The best thing about the bowl game

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Re: The best thing about the bowl game

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Evan, you don't understand the object of the threads. Period, full stop. It is to support Tulane whenever they play in any game, be it a regular season game or a post season game. And you can't change that because you did not start the original thread. Your only object is to end the threads. And you can't. Sure it is great when the Wave wins whenever they go on the field, but no one, that's right no one, has the power to determine the outcome of a game simply by posting on a message board. How is it that you don't understand that? Ity's pretty simple really.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Seriously this has more than run its course. It's really shameful that some get pleasure out of tormenting a long time diehard.
We still aren't there!
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Thanks for your support wavedom. I was the 4th individual to sign on to this forum. And I have been a more than loyal fan since I went to my first game in 1954. If that doesn't define loyalty I don't know what does. So as I have said thousands of times. ROLL WAVE!!!
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:03 pm Seriously this has more than run its course. It's really shameful that some get pleasure out of tormenting a long time diehard.
On that we are in violent agreement.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

TUPF wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:25 pm
Cheerleader wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:51 pm Yes, it had windows! You forget, I was a Naval Intelligence Officer. I know a lot about subs and their missions. Ever read "Blind Men's Bluff"?
Uh, it was co-written by Chris Drew, a Tulanian. He interviewed me but got nothing.

Standard US submariner reply to any inquiry: "I don't know, I wasn't there and have no such knowledge of any operations."
was at a family wedding about a decade ago talking to a cousin who mentioned he had been on subs in the early 1960's. I asked him if he had read Blind Man's Bluff. He smiled whimsically and said he was familiar with the book but sworn to secrecy then changed the subject. would have loved to have pressed him for stories but understood his position.

btw, the U-Boat exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is pretty good if you are ever in the area.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Even I get the heebee jeebees at the inside of diesel boats. If you have run out of things to stream, watch Das Boot in the original German with English subtitles.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 am Even I get the heebee jeebees at the inside of diesel boats. If you have run out of things to stream, watch Das Boot in the original German with English subtitles.
This is what I like best about the forum. You can look at the title and after two pages start reading again, because the subject matter has almost always changed. In this one, from being about the bowl game to what it is like on submarines. Changing again here, TUPF, I spent the better part of two years on an aircraft carrier in combat, so I can tell stories that are not classified.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:44 pm
TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 am Even I get the heebee jeebees at the inside of diesel boats. If you have run out of things to stream, watch Das Boot in the original German with English subtitles.
This is what I like best about the forum. You can look at the title and after two pages start reading again, because the subject matter has almost always changed. In this one, from being about the bowl game to what it is like on submarines. Changing again here, TUPF, I spent the better part of two years on an aircraft carrier in combat, so I can tell stories that are not classified.
Aircraft carrier story. My SSN is participating as part of the Orange Force aggressors against a Blue carrier battle group in a multi-day exercise called Ocean Safari in the North Atlantic. 24/7 Blue carrier ops launching ASW aircraft against Orange and lots of Blue surface ships banging away on active sonar, helos with dipping sonar and dropping sonabuoys. When an aggressor sub makes a successful torpedo attack undetected we launch a water slug from our torpedo tubes (so the ASW assets can finally hear us) and we launch a flare out of our 4" signal ejector. We also call out OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR on the underwater voice transducer.

We got so close in to the Blue carrier that our flare almost landed on the flight deck. I have a nice B&W close-in periscope photo of said carrier on my I Love Me Wall. Apparently the Flight Boss got p!ssed and we had a come to Jesus meeting with the CBG flag officer when we pulled into the UK after the exercise. After he mildly chewed out my CO and me as OPS officer he turned it into an attaboy and then laid into the ASW gang on the carrier for letting it happen. Good times. :lol:
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Just saw a headline today that the British are apparently ready to launch a massive carrier fleet?
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:21 pm
Aircraft carrier story. My SSN is participating as part of the Orange Force aggressors against a Blue carrier battle group in a multi-day exercise called Ocean Safari in the North Atlantic. 24/7 Blue carrier ops launching ASW aircraft against Orange and lots of Blue surface ships banging away on active sonar, helos with dipping sonar and dropping sonabuoys. When an aggressor sub makes a successful torpedo attack undetected we launch a water slug from our torpedo tubes (so the ASW assets can finally hear us) and we launch a flare out of our 4" signal ejector. We also call out OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR on the underwater voice transducer.

