Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baseball media day
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:43 pm 
President's Circle

You can watch here: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BdGYQapENzGX

One of the highlights was that he said that Tulane and LSU will now play once a year and alternate home games. We’re going to BR this year, they’re coming to Turchin next year.

Post subject: Re: Baseball media day
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:43 pm 
Navigator Level

Thank God we get a chance to beat lsu in another sport.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:35 pm 
Regent's Circle

Did TJ lose about 20 pounds? Looks in much better shape in media day pics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:
Did TJ lose about 20 pounds? Looks in much better shape in media day pics.

the salt and pepper stubble look is becoming

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 am 
Emerald Circle

He continues his condescending tone toward fans by saying we need to be more realistic with expectations. I don’t think asking for a regional every year is an unreasonable request. I understand his point but I don’t recall too many fans acting like we have been a powerhouse every year since 2005 expecting Omaha annually, but we were in a regional not long before he took over (albeit a much less talented team).

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:

One of the highlights was that he said that Tulane and LSU will now play once a year and alternate home games. We’re going to BR this year, they’re coming to Turchin next year.

So, there'll be some sort of emergency/schedule conflict in 2021 where we'll have to switch and play there and then they'll cancel the series after the regularly scheduled game in BR in '22...sound about right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:52 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

So, there'll be some sort of emergency/schedule conflict in 2021 where we'll have to switch and play there and then they'll cancel the series after the regularly scheduled game in BR in '22...sound about right?

It does. We think it was bad before? Now that the football team did what it did they will be a law unto themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:08 am 
President's Circle

waverider wrote:
He continues his condescending tone toward fans by saying we need to be more realistic with expectations. I don’t think asking for a regional every year is an unreasonable request. I understand his point but I don’t recall too many fans acting like we have been a powerhouse every year since 2005 expecting Omaha annually, but we were in a regional not long before he took over (albeit a much less talented team).

I didn’t want to be the first to bring it up, but I guess it goes right along with him seemingly considering the 32-26 record from last year a success. Different expectation level from the coach and the fans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:23 am 
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

This.
Then again, if they can't arrange a schedule conflict, they're likely to just reneg on coming to New Orleans, and they'll pay us a pittance as a penalty.
And out Administration will take the deal, because we have an inferiority complex.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:

I didn’t want to be the first to bring it up, but I guess it goes right along with him seemingly considering the 32-26 record from last year a success. Different expectation level from the coach and the fans.

We have a basketball coach who flatted out stated on day one that we are going to the NCAA tournament. While it was totally unrealistic, I love his passion for setting the bar for what he expects . Hopefully, the results start to match the passion.

On the other hand, we have a baseball coach that inherited a program with a rich tradition that was in the NCAA tournament who thinks expectations are too high. He is totally wrong, with him at the helm I have no expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:27 pm 
Trainer

I'm still trying to figure out why the continued arrogance towards our fans and our expectations. It is year 4, and we still haven't gone back to where the program was (conference championship and regional bid) when he took the reigns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:37 pm 
Regent's Circle

My expectation is a regional or a new coach. Period. I would prefer a regional, but I really don't like his tone out the gate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 pm 
President's Circle

Why would he even bring that up? Just ridiculous. A huge issue that plagues this coach is his lack of local recruiting (LA, TX, MS - 9 players on the 35 man roster with 3 being attributable to the prior staff - the 3 holdovers are some of the best players on the team, while only 2 of the 6 Jewett has recruited will play significant innings). Six kids from the states mentioned above over a four year period of recruiting doesn’t make sense. There is no connection with local coaches. Go back to the 2016 team that almost won the Oxford regional. 19 players on that team were from LA, MS, & TX. Of the 19, 14 played considerable innings.

For me, bad baseball at Tulane doesn’t make sense. Our AD has made some great hires, but the not give a crap about baseball is disappointing and pisses me off. I will go on the record right now telling Dannen to hire Jake Gautreau immediately. He is ready!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:28 pm 
Breaker Level

Did any of you actually watch the entire thing? I doubt it. He said their is pressure to win & he expects to... or he will be replaced. I don't even get what tone ya'll are talking about?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:02 am 
President's Circle

BACONWAVE wrote:
Did any of you actually watch the entire thing? I doubt it. He said their is pressure to win & he expects to... or he will be replaced. I don't even get what tone ya'll are talking about?

I know you had to come defend your boy, but I did watch the entire thing. Twice
He did say what you say he said but that’s pretty standard. It’s a matter of fact really, even when Tulane didn’t judge by wins and losses, the Toledo’s and Finney’s eventually got fired for losing.

