Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
Yes, I know Pratt enrolled early but if he's the starter coming out of spring practice we're in BIG trouble.

Unless we get a very good transfer a month later. I have no doubt we'll get a transfer QB, the question is simply whether he's good enough to beat out the others.

I'm encouraged by Fritz's comment about how many people are contacting us behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:39 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
Yes, I know Pratt enrolled early but if he's the starter coming out of spring practice we're in BIG trouble.

Unless we get a very good transfer a month later. I have no doubt we'll get a transfer QB, the question is simply whether he's good enough to beat out the others.

I'm encouraged by Fritz's comment about how many people are contacting us behind the scenes.

Howard will be the starter out of spring practice barring disaster. A transfer could take over during the summer or (more likely) during fall camp, but we're not getting another before the end of the school year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Please stop with the tough schedule hysteria. That got said about last season then it urned out it was in the middle in the 60's. We don't have anybody as good as Auburn. Auburn was a step down form Ohio St. and Oklahoma. It's year 5. It's ok to expect success against this schedule.

You can say mid-60's, but, as with recruiting, we're always going to be behind at least 75% of the "P5" schools. So already we're starting at 50 or so as a high point.

Mississippi State just got way tougher with their transfer QB coming in. That was their glaring weakness. They're not world-beaters all of a sudden, but they're now a mid-range SEC team IMHO.

Way overstated. They remain very beatable.

Didn't say they weren't. I don't think a mid-tier SEC team is unbeatable. Even with pathetic QB play (among other issues) they were a bowl team last year. You may want to refer to the bolded portion of the original quote.... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 pm 
Coach Level

I hear ya but again the Bowl team tag has lost it's meaning now that 78 teams are in one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Howard will be the starter out of spring practice barring disaster. A transfer could take over during the summer or (more likely) during fall camp, but we're not getting another before the end of the school year.

Not sure if you understood me but I was saying "a month later" as in, a transfer QB after school ended, a month (or so) after spring practice.

In thinking about your earlier quote and my comment on it, it occurred to me that if Pratt somehow beat out Howard in spring practice and was number one after, it would actually be a GOOD thing, because Howard knows the offense and looked pretty capable (and physically imposing) during his brief playing moments this past season. If Pratt beat him out in that short of a window, that means Pratt (a) picked up the offense REALLY fast, (b) is more physically developed than you'd expect from a frosh and must fit really well in Hall's offense, and (c) gives us a seriously bright future since he's got four years ahead of him. In other words, if Pratt comes out of spring practice as the number one and we still get a good transfer who starts in 2020, we're in good shape for the years to follow.

(it should also be said, you could replace Pratt with Ibieta in all the above)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

If a freshman or any newbie becomes QB1 in a real competition it’s for many really good reasons. This staff knows what it’s doing and if they throw new guy into the starting role they’ve figured the pluses outweigh the minuses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 pm 
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Please stop with the tough schedule hysteria. That got said about last season then it urned out it was in the middle in the 60's. We don't have anybody as good as Auburn. Auburn was a step down form Ohio St. and Oklahoma. It's year 5. It's ok to expect success against this schedule.

You can say mid-60's, but, as with recruiting, we're always going to be behind at least 75% of the "P5" schools. So already we're starting at 50 or so as a high point.

It's not a tough schedule. It's just not. There is not one team on this schedule that comes close to being considered unbeatable. 12-0 should be the goal against this schedule. It's year 5. It's OK to have high expectations.

#stopmakingexcuses
Agreed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Not sure if you understood me but I was saying "a month later" as in, a transfer QB after school ended, a month (or so) after spring practice.

In thinking about your earlier quote and my comment on it, it occurred to me that if Pratt somehow beat out Howard in spring practice and was number one after, it would actually be a GOOD thing, because Howard knows the offense and looked pretty capable (and physically imposing) during his brief playing moments this past season. If Pratt beat him out in that short of a window, that means Pratt (a) picked up the offense REALLY fast, (b) is more physically developed than you'd expect from a frosh and must fit really well in Hall's offense, and (c) gives us a seriously bright future since he's got four years ahead of him. In other words, if Pratt comes out of spring practice as the number one and we still get a good transfer who starts in 2020, we're in good shape for the years to follow.

Maybe it's the years of Tulane fandom coming through, but it feels like the much more likely reason would be bad (injury/ineligibility/etc). There are very few QBs who are ready as true freshmen, even enrolling early.

Still, no reason to go borrowing trouble or guessing. Time will tell. Hopefully baseball can provide a distraction until this turns into a thread about what uniform they'll be wearing or where to go eat....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Or it turns out to be the rare Fr QBs that turn out to be really good.* Having Pratt in during the spring helps the staff evaluate the level of importance in getting a transfer, even for depth behind Howard.

