Still one-dimensional.

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Still one-dimensional.

Post by Poseidon »

Still one-dimensional. We may feel better about the passing game and have competent passer in the backfield, but when push comes to shove our passing game is largely incomplete. What we saw from Tulsa was not a phenom at QB come in and throw for 250+ plus yards, but rather a decent QB come into a modern competent passing system. Prat is a competent passer, yet he still hasn't thrown for more than 250 in a game this year. Why is that? Our best passing plays are all either high school simple go routes or gadget plays that only work after they are set up by other plays. I hope Will hall gets an SEC job this year or rethinks his philosophy and get some new concepts. I could be wrong of but I watched a couple of games from lower level teams and they were the same type of passing game. Strange thing is Hall is a former QB he should be able produce a modern passing game.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy

Wavemania
President's Circle
Posts: 2961
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 pm
Location: metairie, La

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by Wavemania »

its called dropped passes. We dont have any decent receivers. Watts dropped some critical passes in his hands that would have kept drives going. When your QB gets the ball to you, you must catch it!!! Sad part is there is so much WR talent in N.O. area and not a sniff.Our recruiting in N.O. area must improve big time.

User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23087
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by waverider »

This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

User avatar
wave-em in
President's Circle
Posts: 3036
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wave-em in »

Losing Dante Wright by refusing to keep him at WR where he continues to tear it up at CSU cost this team dearly. HUGE mistake.

Tulane would have had the inside track to his lil' bro, Devin, who will be highly sought after next year.

User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by Poseidon »

Wavemania wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:47 am
its called dropped passes. We dont have any decent receivers. Watts dropped some critical passes in his hands that would have kept drives going. When your QB gets the ball to you, you must catch it!!! Sad part is there is so much WR talent in N.O. area and not a sniff.Our recruiting in N.O. area must improve big time.
Yes, the receiving talent needs to improve or perhaps the coaching there.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy

User avatar
long green
Cornerstone
Posts: 26409
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by long green »

I didn't see as many bad drops. Deuce Watts had one hand on a ball that was more on Pratt than him. The worst drop I saw was on Phat.

It was a reverse of the ECU game plan, for which Hall was praised. And it worked to the extent that we held the ball and controlled the tempo. The problem with the plan was that the mistakes - and there were several - were magnified. Glover's miss from short, the two motion flags setting up the very long miss, Remetich getting flagged, etc.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11335
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:25 pm
I didn't see as many bad drops. Deuce Watts had one hand on a ball that was more on Pratt than him. The worst drop I saw was on Phat.

It was a reverse of the ECU game plan, for which Hall was praised. And it worked to the extent that we held the ball and controlled the tempo. The problem with the plan was that the mistakes - and there were several - were magnified. Glover's miss from short, the two motion flags setting up the very long miss, Remetich getting flagged, etc.
Jones had his customary drop as I recall.

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20784
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by TUPF »

Dissecting this drop, that miscue, this penalty, that player out of position, etc. is all fine and good. It's what we fans do. Coaches too. We could all script what will be said in the film room for this week's version of coitus interruptus.

long green nailed it in the Tulaniest thread. There is something plaguing this program for a generation or more (cue rjc here with the institutional malfeasance redux but I digress ) which is more about the will to win no matter what, or at least disgust with losing. It's as much attitude as it is blocking and tackling. If you want anecdotal proof look no farther than the team in blue last night. They refused to lose. We were afraid to win. They didn't have any more talent than we have but they sure had more will.

I don't know if we need an exorcism or what. Fritz is running this program more like a manager than a steely-eyed leader. A very good manager of course and maybe he's exactly the right person for where the program is right now. But something is missing. Look no further than our flat or missing quarters, inability to close out a win, his reluctance to cut loose poor performing coordinators until the evidence is so overwhelming that he cannot avoid it. He might be too nice a guy to remake Tulane's culture.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

wavedom
Coach Level
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
We still aren't there!

User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by Poseidon »

You're not wrong about drops and other mistakes. What I am talking about is an overall offensive philosophy/system/strategy that has the ability to eat up yards with the passing game. Under Hall in the last 23 games we have thrown for more than 250 yards a grand total of 1 friggin game. Interestingly contrast that with Ruse's last 23 games we threw for 250 or more 5 times. Will Hall's offenses have had more variety in formations and more gotcha plays, but we are still a one dimensional offense.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy

wavedom
Coach Level
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wavedom »

We aren't but that won't stop ya.
We still aren't there!

