Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
I would bet anyone on here a steak dinner that, if our OL plays well, Deion Howard will play well.
I will be the first to claim that steak dinner. Because we don't have anyone named DEION Howard. 8)

Winner, winner, STEAK dinner!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 pm 
President's Circle

This is a quote from WF at his press conference yesterday -

“They go away and figure out that the grass is not always greener. Their parents do not have the opportunity to watch them play or their high school coaches. If I told you how many grad transfers have entered the portal and contacted us and wanted to transfer back that we were not able to take, it would be a surprise. There are quite a few of them.”

I wonder what is the primary reason we are unable to take them (is it scholarship numbers or is it grades). If our level of play continues to get better, I wonder if this level of interest from the portal will change our philosophy on recruiting. If the player is better than what we currently have on the roster at that particular position and he can get into Tulane, I say you have to take the better player even if it is only for one year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:06 am 
Coach Level

As our play gets better our HS recruiting will get better. Like everyone else he understands that to build a program that's where you do it from. Meanwhile we use the transfers to fill holes. He was clearly saying it was a numbers issue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:27 am 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
I would bet anyone on here a steak dinner that, if our OL plays well, Keon Howard will play well. If they do not, he will struggle. All you have to do is watch the tape of the the 2019 Temple game to figure that one out. The same will be true of our pass defense.

It's a bit obvious, but very true nonetheless. I am also happy to see us bolstering those areas so strongly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:21 pm 
Breaker Level

Watched Fritz’s presser, seems he revels in the fact that he has a quality education to present to recruits. He notes that he is dealing with above average students who also bring that intelligence to the field. He recognizes that very few NCAA football players are going to the pros. Although he promotes the fact that we have a few who have made the big leagues. That and the NOLA built ( selling the city) mantra seems to be a hallmark of his recruiting approach.

If a recruit does not have the credits and has not demonstrated the educational acumen to make it at Tulane (admissions), Fritz accepts that and turns it into a positive. A 40 year decision, the transfers that want a post graduate degree from Tulane. He sees the rigorous education as a positive that helps him build a winner.

Fritz is the perfect fit for our educational institution. I am personally glad that we require our athletes to be students with character in addition to great football players. I am proud to be a Greenwave fan, and expect continued success both on the field and in the classroom because of our coaching staff and their dedication to Tulane’s educational mission in addition to building a consistent winning record.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

RI WAVE wrote:
Watched Fritz’s presser, seems he revels in the fact that he has a quality education to present to recruits. He notes that he is dealing with above average students who also bring that intelligence to the field. He recognizes that very few NCAA football players are going to the pros. Although he promotes the fact that we have a few who have made the big leagues. That and the NOLA built ( selling the city) mantra seems to be a hallmark of his recruiting approach.

If a recruit does not have the credits and has not demonstrated the educational acumen to make it at Tulane (admissions), Fritz accepts that and turns it into a positive. A 40 year decision, the transfers that want a post graduate degree from Tulane. He sees the rigorous education as a positive that helps him build a winner.

Fritz is the perfect fit for our educational institution. I am personally glad that we require our athletes to be students with character in addition to great football players. I am proud to be a Greenwave fan, and expect continued success both on the field and in the classroom because of our coaching staff and their dedication to Tulane’s educational mission in addition to building a consistent winning record.
Thank you!

I mentor some local public high school students. A couple of them are athletes. I roll out the statistics but I wonder if they hear: only ~2-3% of high school athletes go on to play in college, and that includes D1-D3. Of those college athletes, only ~2-3% get a sniff of the pros, practice squads, Canada, Europe. So they better take the academics seriously or get a trade at the VoTech because it’s not all SportsCenter. Fritz is spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

Fritz and Hall looking to add new elements to the offense? Dan Gonzalez tweeted this thanking them for their hospitality.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:51 am 
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
2020 class was ranked 4th best “group of five” class (second in the American) by Sports illustrated. Cincinnati was #1.

Quote:
4. Tulane

Top Recruit: LB Jesus Machado

Sleeper: QB Michael Pratt

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... five-title

Pratt is going to be very good. I've talked with people in South Florida who rave about him. Believe it or not, having like 15 D-I guys on his roster hurt him in terms of getting accolades.

Also, Anderson and Machado are going to be very, very good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

Tulane grad transfers Mykel Jones, Kevin Henry say they are where they need to be

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:

Quote:
“I talked to Tulane a few times coming out of high school, but they weren’t really on my radar,” he said. “Once they saw how big my offers were, they kind of laid back.
So help me with the math, was he coming out of HS during late CJ or early Fritz (when WF still didn't know what level of player he needed to recruit and/or didn't think we had any shot)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 am 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
randymc wrote:
https://twitter.com/wgnosports/status/1225068481462272001

When was the last time a recruit did a "trick" reveal where they pulled out something with another school and then dropped it revealing Tulane as the destination? Ever? :thumbsup:

A basketball recruit in 1989? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:

Quote:
“I talked to Tulane a few times coming out of high school, but they weren’t really on my radar,” he said. “Once they saw how big my offers were, they kind of laid back.
So help me with the math, was he coming out of HS during late CJ or early Fritz (when WF still didn't know what level of player he needed to recruit and/or didn't think we had any shot)?

Late CJ. This is Henry's sixth year because of extra medical redshirt. Fritz was still at GSU.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:03 am 
Emerald Circle

grad transfers will help when they are local - cannot hurt that we will have 2 kids from HC this year - should help put us on their radar in the future