FRITZ EXTENSION

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: FRITZ EXTENSION

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 am
I think it was a big mistake when Tulane fired Ellender. However it was all about his unwillingness to change some assistants and potentially "modify" his style of play. Ellender almost certainly believed Tulane would never fire him.

When faced with the same circumstance, Fritz brought in Hall. So although Fritz is definitely a formula/process guy to enjoy continued success, he made the hard decision on his own to change when he had to.
I was a student when Ellender was coach and I think he was a victim of his success. When I arrived as a freshman in August 1974 the ONLY thing that anyone talked about was the previous season’s epic win over LSU. The 1974 season looked like a repeat of that success at 5-0 until QB Steve Foley was lost to a season ending injury in a regionally televised game against GaTech—back in those days being on regional TV was a huge thing, unlike now. So, the season loses out and the party was over. When we were winning people overlooked Ellender’s stodgy offense because we were winning. As 1975 wore on and we continued the losing, people had a short memory. The chant from the stands: UP THE MIDDLE, UP THE MIDDLE, UP THE MIDDLE, PUNT. Fans forgive anything if it’s winning but once the losses piled up with an eye watering-ly boring brand of football In a brand spanking new Superdome, I don’t recall a lot of people screaming to keep Ellender.

Agree wholeheartedly regarding WF. Adapt or die.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TUPF wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 am
Baywave1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:58 am
I think it was a big mistake when Tulane fired Ellender. However it was all about his unwillingness to change some assistants and potentially "modify" his style of play. Ellender almost certainly believed Tulane would never fire him.

When faced with the same circumstance, Fritz brought in Hall. So although Fritz is definitely a formula/process guy to enjoy continued success, he made the hard decision on his own to change when he had to.
I was a student when Ellender was coach and I think he was a victim of his success. When I arrived as a freshman in August 1974 the ONLY thing that anyone talked about was the previous season’s epic win over LSU. The 1974 season looked like a repeat of that success at 5-0 until QB Steve Foley was lost to a season ending injury in a regionally televised game against GaTech—back in those days being on regional TV was a huge thing, unlike now. So, the season loses out and the party was over. When we were winning people overlooked Ellender’s stodgy offense because we were winning. As 1975 wore on and we continued the losing, people had a short memory. The chant from the stands: UP THE MIDDLE, UP THE MIDDLE, UP THE MIDDLE, PUNT. Fans forgive anything if it’s winning but once the losses piled up with an eye watering-ly boring brand of football In a brand spanking new Superdome, I don’t recall a lot of people screaming to keep Ellender.

Agree wholeheartedly regarding WF. Adapt or die.
Not to mention Ellender's starting QB, Looney, hurt his knee in one of the last practices before the season. Had to play 1975 with his second string QB Buddy Gilbert. The home loss to LSU at 42-6 sealed his fate.
Plan your work, work your plan.

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I'd like to make a few points about this deal. First, nobody knows if this is a good or bad deal unless they see the deal. Nobody on this forum is going to see this contract aside from whatever anonymous athletic admin accounts may be registered here. Very few people will be privy to this information. Without knowing what the buyout looks like on both sides, it's really hard to say that this is good or bad. What we do know is that Fritz was underpaid relative to other coaches in our conference. He deserves a bump to the $2 million range which would still put him below the coaches at Houston, Memphis, UCF, Navy, USF and Cincy and above the coaches at Tulsa, ECU. You'd have to believe that Sonny Dykes at SMU is in the $2 million+ club and Rod Carey at Temple probably is as well. So, a raise was warranted.

Absent cause, which would terminate the contract anyway, we aren't firing Fritz in the next 3 years. He'd either have to have 3 losing seasons to do that or there would have to be a clear loss of control of the program like USF had with Charlie Strong. So what does the contract look like in years 4-7? That is the big question that we won't ever have an answer to.

