Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tulane Tulsa MBB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 pm 
Trainer

Keep in mind that we did beat Cincinnati, were close to beating Memphis, played solid against UConn and beat Temple on the road (and Utah who beat Kentucky). These teams are pretty damn good. I think we need more depth but I don't think it's fair to say Hunter will be walking on water just yet. The team just needs to shoot better and they've had great shooting games. Might just be a rough patch.

Days is great but he's young and needs to put on 10-15lbs. We need a bigger body to rebound. Ali looks big...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

Pete is right. They are exhausted. The old time phrase applies here: "They have no legs."

They have been practicing hard since June as Guerry quoted Hunter today in NOLA game day article.

I guessed this might happen when I saw the intense playing style in early games and the limited subbing but I was hoping it would not occur until mid-February if at all.

When playing an AAC level team, Tulane has to shoot 40% to win. It has not come close the last two games for whatever reasons.

Disappointingly too I thought Tulsa HC outcoached Hunter in second half. I'll just treat it as a compliment to Tulsa.

I totally support Hunter. Program today is miles ahead of previous admin. I was (perhaps vainly) hoping as a fan, we could have an immediate turn around. I guess it will just be more gradual.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:44 pm 
President's Circle

purplehaz3 wrote:
Keep in mind that we did beat Cincinnati, were close to beating Memphis, played solid against UConn and beat Temple on the road (and Utah who beat Kentucky). These teams are pretty damn good. I think we need more depth but I don't think it's fair to say Hunter will be walking on water just yet. The team just needs to shoot better and they've had great shooting games. Might just be a rough patch.

Days is great but he's young and needs to put on 10-15lbs. We need a bigger body to rebound. Ali looks big...

Memphis is, those other teams aren’t.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:20 pm 
President's Circle

I don’t think Hunter was out coached in the second half. He was out talented. Just like Doc said before the game, we would not contain their big guy. We had no answer for him. Whenever we play a team with an outstanding inside game, we are basically done. We just don’t match up at this point in time in the Hunter era against teams with outstanding low post players.

As far as playing 7-8 guys, many teams do that. Duke, Virginia, Baylor, etc. Their 9-13 guys only play minutes in blowouts. We have had several occasions this year when we had a week off between games. We have another week off right now before we play at ECU. The reason we are getting beat is we are playing good teams every single outing. No more SLU’s, Northwestern State’s, or Jackson State’s. I think us having tired legs and being exhausted in game 18 is a reach.

The one thing I wonder about is when, if ever, does Hunter start playing for next year. Will there be a point in the season where he says let’s play Russell, McGee, Pope, and Ali and get them ready for next year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm 
Regent's Circle

I don’t have an opinion on the talent of Tulsa so that very well could be the answer. I did see Tulsa make a lot of excellent and clever plays and decisions on both sides of the ball in the second half to break open a tie game. I attribute much of that to coaching so we’ll just have to disagree there.

Sorry but few teams play Hunter’s intense style on both sides of the ball. This team is worn out and there is a ton of difference between a six or seven man rotation and an eight or even nine man one. Let’s see if McGee and Ali start to get serious minutes here on out.

Tulane is off for a week and then plays at ECU. They won’t be out talented there. I assume they will be well rested but who knows?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:58 am 
Emerald Circle

Quote:
“I’m not mad at them today,” Hunter said. “We played hard and with energy, but you have to make shots and we didn’t. We can’t control that. I guarantee once we get out of this, we’ll be OK.”

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/article_5165b5b4-3a45-11ea-87e9-5b79f6592281.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 am 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
I don’t have an opinion on the talent of Tulsa so that very well could be the answer. I did see Tulsa make a lot of excellent and clever plays and decisions on both sides of the ball in the second half to break open a tie game. I attribute much of that to coaching so we’ll just have to disagree there.

Sorry but few teams play Hunter’s intense style on both sides of the ball. This team is worn out and there is a ton of difference between a six or seven man rotation and an eight or even nine man one. Let’s see if McGee and Ali start to get serious minutes here on out.

Tulane is off for a week and then plays at ECU. They won’t be out talented there. I assume they will be well rested but who knows?

it was good to see Ali on the floor... RJ McGee is lost out there and it's due to not having the minutes before we got into conference... he ran up the floor for a fast break before we secured the ball.. he faked a due out of his boots and decided to kick it back out rather than go strong to the hole.

My buddy texted that Hunter should just start playing more guys despite his personal "style" because we certainly can't be any worse. I partially agree with that in the sense we've got nothing to lose at this point and we need to develop talent.. but McGee is evidence we could do worse!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am 
President's Circle

A week ago after beating Temple we thought we were much better than we really are. It includes me.

McGee plays like a lot of freshman, very timid offensively and doesn’t know all the defensive assignments. It’s very difficult to judge freshman.

I really like Days. He gets all the concepts and plays really hard, but needs to drastically improve on offense.

Walker needs to be much more consistent. Hightower is very good. Zhang has improved and shown some nice flashes. It’s a good nucleus for next year.

Even if we don’t win another game (we will), it has still been a major improvement from last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:39 am 
Emerald Circle

We saw this pattern 2 years ago with Dunleavy's second team; come off a good opening road trip, and then drive into the ditch.
Hopefully we can get it back on course this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 pm 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:
A week ago after beating Temple we thought we were much better than we really are. It includes me.

McGee plays like a lot of freshman, very timid offensively and doesn’t know all the defensive assignments. It’s very difficult to judge freshman.

I really like Days. He gets all the concepts and plays really hard, but needs to drastically improve on offense.

Walker needs to be much more consistent. Hightower is very good. Zhang has improved and shown some nice flashes. It’s a good nucleus for next year.

Even if we don’t win another game (we will), it has still been a major improvement from last year.

yeah, it's a great step in the right direction and perhaps we needed to be jolted back to reality

I really hope it's not exhaustion catching up with the guys and it's just a rough shooting patch. I will be at the game in Greenvegas this Saturday. Hopefully, things turn around like Hunter is saying it should

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:51 pm 
Coach Level

Hightower had his hand and wrist taped up a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

doc wrote:
Hightower had his hand and wrist taped up a couple of weeks ago.
That would explain why the past couple games at times he’s looked like he was physically unable to handle the basketball.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 am 
Trainer

Johnny Mac wrote:
NJwave wrote:

yeah, it's a great step in the right direction and perhaps we needed to be jolted back to reality

I really hope it's not exhaustion catching up with the guys and it's just a rough shooting patch. I will be at the game in Greenvegas this Saturday. Hopefully, things turn around like Hunter is saying it should

Tulsa blew out Memphis. The only real bad loss was against UCF. The reality check is that we need to take higher percentage shots. We look best when we move the ball around and be patient. I'm very confident we will win against ECU on Saturday. The long break will help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

Tulsa just got a 3 with no time left to beat #23 Wichita St

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson