise, do 18 to 22 year old kids get physically worn out after playing a lot of minutes over a few month period to the point that they can’t recover properly even after 4 days between games?

While Days has played less minutes than other guys, he has not hit a freshman wall and seems to be the guy playing the hardest. He is setting screens all over the place, taking charges, blocking shots and tasked with trying to defend guys that are much bigger. His play continues to improve. Granted he doesn’t shoot so we wouldn’t know if his shot is effected by all the minutes, but he is the one guy that continues to do all the little things.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], OGSB, true green and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group