A.jONES LEAVING

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: A.jONES LEAVING

Post by Rotorooter »

I don't care about any rationales, this one hurts. Versatile player with good character. I hate losing him.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

G-wave wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:35 pm This leaves us with only 2 RB's for the Bowl game.

unless I missed something about Ygenio Booker... three.. and he's Amare's back up

there's always a chance someone on the roster could be "Bradwelled" (a term I just invented)... all depends on if there's enough time between now and the 22nd to get any "Bradwellian" (also my term) candidates reps at the RB position.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:47 pm I don't care about any rationales, this one hurts. Versatile player with good character. I hate losing him.
I agree about not liking his departure, but productivity-wise, based on this season, we aren’t losing anything but (much needed) depth.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Jones produced plenty this year and for three years.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

This was his least productive of the three and I really think it’s because he wasn’t 100% healthy.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I didn;t realize Ygenio got hurt... we will be very thin at RB next week
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

We'll just have to pass the ball a bit more. Is this a bad thing? I would like to see Pratt get more throws and xp. Perhaps he can learn to protect himself a bit more by checking down etc.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

not sure how secret the information is, but word has it there is a player who has started taking reps at RB who isn't an RB on the roster and he could become our next Bradwell
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:32 am not sure how secret the information is, but word has it there is a player who has started taking reps at RB who isn't an RB on the roster and he could become our next Bradwell
Is he a big body bruiser like Bradwell?
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

No he's not and it's simply a desperation move at this point. We need to sign some RB's.
We still aren't there!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

wavedom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:00 am No he's not and it's simply a desperation move at this point. We need to sign some RB's.
He’s big enough and athletic.

Desperation? He wasn’t tried at rb before when it was Tulane’s deepest position. He will contribute next week while Tulane recruits some RBs. I suspect he may stay there next season.

I bet Jackson and Watts get their share of jet sweeps and even a reverse too as well against Nevada.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

There are two guys who leap to mind as stop gaps at RB. One is Christian Daniels, who lined up in the backfield a few times vs Memphis, the other is Phat Watts, who has run a few times on jet sweeps and who played RB in high school. Neither is a solution for next year.

We have to have a second RB signee out of high school in this class. We went into this year with six, look where we're at now. I thought going in to recruiting we needed a depth chart of six for 2021 aside from a recovering Spears.

There are quite a few in-state next year, another reason I think we need a genuine bird dog on the staff recruiting South Louisiana. We'll need two out of high school again next year.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:43 am There are two guys who leap to mind as stop gaps at RB. One is Christian Daniels, who lined up in the backfield a few times vs Memphis, the other is Phat Watts, who has run a few times on jet sweeps and who played RB in high school. Neither is a solution for next year.

We have to have a second RB signee out of high school in this class. We went into this year with six, look where we're at now. I thought going in to recruiting we needed a depth chart of six for 2021 aside from a recovering Spears.

There are quite a few in-state next year, another reason I think we need a genuine bird dog on the staff recruiting South Louisiana. We'll need two out of high school again next year.
100%. It's really hard to have too many rbs in the modern era. Between injuries and transfers there is going to be turnover so a deep backfield has a lot of upside. There's also no guarantee Spears will be totally ready to go by the start of next season so we definitely should try to get another rb in this class.

I think the bowl as a one off game can be figured out with the current roster.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

long green wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:43 am There are two guys who leap to mind as stop gaps at RB. One is Christian Daniels, who lined up in the backfield a few times vs Memphis, the other is Phat Watts, who has run a few times on jet sweeps and who played RB in high school. Neither is a solution for next year.

the player I alluded to is Daniels... 6 2, 220 is pretty good size... what was Bradwell's size when we first moved him to RB? couldn't have been much bigger than that

also in re RBs for next year... don't rule out the "portal" for guys who can contribute right away as opposed to HS signees who may need time to get up to speed
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He and Bradwell do not have similar builds. What you see in a game program often does not correspond to reality. Daniels looks slender next to Darius.

We could get an older transfer, yes, but we need to sign another kid out of high school. We tried to sign one last year and couldn't. We carried two RB commitments for most of this recruiting cycle. We have one guy where the coaches wanted three.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:34 am He and Bradwell do not have similar builds. What you see in a game program often does not correspond to reality. Daniels looks slender next to Darius.

We could get an older transfer, yes, but we need to sign another kid out of high school. We tried to sign one last year and couldn't. We carried two RB commitments for most of this recruiting cycle. We have one guy where the coaches wanted three.
Plenty of guys have size. Bradwell was a really good RB and just having similar size isn't going to make someone the "next" Bradwell.
purplehaz3
Riptide Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

I don't think Daniels has the speed we want for RB. He looks promising at TE. You guys keep neglecting to talk about Iverson Celestine. Local Nola recruit with a very promising recruiting profile. I don't think there's any reason to panic.
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Celestine will be a good one, but we need a minimum 6 RB's on this team. Need to factor in those who are going to be on scout teams.
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:39 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:00 am No he's not and it's simply a desperation move at this point. We need to sign some RB's.
He’s big enough and athletic.

Desperation? He wasn’t tried at rb before when it was Tulane’s deepest position. He will contribute next week while Tulane recruits some RBs. I suspect he may stay there next season.

I bet Jackson and Watts get their share of jet sweeps and even a reverse too as well against Nevada.
I was responding to whether he was built like Bradwell. He's not. It is a desperation move. He's not a great runner. We need to sign RB's.
We still aren't there!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Desperation is starting Hinton at QB against the Saints. Desperation is not moving a scholarship player who has game experience at QB, TE and on special teams to be your third string RB for one game because another player quit the team the day before. It's what you do for Tuesday that matters here. Every poster here agrees that Fritz now needs to sign more RBs even if Huderson returns.

Meanwhile if Daniels does get a few carries Tuesday (an unknown), I bet he contributes. If not, I bet he blocks well for Pratt and may even catch a pass or two.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 pm Desperation is starting Hinton at QB against the Saints. Desperation is not moving a scholarship player who has game experience at QB, TE and on special teams to be your third string RB for one game because another player quit the team the day before. It's what you do for Tuesday that matters here. Every poster here agrees that Fritz now needs to sign more RBs even if Huderson returns.

Meanwhile if Daniels does get a few carries Tuesday (an unknown), I bet he contributes. If not, I bet he blocks well for Pratt and may even catch a pass or two.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Improvise, adapt, overcome!
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 pm Desperation is starting Hinton at QB against the Saints. Desperation is not moving a scholarship player who has game experience at QB, TE and on special teams to be your third string RB for one game because another player quit the team the day before. It's what you do for Tuesday that matters here. Every poster here agrees that Fritz now needs to sign more RBs even if Huderson returns.

That's the definition of desperation. We had no other options so out of desperation we moved him there. He's not the answer going forward. We all hope he aquits himself well on Tuesday.
We still aren't there!
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Watching the virtual practice and Daniels is lining up at RB. Someone else without a number on his shirt has gotten a few reps too. Looks like Hudderson but a little smaller (hard to tell without full pads).

I don’t remember what injury Booker suffered in the Army game. He needed help getting off the field.
Tulane Greenbackers

PJR
Riptide Level

Post by PJR »

Could it be the walk-on Eric Charles? He was listed on the roster for the Memphis game.