*I don’t know a lot about Pratt, but if he was that good, he probably wouldn’t be here.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:12 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

It would absolutely be a good thing. Howard did look good in his limited playing time. Pratt showed a lot of moxie switching schools this season where there was an incumbent starter. It's going to be fun to see this competition play out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:12 pm 
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote:
FW wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Our SOS was 57. It was 47 before the bowl season.

This was Johnny Macs response to the SOS question in another recent thread about final rankings:

68th on "power rankings guru"
57th on teamrankings.com

57 was also from the NCAA. And, as mentioned before, after the regular season it was 47.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:11 pm 
Coach Level

And next season is not as tough as this year as no one on it is near what Auburn was.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

Ms St AND NW on the schedule is tougher than JUST playing Auburn. We play Army both years and FCS both years. So OOC gets tougher next year. That’s blatantly obvious

In conference is more complicated, more room to argue either way, but it certainly doesn’t look radically easier

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:36 pm 
Coach Level

WaveProf wrote:
Ms St AND NW on the schedule is tougher than JUST playing Auburn. We play Army both years and FCS both years. So OOC gets tougher next year. That’s blatantly obvious

In conference is more complicated, more room to argue either way, but it certainly doesn’t look radically easier

NW was awful last year and there's nothing to indicate they'll make some dramatic improvement next season. MSU was not good and won't be good. Army was nothing last year and will be nothing this year. So clearly a weaker schedule. No one felt we'd beat Auburn. Many will believe that we can beat NW and MSU.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:44 am 
Regent's Circle

I just love the fact you all continue to troll the emu with NW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:14 am 
Emerald Circle

Anybody who “expects” us to beat Ms St AND NW needs a strong dose of reality medication. Is it possible? Sure. Maybe even more possible than beating Auburn once. But it’s still be a helluva feat. I have a strong hope we’ll beat one of the two, but either would be a much much tougher win than Army was last year, and we NEED to beat one of those two (plus Army) just to match last years OOC record. So that makes this years OOC clearly a tougher slog.

Is Auburn >> MS St? Sure. But NW >> Army 19 and Army 20 is likely >> FIU

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 am 
Coach Level

It's year 5 so there is no reason not to expect to beat those teams. We don't play them at the same time. NW and Army are not good. We get MSU early in Leach's tenure before his system is rolling. So 4-0 is possible and 3-1 is very realistic. As for reality medication we all hope you've found some to escape that alternate universe you live in where UCONN is not in the AAC this season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 am 
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:

Speaking of NU is that the B1G school with the “N” for Nowledge? I want to beat them.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:

I bit my tongue. It's not nice to be mean to the mentally deficient

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 am 
President's Circle

To me, I just want to be 5-3 or better in the AAC. That should be the gauge of our success, in my opinion. The fact that we have not beaten a P5 program in forever makes me want to win the Northwestern and Miss State games, but that fact also makes you look at those games and makes them tougher to win, especially both, on the road. I'll take a win against either of them, but for once, I agree with wavedom :shock: , we should expect to win both in year 5.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:37 pm 
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:

It's not really trolling, it's the smart, if inaccurate, way to label them. The vast majority of people who read this board don't know and care less what sort of initialization Northwestern prefers.

Last edited by long green on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:41 pm 
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:
Anybody who “expects” us to beat Ms St AND NW needs a strong dose of reality medication. Is it possible? Sure. Maybe even more possible than beating Auburn once. But it’s still be a helluva feat. I have a strong hope we’ll beat one of the two, but either would be a much much tougher win than Army was last year, and we NEED to beat one of those two (plus Army) just to match last years OOC record. So that makes this years OOC clearly a tougher slog.

Is Auburn >> MS St? Sure. But NW >> Army 19 and Army 20 is likely >> FIU

I don't know about that assessment at the bottom. At best, Northwestern will be as good as that 2019 Army team, which had great play-over-their-head mojo. That mojo is gone and Army is not as talented as FIU. I will agree that the 2020 Army game probably won't be as easy as the 2019 FIU game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

I think people are underestimating Northwestern. They were awful last year but have been pretty consistent prior to that. Hopefully they are just as bad as last year and we get the W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 pm 
Cornerstone

Yankeewave wrote:
I think people are underestimating Northwestern. They were awful last year but have been pretty consistent prior to that. Hopefully they are just as bad as last year and we get the W

I am expecting a bounce back but all the way back to the best sort of teams under Fitzgerald?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:

To be precise, it's person not people.