I think it's more likely that assistants are changed in the next few years than it is that we get rid of Fritz. He's shown a willingness to make difficult staff changes, and I don't think anyone is satisfied with 7-6 every year, especially Fritz. This is a very specific job that we've found very few coaches who are fit to handle over the years. Fritz fits. I can comfortably say that our program is in better shape in every category across the board than it was when he took over, and we've already started to make the gains in recruiting that we'll need to take this to the next level. Our goal should be to be in a position to consistently challenge for an AAC title in the next 3-4 years. I think that would be success. That would take us to where Memphis/Cincy/SMU are right now. That would mean we would have winning records in conference in the next couple of years and then be able to turn out a 6-2 or 7-1 conference record in a really good year. If we are unable to achieve that level of success by 2024, then it would be fair to assess whether a change is necessary to get us over that hump.

Personally, I think Fritz is the guy. We need to make the right hire if/when Will Hall leaves. But if we continue to recruit well and can find a QB to lead us for multiple seasons (Pratt, Ibieta, Keyes) then we're going to have a chance to be one of the top programs in the AAC under Fritz.
This one belongs to the Wave.

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Well said, '23.

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I'm sure our announcer can speak to Va Tech better than me, but by just looking at their records, they were nowhere near Kansas State (or Buddy Teevens) bad before Beamer got there. Bill Dooley was actually 64-38-1 from 1978-1986 (Beamer got there in '87) and they were ranked #20 and 10-2-1 in the year before Beamer arrived.

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

TU23 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm
I'd like to make a few points about this deal. First, nobody knows if this is a good or bad deal unless they see the deal. Nobody on this forum is going to see this contract aside from whatever anonymous athletic admin accounts may be registered here. Very few people will be privy to this information. Without knowing what the buyout looks like on both sides, it's really hard to say that this is good or bad. What we do know is that Fritz was underpaid relative to other coaches in our conference. He deserves a bump to the $2 million range which would still put him below the coaches at Houston, Memphis, UCF, Navy, USF and Cincy and above the coaches at Tulsa, ECU. You'd have to believe that Sonny Dykes at SMU is in the $2 million+ club and Rod Carey at Temple probably is as well. So, a raise was warranted.

Absent cause, which would terminate the contract anyway, we aren't firing Fritz in the next 3 years. He'd either have to have 3 losing seasons to do that or there would have to be a clear loss of control of the program like USF had with Charlie Strong. So what does the contract look like in years 4-7? That is the big question that we won't ever have an answer to.

I think it's more likely that assistants are changed in the next few years than it is that we get rid of Fritz. He's shown a willingness to make difficult staff changes, and I don't think anyone is satisfied with 7-6 every year, especially Fritz. This is a very specific job that we've found very few coaches who are fit to handle over the years. Fritz fits. I can comfortably say that our program is in better shape in every category across the board than it was when he took over, and we've already started to make the gains in recruiting that we'll need to take this to the next level. Our goal should be to be in a position to consistently challenge for an AAC title in the next 3-4 years. I think that would be success. That would take us to where Memphis/Cincy/SMU are right now. That would mean we would have winning records in conference in the next couple of years and then be able to turn out a 6-2 or 7-1 conference record in a really good year. If we are unable to achieve that level of success by 2024, then it would be fair to assess whether a change is necessary to get us over that hump.

Personally, I think Fritz is the guy. We need to make the right hire if/when Will Hall leaves. But if we continue to recruit well and can find a QB to lead us for multiple seasons (Pratt, Ibieta, Keyes) then we're going to have a chance to be one of the top programs in the AAC under Fritz.
Carey is making around $2 million as his base salary per the Philly paper when Temple hired him. The Dallas paper quoted an "unknown" source as saying Dykes makes around $2.3-2.5 million.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... 90111.html

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

FW wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:03 pm
I'm sure our announcer can speak to Va Tech better than me, but by just looking at their records, they were nowhere near Kansas State (or Buddy Teevens) bad before Beamer got there. Bill Dooley was actually 64-38-1 from 1978-1986 (Beamer got there in '87) and they were ranked #20 and 10-2-1 in the year before Beamer arrived.
Snyder was an example I hadn't thought of earlier, but maybe even more apt because Kansas St was hopeless before him. That said he got them to 9 wins in years 5 and six when there were only 11 regular season ganes, backing up my heuristic that you almost always know what your ceiling under a given coaching staff is by that point.