The best thing about the bowl game

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Re: The best thing about the bowl game

Post by DCGreenie »

Respectfully, TUPF, stick to submarines......
https://www.gssiweb.org/en-ca/article/s ... density%20(

{r}eductions in partial pressure of oxygen (as seen at high altitudes; hypoxia) can influence the completion of football-specific activities (Garvican et al., 2013; Mohr & Krustrup, 2013), recovery from high-intensity efforts (Mohr et al., 2003; Garvican et al., 2013) as well as the execution of skills (Banderet & Lieberman, 1989; Mohr et al., 2012; Nassis, 2013). Therefore, of interest are the potential interventions to negate any negative influences of environment extremes, which may have a significant impact on the outcome of a match. To this end, it is important for coaches, performance analysts and sport scientists to accurately quantify and understand the differences and intricacies of a player’s activity profile, within environmental extremes and without, to optimise and rationalise interventions and practical recommendations (Di Salvo et al., 2006; Di Salvo et al., 2007).

The Verify team started its search by talking to Dr. Inigo San Millan. He runs the sports performance program at the University of Colorado’s Sports Medicine and Performance Center in Boulder.

The facility brings in athletes from around the world to test how they perform at different altitudes.

The data from all those athletes led Millan to the conclusion that every for 1,000 feet of elevation gain, a person loses 2 percent of their ability to consume oxygen and gets exhausted 4 percent faster than they normally would.

At one mile above sea level, that’s a 10 percent drop in your body’s ability to transport oxygen and 20 percent drop in time to exhaustion.

“That could be substantial, especially when we talk about high exercise intensities,” Millan said.

For example, let’s look at hockey.

One of the best players in the NHL is Washington Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin, who plays his home games at sea level. Ovechkin averages about 20 minutes of ice time per game. That means – if Millan’s numbers are true -- Ovechkin should drop to about 16 minutes of ice time when he plays in Denver.

9NEWS checked Ovechkin’s ice time for his last appearance at the Pepsi Center in November and found he played 16:49 against the Avalanche.

Fatigue is not the only problem, Millan said.

People who live at sea level don’t sleep as well when the visit they Mile High City. They also dehydrate more easily.

“Another thing we see, the lactate production from the muscles, at altitude at high intensities, it is much higher,” Millian said.

That causes more than cramps. Lactate gets in the way of proper muscle function and slows people down.

Lastly, people burn fats and carbohydrates differently at higher elevations.

“If you don’t have a good nutrition plan coming here, both for hydration as well as carbohydrates mainly, your glycogen storage might be lowered as that’s going to affect you out in the field,” Millan said.

All of those statistics makes it sound like Colorado teams enjoy a significant home field advantage, so we asked Millan straight out if that’s the case.

“It doesn’t matter the sport. When you come to altitude and you want to compete, you’re going to suffer, you’re going to pay for it,” Millian said. “And if someone is waiting for you here, right, with the knife well sharpened, they should take advantage of you.”

So, how can altitude be a part of a team’s winning strategy?

“You just crank it up, the tempo, especially in the third and fourth quarter, because that’s when the other team should go down,” Millan said.

He also suspects mile high coaches would benefit from changing their practice routines.

“One of the things we are trying figure out is those, especially the lineman, they are not very fit to start with. The training for them even at this altitude that they are adapted might not as tolerable as for other lineman at sea level,” Millan said. “And they might travel through the week more fatigued or accumulate more fatigue towards the weekend compared to other lineman coming from sea level.”

Visiting teams can also take steps to mitigate the effects of altitude.

Acclimating to the mile-high air takes at least nine days – an amount of time that’s not practical for professional sports teams to spend in Denver ahead of a game, Millan said.

What they should do instead is arrive as close to game time as possible. That way they avoid some of the negative effects like poor sleep and dehydration.

Finally, it’s important for away teams to know about any medical conditions that might prevent players from competing at high altitude.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark fell gravely ill after playing the Broncos in 2007.

Clark has a genetic abnormality called Sickle cell that affects red blood cells. At high altitudes Sickle cell can cause serious problems with spleen function. Clark ultimately had his spleen and gall bladder removed after the 2007 game.

BOTTOM LINE:

Altitude affects an athlete’s performance. Teams who practice at sea level tire 20 percent faster and transport 10 percent less oxygen in their bodies when they compete in Denver.

But a team’s overall ability matters too. Altitude gives mile-high teams an edge, but it can’t win games.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 am Come on, that is ridiculous. Give the guy a break. He is a football coach first and foremost.
But his hat does matter?

Overly sensitive much?
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:31 am
tjtlja wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 am Come on, that is ridiculous. Give the guy a break. He is a football coach first and foremost.
But his hat does matter?

Overly sensitive much?
No, just tired of you putting down so many people.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 am

No, just tired of you putting down so many people.
Well I'm tired of you being so negative anytime anything goes slightly wrong, but I like you in other ways so I try to keep my mouth shut. But now I'll add picks silly fights to the list.
Last edited by WaveProf on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"
Plan your work, work your plan.
tkruebbe
Crest Level

Post by tkruebbe »

Hey guys 3 Bowl games in a row something to be happy about. Merry Christmas to everyone in GREEN WAVE LAND. :-D :-D :-D
MAY THE WAVE LIVE FOREVER
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

tkruebbe wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:57 am Hey guys 3 Bowl games in a row something to be happy about. Merry Christmas to everyone in GREEN WAVE LAND. :-D :-D :-D
THIS
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

DCGreenie, thanks for the education. Dannen should place an altitude participation limit on our sea level bound athletes.