User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23087
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
I know they are bad, but we are playing young guys (who may be the better of the group) in Haynesworth-So, Remitich-Fr and playing a Rs Jr who was a walk-on that didn’t play until this year. The ones that have really disappointed are the seniors and grad transfers like Knutson that cost us a potential scoring drive when up 14-0.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

wavedom
Coach Level
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
I know they are bad, but we are playing young guys (who may be the better of the group) in Haynesworth-So, Remitich-Fr and playing a Rs Jr who was a walk-on that didn’t play until this year. The ones that have really disappointed are the seniors and grad transfers like Knutson that cost us a potential scoring drive when up 14-0.
We are starting Two seniors, two juniors and a soph. who started several games last year Shafter has played in the past and more importantly has beat out those young guys. It was Remetich that cost us . Knutson got hurt.
We still aren't there!

tjtlja
President's Circle
Posts: 4461
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
Wavedom, I disagree with you on this one. We played the best defense in the league last night (3-4 guys expected to be drafted). We ended the game with one healthy RB (HUD). We ran for 226 yards and Tulsa was giving up 150 a game. Tulsa gave up 25pts on the road to UCF and 16 to OSU in Stillwater. On top of this, our young QB is banged up. Yet we played well in the 2nd half and that was attributed to our OL. We know it wasn’t the WR because they could not get open 95% of the time. If we can improve our talent at WR, and get rid of our WR coach, we will be ok. Our OL is not an issue IMO.

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11335
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:09 pm
Dissecting this drop, that miscue, this penalty, that player out of position, etc. is all fine and good. It's what we fans do. Coaches too. We could all script what will be said in the film room for this week's version of coitus interruptus.

long green nailed it in the Tulaniest thread. There is something plaguing this program for a generation or more (cue rjc here with the institutional malfeasance redux but I digress ) which is more about the will to win no matter what, or at least disgust with losing. It's as much attitude as it is blocking and tackling. If you want anecdotal proof look no farther than the team in blue last night. They refused to lose. We were afraid to win. They didn't have any more talent than we have but they sure had more will.

I don't know if we need an exorcism or what. Fritz is running this program more like a manager than a steely-eyed leader. A very good manager of course and maybe he's exactly the right person for where the program is right now. But something is missing. Look no further than our flat or missing quarters, inability to close out a win, his reluctance to cut loose poor performing coordinators until the evidence is so overwhelming that he cannot avoid it. He might be too nice a guy to remake Tulane's culture.
These are the kind of silly, sweeping statements that don't hold up to much scrutiny. These are kids playing a game with an oddly shaped ball...sometimes crazy things are going to happen and it's not because of some grand lack of will to win. It wasn't will that bounced the ball off Patrick Johnson's hands. We didn't get outwilled by Navy this year but magically had more will than them in '18. We had the will to win a miracle last year vs Houston and now all of a sudden there's a generational attitude problem?

User avatar
purplehaz3
Crest Level
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by purplehaz3 »

Poseidon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am
Still one-dimensional. We may feel better about the passing game and have competent passer in the backfield, but when push comes to shove our passing game is largely incomplete. What we saw from Tulsa was not a phenom at QB come in and throw for 250+ plus yards, but rather a decent QB come into a modern competent passing system. Prat is a competent passer, yet he still hasn't thrown for more than 250 in a game this year. Why is that? Our best passing plays are all either high school simple go routes or gadget plays that only work after they are set up by other plays. I hope Will hall gets an SEC job this year or rethinks his philosophy and get some new concepts. I could be wrong of but I watched a couple of games from lower level teams and they were the same type of passing game. Strange thing is Hall is a former QB he should be able produce a modern passing game.
Yawn. We have a true freshman QB with a COVID-impacted off season under his belt. You don’t think he’s going to get better and Hall will give him more opportunities to throw it downfield? He’s also going to get stronger physically. The dude is 18, relax. Hall has turned our offense into a top 25/30 offense. Stop blaming Hall. We were trash before he arrived.

User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

ml wave wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:09 pm
TUPF wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:09 pm
Dissecting this drop, that miscue, this penalty, that player out of position, etc. is all fine and good. It's what we fans do. Coaches too. We could all script what will be said in the film room for this week's version of coitus interruptus.

long green nailed it in the Tulaniest thread. There is something plaguing this program for a generation or more (cue rjc here with the institutional malfeasance redux but I digress ) which is more about the will to win no matter what, or at least disgust with losing. It's as much attitude as it is blocking and tackling. If you want anecdotal proof look no farther than the team in blue last night. They refused to lose. We were afraid to win. They didn't have any more talent than we have but they sure had more will.

