Evryone has to be out by next Friday.

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
cfb#1
Trainer

Evryone has to be out by next Friday.

Unread post by cfb#1 »

Tulane closing down dorms, so my daughter will finish out the year at home on the computer. Wonder if Ill get a refund from housing, wave bucks, and meal plan.

All those workers are out of a job, the biggest employer in the city is shutting it down.

I’m at a loss for words.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Evryone has to be out by next Friday.

Unread post by tjtlja »

The pace of closures and restrictions for this one day has been astronomical. Here in Houston, the rodeo was canceled. The rodeo is basically 30 consecutive jazz fest. Texans stadium fills up each night to see the rodeo and a top country musician.

At the rate this is moving, the college baseball season will be suspended, and March madness will also be suspended/cancelled. The NBA, MLB, NHL, XFL, PGA, WWE, and any other 3 letter sport will be suspended.

I wonder if the seniors associated with any of the college sports will be given an optional 5th year, thus leading to expanded rosters with next wave of signees coming on board. So many questions, so many unknowns.

I just hope everyone stays healthy. I will be praying for good fortune for everyone. God Bless!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

Currently at WDW with son and daughter for Spring Break; since daughter is at UCF, she has just learned that her classes will be on-line only next week. Two of her roommates live in Tampa, will probably head to be with parents. We read that they are adding hand-washing stations to the parks, increasing the sanitizer stations, which were fairly prominent the past few days.

Just waiting for us to be told that we are quarantined here...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Private Joker
Coach Level

Unread post by Private Joker »

My two girls are coming home (from Tulane and Brown). And one of them told me that people are viewing Seattle, where we leave, as Ground Zero of the plague and a place to be feared. Doesn't feel quite like that here, but everything is definitely shutting down. Fortunately my main sport is golf, and I can keep my "social distancing" on a golf course.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Private Joker wrote:My two girls are coming home (from Tulane and Brown). And one of them told me that people are viewing Seattle, where we leave, as Ground Zero of the plague and a place to be feared. Doesn't feel quite like that here, but everything is definitely shutting down. Fortunately my main sport is golf, and I can keep my "social distancing" on a golf course.
Out in the long grass a lot?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

AO Sig wrote:Currently at WDW with son and daughter for Spring Break; since daughter is at UCF, she has just learned that her classes will be on-line only next week. Two of her roommates live in Tampa, will probably head to be with parents. We read that they are adding hand-washing stations to the parks, increasing the sanitizer stations, which were fairly prominent the past few days.

Just waiting for us to be told that we are quarantined here...
At least you won't be stuck in a third world country like China, Italy or Mexico!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote: At least you won't be stuck in a third world country like China, Italy or Mexico!
I'd much rather be quarantined in Italy or Mexico than in Orlando. :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

So Loyola canceled classes today and tomorrow, and goes online next week, but dorms, rec center, library, etc, will remain open for students who can't (or shouldn't, depending on where they are from) go home. Every university has different, complex thigs to consider, but when possible, I like the Loyola approach.

Anecdotally, a large number of Tulane students are renting vacation rentals in the country side of Mississippi and Alabama for the rest of the semester, because things are worse where they are from than in NOLA.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:
gerryb323 wrote: At least you won't be stuck in a third world country like China, Italy or Mexico!
Italy these days? No thanks
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by BC Wave »

WaveProf wrote:So Loyola canceled classes today and tomorrow, and goes online next week, but dorms, rec center, library, etc, will remain open for students who can't (or shouldn't, depending on where they are from) go home. Every university has different, complex thigs to consider, but when possible, I like the Loyola approach.

Anecdotally, a large number of Tulane students are renting vacation rentals in the country side of Mississippi and Alabama for the rest of the semester, because things are worse where they are from than in NOLA.