Here’s the part people have a problem with https://twitter.com/quickpitches32/status/1224906116984909824?s=21

Quote:
the baseball fans in this school should hold themselves up high to be honest with you, because Tulane baseball since 2005 kinda ehh when you think about but everybody thinks like they went to Omaha and won it like the last 10 years

I don’t know how he thought that was a smart thing to say

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 am 
Regent's Circle

This sort of reminds me of Bowden's attitude in 1997/98. All it tells me is that if Jewett wins, he's gone; and if he loses, he's gone.

Obviously if there ever is a sport we deserve to be aspirational for post-season and even NCs, it's baseball. I'm positive Dannen thinks the same. Then it's arguably WBB, MBB and the hardest is football.

Contrast this interview with Fritz who really does have to contest for success in a mostly rigged system. He does ask for fan support regularly as he should but he never calls us out or throws us under the bus. He simply asks for us to stand with the program while he works relentlessly to succeed regardless of the circumstances.

Regardless Jewett is our coach and I'm rooting for him to succeed. I prefer winning to finger pointing and retrospective second guessing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm 
President's Circle

Winning and leaving is probably the ideal scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:14 pm 
President's Circle

He was a terrible fit from day 1. And he had little to no respect from the kids that played for him at that time. Just a terrible hire and has made no inroads in New Orleans, LA, and the surrounding area. Bring Jake back.

And someone remind him about this thing called Katrina.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

well it doesn't help the school didn't let our best recruit in. which is probably part of the reason people freaked out about the football situation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm 
Breaker Level

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

He did say what you say he said but that’s pretty standard. It’s a matter of fact really, even when Tulane didn’t judge by wins and losses, the Toledo’s and Finney’s eventually got fired for losing.

Here’s the part people have a problem with https://twitter.com/quickpitches32/status/1224906116984909824?s=21

Quote:
the baseball fans in this school should hold themselves up high to be honest with you, because Tulane baseball since 2005 kinda ehh when you think about but everybody thinks like they went to Omaha and won it like the last 10 years

Was he wrong? We had like 2-3 good years. Y'all two put on this act like you are willing to give him a chance but have no intention to b/c it's like personal for y'all. That was one sentence & you two mosquitos swarmed in. Your golden child coach can't even win at Texas. He left us with no pitching & went to one of the best baseball schools ever & guess what....when it was time for his recruits to play, they sucked. We set offensive records across the board so PITCHING...what we have lacked under Pierce who could not get more than like TWO friggin pitching recruits....takes time to build back up. I think this year they have more pitching depth & if we stay healthy can win the conference. If not, like he said, he is gone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:03 am 
Emerald Circle

Pierce didn't recruit, but TJ has not been good. I have a feeling this year is going to be painful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:28 am 
President's Circle

BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

Quote:

Was he wrong? We had like 2-3 good years. Y'all two put on this act like you are willing to give him a chance but have no intention to b/c it's like personal for y'all. That was one sentence & you two mosquitos swarmed in. Your golden child coach can't even win at Texas. He left us with no pitching & went to one of the best baseball schools ever & guess what....when it was time for his recruits to play, they sucked. We set offensive records across the board so PITCHING...what we have lacked under Pierce who could not get more than like TWO friggin pitching recruits....takes time to build back up. I think this year they have more pitching depth & if we stay healthy can win the conference. If not, like he said, he is gone.

He was not wrong about us being “kinda ehh” since 2005. We’ve been worse than that since he took over. I had no problem with him saying that, the problem was when he said talking about the fans “but everybody thinks like they went to Omaha and won it like the last 10 years”.

I already gave him a chance, I don’t know if I’d say it’s personal, but I don’t like him.
As for Pierce, I really don’t care what he does at Texas. The fact that you’re still blaming him in 2020 is embarrassing.
Nobody cares about setting offensive records when the team is not good. It’s nice but playing in the Regionals is what matters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm 
Trainer

I spoke to someone a few weeks ago who is involved in the high school/college baseball world and has no allegiance to Tulane. He told me that the JC pitchers that have come in this year have a lot of talent and the team as a whole may be much better than people are expecting. He said 2 of the JC guys could be starting on Friday and Saturday and are legitimate top of the rotation guys. The big key to me is going to be the back end of the bullpen. If they have a few guys step up to fill those roles, we could have a nice season. Pellerin, David Bates, and the 4th starter (4 guys are competing for the 3 spots...whichever one doesn't make it into the weekend rotation) are the guys that will be asked to fill those roles to start the season. Pellerin and Bates are guys that have closer type stuff, but have had strike throwing issues in the past. I am cautiously optimistic going into the season, but I am looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:09 pm 
Coach Level

Thanks for that update .