Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:22 pm 
Breaker Level

charlamange8 wrote:
On JaTavious Whitlow...

I read the Montgomery Advertiser article from a couple of years ago when he originally signed...his momma said was quoted as saying "“Boobee is so young, so immature, so dependent on me, I just couldn’t see myself sending him out there,” she said. “I was a nervous wreck.”

Whitlow then was quoted later in the article..."I didn't even tell Tulane I wasn't coming"

"The character of a man is known from his conversations"
- Meander

We probably should've seen this coming...speculation was that he wasn't going to class. That would not have worked here either. I hope he grows up a bit.

There was an article that came out before the Tulane-Auburn game where they (he and his mom) twisted his recruitment process into Tulane not being willing to give him a chance at RB and Auburn the only team willing to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:26 pm 
Cornerstone

A lot of people do that after the fact. He might have spent one year Bradwelling between QB and RB but he was headed to RB here. Damn glad to have Cameron Carroll.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

Here’s a familiar name. Maryland QB Ty Pigrome has entered the portal.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
Here’s a familiar name. Maryland QB Ty Pigrome has entered the portal.

In my naps, I keep half-dreaming that J. R. House has entered the transfer portal too. IIRC, he is now on the Reds coaching staff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

2020 class was ranked 4th best “group of five” class (second in the American) by Sports illustrated. Cincinnati was #1.

Quote:
4. Tulane

Top Recruit: LB Jesus Machado

Sleeper: QB Michael Pratt

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... five-title

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

Last edited by waverider on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

surprised by Toledo, but people are probably saying the same thing about us....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
2020 class was ranked 4th best “group of five” class (second in the American) by Sports illustrated. Cincinnati was #1.

Cincinnati's about to lose their coach so we'll see how many stick and what happens to their ranking. Fans in my office have already accepted he's likely gone. Not sad, more surprised it took this long.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:

Cincinnati's about to lose their coach so we'll see how many stick and what happens to their ranking. Fans in my office have already accepted he's likely gone. Not sad, more surprised it took this long.

He's really going to go to Michigan State? They're kind of a mess right now, and it's a little brother school.
We recruited as well as we can this year; top 5 G5. Lots of really good players. And yet, #66, right in the middle. Kind of explains why some schools are holding back 40% of their schollies for transfers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:24 pm 
President's Circle

Recruiting update -

Jalen White signed with Georgia Southern

An’Darius Coffey signed with Duke

Unless there is someone we are unaware of, it looks as though the 2020 high school class is a wrap. All eyes on the portal for a QB and possibly a WR or RB. I hope Michael Young is considering us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:28 pm 
President's Circle

GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:

He's really going to go to Michigan State? They're kind of a mess right now, and it's a little brother school.
We recruited as well as we can this year; top 5 G5. Lots of really good players. And yet, #66, right in the middle. Kind of explains why some schools are holding back 40% of their schollies for transfers.

66 is BS. That rating is solely based on our G5 status. This is a top 40 class coming off of two 7-6 seasons. Just imagine what we could get if we were a 9 win team. Tulane better make a financial commitment to WF and his staff immediately. We have something brewing here. Please don’t screw it up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:39 am 
Breaker Level

Pretty interesting that there is recent publicity about Haden Beal - Running Back from Tenn. signing with Tulane - but no mention elsewhere. Must be some sort of hang up or mis understanding? Pretty productive in HS.

https://www.wbbjtv.com/2020/02/03/beal- ... -football/

https://www.lexingtonprogress.com/2020/ ... niversity/

Anyone know the scoop?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:50 am 
Emerald Circle

RI WAVE wrote:
Pretty interesting that there is recent publicity about Haden Beal - Running Back from Tenn. signing with Tulane - but no mention elsewhere. Must be some sort of hang up or mis understanding? Pretty productive in HS.

https://www.wbbjtv.com/2020/02/03/beal- ... -football/

https://www.lexingtonprogress.com/2020/ ... niversity/

Anyone know the scoop?
Isn't he a PWO?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:57 am 
Breaker Level

waverider wrote:
?

well that would explain it. Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:01 am 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:

66 is BS. That rating is solely based on our G5 status. This is a top 40 class coming off of two 7-6 seasons. Just imagine what we could get if we were a 9 win team. Tulane better make a financial commitment to WF and his staff immediately. We have something brewing here. Please don’t screw it up.