Yeah, that’s why they’re renting the beach houses — concern for safety!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
I would rather die in Italy (or at least take my chances) than live in Orlando. Seriously.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
I would rather die in Italy (or at least take my chances) than live in Orlando. Seriously.
Well, depends on the part of Italy. Rome? Meh. Venice/Florence? I'll die happily
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Well, depends on the part of Italy. Rome? Meh. Venice/Florence? I'll die happily
I had a fantastic time in Rome--best street entertainment EVER. Naples, I would agree with you--leave it. Everywhere else--off the charts.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Unread post by Private Joker »

windywave wrote:
Private Joker wrote:My two girls are coming home (from Tulane and Brown). And one of them told me that people are viewing Seattle, where we leave, as Ground Zero of the plague and a place to be feared. Doesn't feel quite like that here, but everything is definitely shutting down. Fortunately my main sport is golf, and I can keep my "social distancing" on a golf course.
Out in the long grass a lot?
Sadly yes.
It was nice to meet you and your Dad at the Ohio State game. See you in Chicago.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

They just closed Disney Land. No word on Disney World yet. AO is probably a little edgy right now.

We were planning a trip to San Diego next week for kids' spring break. Of all things, nothing canceled for coronavirus (yet) ... Instead the beaches are closed due to sewage in the ocean washing up from overflowing sewers in Tijuana. We were debating canceling out of fear that we'd get there and the Zoo and Sea World and everything else would be closed, but having the beaches on a "no contact with the water" policy sealed the deal - plus it's supposed to be chilly and rainy much of the week. Staying home.

Our governor today announced that all schools in the state are to close for three weeks starting Monday. So the stay-at-home spring
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

We fly out Saturday afternoon. There are rumors spreading around the cast members, but nothing is definite about WDW.

As long as I am not forced to quarantine on Its a small world, I should be ok.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

Oh, I have seen the usual herds of nexium-clad people moving around; none of them showed any acknowledgement of the green Tulane shirt I wore today.

Will wear my white Tulane shirt to Epcot tomorrow; will see if I get any evoke any response (might be too many letters for them to spell, plus it is not monosyllabic)...
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Notre Dame and Georgetown telling their students to not come back to campus- online classes only. Not sure how this works for getting personal items back.

Ole Miss gets 1 extra week of spring break, and LSU going to online classes

Almost all campuses require employees to continue showing up.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

I have just read that WDW will be closed as of Sunday. Looks like I have totally lucked out since I fly out Saturday afternoon.
cfb#1
Trainer

Unread post by cfb#1 »

They are charging $7 for a box and $1000 to put stuff in storage.

Freaking price gouging.

BTW a kid jumped from dorm and died last night.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

cfb#1 wrote:They are charging $7 for a box and $1000 to put stuff in storage.

Freaking price gouging.

BTW a kid jumped from dorm and died last night.
Who is "they"? I've read stories that UHaul is giving college students free storage.
cfb#1
Trainer

Unread post by cfb#1 »

Summer time storage.

What I am told....

$7 a box if you aren't using their service. Free box if you use their storage.

$40 per box per month to store. People are figuring 2-3 months of storage 10-20 boxes depending on dorm room.

My daughter has 8 boxes, excluding clothes and we live in NOLA, so not an issue. She has 3 roommates flying back to NYC Sunday and they have 10-15 boxes each.

They are saying kid death was an accident.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

AO Sig wrote:I have just read that WDW will be closed as of Sunday. Looks like I have totally lucked out since I fly out Saturday afternoon.
I mean, totally lucked out other than being in the midst of a literal worldwide germ pool.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

cfb#1 wrote:She has 3 roommates flying back to NYC Sunday and they have 10-15 boxes each.
Times have changed... In my day, all the northeasterns just threw all their stuff away and bought new when they needed it again. 8)

(yeah, I "dumpster dived" in Aron Residences... which wasn't really dumpster diving because the piles of perfectly-good stuff being thrown away so far exceeded the capacity of the dumpster that there were things just sitting on the sidewalk for the taking...)
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

What if you die in the Italian Pavilion at EPCOT