I don't know if we need an exorcism or what. Fritz is running this program more like a manager than a steely-eyed leader. A very good manager of course and maybe he's exactly the right person for where the program is right now. But something is missing. Look no further than our flat or missing quarters, inability to close out a win, his reluctance to cut loose poor performing coordinators until the evidence is so overwhelming that he cannot avoid it. He might be too nice a guy to remake Tulane's culture.
These are the kind of silly, sweeping statements that don't hold up to much scrutiny. These are kids playing a game with an oddly shaped ball...sometimes crazy things are going to happen and it's not because of some grand lack of will to win. It wasn't will that bounced the ball off Patrick Johnson's hands. We didn't get outwilled by Navy this year but magically had more will than them in '18. We had the will to win a miracle last year vs Houston and now all of a sudden there's a generational attitude problem?
There's a ton of truth around the oblong spheroid being very much subject to luck. That said, it feels like on net we are on the losing end of the bounces far more often than not. We got Houston last year, but what about the three games we pissed away this year? We got Navy in 2018, but what about SMU AND Navy in 2017? There's always going to be luck involved but from my perspective we seem to have more than our fair share go against us which might mean luck isn't the issue at all. Somebody (not you ml) on here said "It's just Tulsa's year." Well whoopee for them, but that's a loser excuse, as if Tulsa isn't doing everything they can to control their own destiny.

When's it going to be "just Tulane's year"?

wavedom
Coach Level
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
Wavedom, I disagree with you on this one. We played the best defense in the league last night (3-4 guys expected to be drafted). We ended the game with one healthy RB (HUD). We ran for 226 yards and Tulsa was giving up 150 a game. Tulsa gave up 25pts on the road to UCF and 16 to OSU in Stillwater. On top of this, our young QB is banged up. Yet we played well in the 2nd half and that was attributed to our OL. We know it wasn’t the WR because they could not get open 95% of the time. If we can improve our talent at WR, and get rid of our WR coach, we will be ok. Our OL is not an issue IMO.
We absolutely disagree. He was under pressure whenever he dropped back. A lot of plays that ended up in the run category started out as a pass play. They have one guy who will get drafted.
We still aren't there!

tjtlja
President's Circle
Posts: 4461
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by tjtlja »

The two CB’s will be drafted, and the LB has a shot to go in the first round. Let’s agree to disagree. You are not correct on last nights game. WR could not get open. The OL cannot block for 10 seconds, and they were men when it came to Huderson running the ball when the game was on the line.

User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
tjtlja wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
Wavedom, I disagree with you on this one. We played the best defense in the league last night (3-4 guys expected to be drafted). We ended the game with one healthy RB (HUD). We ran for 226 yards and Tulsa was giving up 150 a game. Tulsa gave up 25pts on the road to UCF and 16 to OSU in Stillwater. On top of this, our young QB is banged up. Yet we played well in the 2nd half and that was attributed to our OL. We know it wasn’t the WR because they could not get open 95% of the time. If we can improve our talent at WR, and get rid of our WR coach, we will be ok. Our OL is not an issue IMO.
We absolutely disagree. He was under pressure whenever he dropped back. A lot of plays that ended up in the run category started out as a pass play. They have one guy who will get drafted.
Both of yall make decent points.

I ask again, considering Under Hall in the last 23 games we have thrown for more than 250 yards a grand total of 1 friggin game. Under Ruse's last 23 games we threw for 250 or more 5 times. He was let go for being to on dimensional how is Hall much different?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy

wavedom
Coach Level
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm
The two CB’s will be drafted, and the LB has a shot to go in the first round. Let’s agree to disagree. You are not correct on last nights game. WR could not get open. The OL cannot block for 10 seconds, and they were men when it came to Huderson running the ball when the game was on the line.
You're wrong on that so we certainly disagree.
We still aren't there!

wavedom
Coach Level
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
tjtlja wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
Wavedom, I disagree with you on this one. We played the best defense in the league last night (3-4 guys expected to be drafted). We ended the game with one healthy RB (HUD). We ran for 226 yards and Tulsa was giving up 150 a game. Tulsa gave up 25pts on the road to UCF and 16 to OSU in Stillwater. On top of this, our young QB is banged up. Yet we played well in the 2nd half and that was attributed to our OL. We know it wasn’t the WR because they could not get open 95% of the time. If we can improve our talent at WR, and get rid of our WR coach, we will be ok. Our OL is not an issue IMO.
We absolutely disagree. He was under pressure whenever he dropped back. A lot of plays that ended up in the run category started out as a pass play. They have one guy who will get drafted.
Both of yall make decent points.