As for submarines those of us who wear gold or silver dolphins would say it's not for everyone. For over 60 years young men and women not much older than Tulane students have continuously conducted strategic nuclear deterrence patrols, 24/7/365. Fast attack nuclear submarines have continuously conducted covert operations in places we never talk about. Both provide the guardianship for you to live a normal life while they miss holidays, weekends, births, and deaths, without communication and without question.

Have a Merry Wavemas!
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

DCGreenie wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:26 am Visiting teams can also take steps to mitigate the effects of altitude.

Acclimating to the mile-high air takes at least nine days – an amount of time that’s not practical for professional sports teams to spend in Denver ahead of a game, Millan said.

What they should do instead is arrive as close to game time as possible. That way they avoid some of the negative effects like poor sleep and dehydration.
So, arrive the day before the game (check) or 10 days before, as previously mentioned in this thread.
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

I wouldn't have survived a month in a nuke submarine......
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

DCGreenie wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:08 pm I wouldn't have survived a month in a nuke submarine......
As someone who solely slept on a sub at night (docked on the surface) for a weekend......leaving the sub to explore NYC during the day......I'm pretty confident I wouldn't survive 48 consecutive hours....
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

DCGreenie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm BTW, Tulane players practice and live at sea level. U. Nevada campus is close to 5,000 ft. elevation. That's where the players go to school and practice. The Pack players have beaucoup more red blood cells for oxygenation than the Wave players. The Pack playing at about 2450 ft. above sea level in Boise was almost an inherently unfair advantage. Tulane players need more red corpuscles.
Maybe for an endurance sport, long-distance running. But not so much in football, where one can sit on bench and breath in O2 from a canister.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Hey ml, the vibrations threads are not here to take credit for who starts the threads. I don't take credit for any bowl win. Sure I'm truly happy when Tulane wins, as I am always. But if you would start the thread for the first game next year and if TU would happen to win that game, you would be taking all the credit for that win. But if Tulane would lose that game it would be the last time you would ever have the "you know whats" to take that chance. And have you ever congradulated me when Tulane won the last two bowl years. That tells me a lot about you --- you are a lousy loser.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:47 pm Hey ml, the vibrations threads are not here to take credit for who starts the threads. I don't take credit for any bowl win. Sure I'm truly happy when Tulane wins, as I am always. But if you would start the thread for the first game next year and if TU would happen to win that game, you would be taking all the credit for that win. But if Tulane would lose that game it would be the last time you would ever have the "you know whats" to take that chance. And have you ever congradulated me when Tulane won the last two bowl years. That tells me a lot about you --- you are a lousy loser.

Fan since '54
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think if you look back you'll find that I started the thread for the bowl game last year. And it's been well documented the success we had in '18 was due to the board overwhelmingly voting to stop those threads.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I went on the 20000 leagues under the sea ride at Disney. It was rough, but I made it.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

FW wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:45 pm I went on the 20000 leagues under the sea ride at Disney. It was rough, but I made it.
For all the youngsters on the board, it’s the little mermaid ride.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

FW wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:45 pm I went on the 20000 leagues under the sea ride at Disney. It was rough, but I made it.
I still want to ride in that James Bond Lotus that launched off a pier in Sardinia and turned into a mini sub. I heard Elon Musk bought it.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

The submarine ride was still at Disneyland when we went there a couple of years ago; the area that was the submarine ride at Magic Kingdome at WDW is several attractions, including The Seven Dwarves' mine train and Ariels' adventure. part of it also might be part of "Be Our Guest,' a Beauty and the Beast themed restaurant.

The only underwater adventure available at WDW right now is the Finding Nemo attraction at Epcot. My daughter loves the manatees they have there . One or two of the "Star Tours" trips end up underwater with Jar Jar Binks.

I would like to own the Lotus as well.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Loved that ride
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

There is a real submarine ride in Grand Cayman that I have done twice. It is not connected to a track or cable and goes under its own power with its own steering. It goes as deep as 100 ft. Certainly not the same at TUPF experience, but probably as good as one can get without joining the Navy. It has portholes all along each side for viewing, carries about 40-50 people and has great views of wrecks, fish, and reefs. Once, we ran upon two scuba divers on a wreck, and they were shocked to see us.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Personally, I liked the Tower of Terror ride at Universal. Make sure you eat a spaghetti dinner before riding--it'll settle your stomach.
Plan your work, work your plan.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

MattK wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:10 pm
For all the youngsters on the board, it’s the little mermaid ride.
Yes, I know. I had a conference at UCF 3-4 years ago and we took the kids and went on that God awful pathetic excuse for a ride.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 am There is a real submarine ride in Grand Cayman that I have done twice. It is not connected to a track or cable and goes under its own power with its own steering. It goes as deep as 100 ft. Certainly not the same at TUPF experience, but probably as good as one can get without joining the Navy. It has portholes all along each side for viewing, carries about 40-50 people and has great views of wrecks, fish, and reefs. Once, we ran upon two scuba divers on a wreck, and they were shocked to see us.
You had windows? 😱 🤣

Who says we go deeper than 100 ft.? 🤔
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Yes, it had windows! You forget, I was a Naval Intelligence Officer. I know a lot about subs and their missions. Ever read "Blind Men's Bluff"?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:51 pm Yes, it had windows! You forget, I was a Naval Intelligence Officer. I know a lot about subs and their missions. Ever read "Blind Men's Bluff"?
Uh, it was co-written by Chris Drew, a Tulanian. He interviewed me but got nothing.

Standard US submariner reply to any inquiry: "I don't know, I wasn't there and have no such knowledge of any operations."
Last edited by TUPF on Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.