Yes I can’t argue that there is not significant G5 deflation. And I surely agree about the financial commitment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 am 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:

You earn respect by winning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:37 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:

*Vanderbilt and Kansas laugh from atop their piles of money... "yeah, that's it, you gotta win".*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:

*Vanderbilt and Kansas laugh from atop their piles of money... "yeah, that's it, you gotta win".*

For AAC to be recognized as closer to a power conference it is necessary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm 
Cornerstone

Here is a transcript of Fritz’ remarks from yesterday.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2020/2 ... -2020.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Here is a transcript of Fritz’ remarks from yesterday.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2020/2 ... -2020.aspx

Quote:
"This league, I have talked about it before, I was in the Sunbelt before this and I was surprised in my first year in 2016 in the height, the length, the mass, the movement of the big guys in comparison to that league."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

As evidenced by the fact we had a grad transfer from the SBC who was all-SBC when younger but even as a mature 5th year senior at Tulane he wasn't a standout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

If P6 is to become a reality, the narrative has to be promoted at every opportunity, even if it makes Fritz a little uncomfortable to talk (the truth) about the Sunbelt. Note he also said last season Tulane was better than ACC and PAC 12 and it did help his recruiting this year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
If P6 is to become a reality, the narrative has to be promoted at every opportunity, even if it makes Fritz a little uncomfortable to talk (the truth) about the Sunbelt. Note he also said last season Tulane was better than ACC and PAC 12 and it did help his recruiting this year.
I think it's way more important to show that we're better than P5 schools than it is to say we're so much better than other G5s. We're not competing against other G5's for a spot (because there's no spot). We're trying to prove to Playoff folks and the TV contract people that we have a product that people will watch, even perhaps more than a lot of other P5 schools, and therefore the Playoff people should add us to their club because the TV people see value in us and will offer more riches with us included.

If this whole thing were happening 10 or 15 years ago, we'd have a much better shot, because cable TV still ruled the world, TV contract money was spiraling upward ridiculously, and there seemed to be no limit to what people would pay to watch "desirable" college football. They'd probably add us without blinking and throw on another few hundred million to the contract. The problem now is that even if we could categorically prove we have more viewer interest than other current P5 conferences, no one is really sure what's going to happen with the college football TV landscape in the next decade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

Agree. Key is for AAC to get an auto bid to CFP when it expands in a few years. $$$ are obviously important but that recognition alone will matter especially for recruiting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
I think it's way more important to show that we're better than P5 schools than it is to say we're so much better than other G5s. We're not competing against other G5's for a spot (because there's no spot). We're trying to prove to Playoff folks and the TV contract people that we have a product that people will watch, even perhaps more than a lot of other P5 schools, and therefore the Playoff people should add us to their club because the TV people see value in us and will offer more riches with us included.

If this whole thing were happening 10 or 15 years ago, we'd have a much better shot, because cable TV still ruled the world, TV contract money was spiraling upward ridiculously, and there seemed to be no limit to what people would pay to watch "desirable" college football. They'd probably add us without blinking and throw on another few hundred million to the contract. The problem now is that even if we could categorically prove we have more viewer interest than other current P5 conferences, no one is really sure what's going to happen with the college football TV landscape in the next decade.

So like I said above... just win

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:10 pm 
President's Circle

You can bet the money is tied to the eyeballs on the screen and the spectacle of the game for TV viewership purposes, pure and simple. I do not think that will change over the next 15 years. If the eyeballs are watching a TV or a cellphone does not matter; Pete, you hit the nail on the head with saying it will depend on producing a product that people want to watch. We do that as a conference, or as a school, and we're golden. If Tulane becomes wildly successful, and the conference doesn't keep up, then we have to assess our options. Right now, we're nowhere near ahead of the AAC curve, so the issue is moot. However, the conference is rapidly closing the gap on the P5 and taking us along with it. The AAC's only problem is that we don't have the name cachet like the ACC, Pac-12 or Big 12, or the member schools that have the alumni bases they have, to move the needle much more. Therefore, we not only have to have an exciting product, but we have to win. The last AAC bowl season did not help us.

Tulane's basic problem, as we have enumerated many times on here, is a geographically diverse alumni base and not a heritage of a winning program that has produced apathy among the alumni. I have always maintained that sustained success will awaken the sleeping giant. Two 7-6 seasons are good, but not enough to really generate the enthusiasm we need to jump start things.

Too many times we are impatient with incremental improvement, we want the 12-0 season Bowden and RichRod gave us. But really, it is the incremental improvement that will win the day for us, it just has started too late. But better late than never.

Getting back to the subject matter of the original topic, I really like what Fritz did this year. He is building the team from the interior (OL and DL) first, then improving everything else out. Good Olines make so-so QBs good, good Dlines make passing defenses better. Tulane has had good, even great, skill players in the past and have not won. Hell, Elway couldn't win at Stanford. But once you get solid on the LOS, things fall into place.

I would bet anyone on here a steak dinner that, if our OL plays well, Keon Howard will play well. If they do not, he will struggle. All you have to do is watch the tape of the the 2019 Temple game to figure that one out. The same will be true of our pass defense.

Last edited by Rotorooter on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.