I ask again, considering Under Hall in the last 23 games we have thrown for more than 250 yards a grand total of 1 friggin game. Under Ruse's last 23 games we threw for 250 or more 5 times. He was let go for being to on dimensional how is Hall much different?
Have you seen how bad our receivers are? We are talking on many occasions where they would have a lot of room to run. We are balanced for the first time in forever.
We still aren't there!

User avatar
Private Joker
Navigator Level
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 pm
Location: Bainbridge Island USA

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by Private Joker »

How many good teams has Tulane put on the gridiron in the last 50 years? Six or seven? Maybe 10? That's a lot of bad history for Willie Fritz is working to change. And history does matter.

I am really disappointed in last night's loss, but I am not disappointed in the slightest with the program and the direction we're going. Before Herr Fritz showed up I'm not sure we were even playing football at the D-1 level. Now we are. We get whipped twice a year and are close or win all other games. I think we are at the point where we can beat, and lose, to anyone outside of the top 15 in the country. We haven't seen an improvement in our record the past three years, but it will come.

User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23087
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by waverider »

Poseidon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
tjtlja wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
Wavedom, I disagree with you on this one. We played the best defense in the league last night (3-4 guys expected to be drafted). We ended the game with one healthy RB (HUD). We ran for 226 yards and Tulsa was giving up 150 a game. Tulsa gave up 25pts on the road to UCF and 16 to OSU in Stillwater. On top of this, our young QB is banged up. Yet we played well in the 2nd half and that was attributed to our OL. We know it wasn’t the WR because they could not get open 95% of the time. If we can improve our talent at WR, and get rid of our WR coach, we will be ok. Our OL is not an issue IMO.
We absolutely disagree. He was under pressure whenever he dropped back. A lot of plays that ended up in the run category started out as a pass play. They have one guy who will get drafted.
Both of yall make decent points.

I ask again, considering Under Hall in the last 23 games we have thrown for more than 250 yards a grand total of 1 friggin game. Under Ruse's last 23 games we threw for 250 or more 5 times. He was let go for being to on dimensional how is Hall much different?
Like I said above, we scored 30+ in seven straight games. That’s the only stat that really matters. We don’t extra credit for throwing X number of yards. As stated above, there were beautifully thrown passes that would have gone for 40+ each had they been caught. Not to mention the 10-20 yard passes that would add up if caught.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

User avatar
Private Joker
Navigator Level
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 pm
Location: Bainbridge Island USA

Re: Still one-dimensional.

Post by Private Joker »

waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:44 pm
Poseidon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
tjtlja wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
waverider wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:16 pm
This is the most balanced offense we’ve had in years. Tulsa’s experienced defense put pressure on our young line and QB. We scored 30+ in 7 straight without Pratt having to throw for 250yds. We aren’t going to abandon the run just because we have decent passing game now. As ‘mania said above, WR is where our issues are.

Will Hall explained that being balanced doesn’t mean running and throwing for 150yds each. It means being able to do what you want by using one to set up the other. We’ve done a much better job of taking what the defense gives us. Last night I thought we threw too much at times.
The O-Line is not young. It's not very good especially when we play teams that actually can play some defense.
Wavedom, I disagree with you on this one. We played the best defense in the league last night (3-4 guys expected to be drafted). We ended the game with one healthy RB (HUD). We ran for 226 yards and Tulsa was giving up 150 a game. Tulsa gave up 25pts on the road to UCF and 16 to OSU in Stillwater. On top of this, our young QB is banged up. Yet we played well in the 2nd half and that was attributed to our OL. We know it wasn’t the WR because they could not get open 95% of the time. If we can improve our talent at WR, and get rid of our WR coach, we will be ok. Our OL is not an issue IMO.
We absolutely disagree. He was under pressure whenever he dropped back. A lot of plays that ended up in the run category started out as a pass play. They have one guy who will get drafted.
Both of yall make decent points.

I ask again, considering Under Hall in the last 23 games we have thrown for more than 250 yards a grand total of 1 friggin game. Under Ruse's last 23 games we threw for 250 or more 5 times. He was let go for being to on dimensional how is Hall much different?
Like I said above, we scored 30+ in seven straight games. That’s the only stat that really matters. We don’t extra credit for throwing X number of yards. As stated above, there were beautifully thrown passes that would have gone for 40+ each had they been caught. Not to mention the 10-20 yard passes that would add up if caught.
+1.
This same notion is being pushed in a golf book I'm reading right now. What matters is how the club face interacts with the golf ball, all else (such as the "proper" way to swing) is secondary.

Post Reply