We got so close in to the Blue carrier that our flare almost landed on the flight deck. I have a nice B&W close-in periscope photo of said carrier on my I Love Me Wall. Apparently the Flight Boss got p!ssed and we had a come to Jesus meeting with the CBG flag officer when we pulled into the UK after the exercise. After he mildly chewed out my CO and me as OPS officer he turned it into an attaboy and then laid into the ASW gang on the carrier for letting it happen. Good times. :lol:
During combat in VN, a US sub in the Gulf of Tonkin (a very shallow sea) had a very sick sailor on board, so they arranged to have our helo come over and pick him up. Of course they had to surface, and in my briefing to all combat pilots that day, I told them what was happening and for God's sake, don't broadcast it over the radio if they saw a sub surface. Of course, one of our junior pilots saw it that day and in plain language broadcast, "Hey, I see a submarine down there!" I had to prove to our skipper that I had briefed it to everyone. The sub boys were not happy.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:21 pm

Another quick story about getting close to a carrier. During our Pacific Ocean crossings, the Russians regularly flew big bombers (Bears) out to test our radar and interception abilities. Most of the time we found them early, launched fighter to accompany them, and everyone was happy. One day, they sent several out, one at very low altitude. The captain of the ship, on the bridge, was the first person to spot the Bear coming out of a low cloud right in front of the ship. He few over the center of the ship at about 100 ft. The captain was pissed!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm Evan, you don't understand the object of the threads. Period, full stop. It is to support Tulane whenever they play in any game, be it a regular season game or a post season game. And you can't change that because you did not start the original thread. Your only object is to end the threads. And you can't. Sure it is great when the Wave wins whenever they go on the field, but no one, that's right no one, has the power to determine the outcome of a game simply by posting on a message board. How is it that you don't understand that? Ity's pretty simple really.

Fan since '54
I'm sorry, have we met? Do we dox people on this site now? Does your relentless bullying know no end?

That may be your object on these threads, but it's clearly not working (see mountains of evidence previously submitted). I don't know why you say my object is to end the threads. I am fine with the threads continuing (I've even started many of them myself...with a near impeccable W/L record, I might add). I just prefer that someone other than you starts them so we have a chance at winning. It's not my fault we lose almost every time you start the threads...why is who starts the threads that big of a deal to you? If they're there, you can still post your pictures and whatnot...what's the difference? That said, I'm willing to make a once and for all good faith offer...you start the thread for our next football game. If we win, you can carry on with your threads and I won't say another negative word about juju/vibrations. If we lose, you don't start the threads any more (as yet another gesture of good faith, I'd be willing to start them if it makes you feel better).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:10 pm
Fan Since '54 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm Evan, you don't understand the object of the threads. Period, full stop. It is to support Tulane whenever they play in any game, be it a regular season game or a post season game. And you can't change that because you did not start the original thread. Your only object is to end the threads. And you can't. Sure it is great when the Wave wins whenever they go on the field, but no one, that's right no one, has the power to determine the outcome of a game simply by posting on a message board. How is it that you don't understand that? Ity's pretty simple really.

Fan since '54
I'm sorry, have we met? Do we dox people on this site now? Does your relentless bullying know no end?

That may be your object on these threads, but it's clearly not working (see mountains of evidence previously submitted). I don't know why you say my object is to end the threads. I am fine with the threads continuing (I've even started many of them myself...with a near impeccable W/L record, I might add). I just prefer that someone other than you starts them so we have a chance at winning. It's not my fault we lose almost every time you start the threads...why is who starts the threads that big of a deal to you? If they're there, you can still post your pictures and whatnot...what's the difference? That said, I'm willing to make a once and for all good faith offer...you start the thread for our next football game. If we win, you can carry on with your threads and I won't say another negative word about juju/vibrations. If we lose, you don't start the threads any more (as yet another gesture of good faith, I'd be willing to start them if it makes you feel better).
Lol. Win win!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader, ah...OPSEC about submarines transiting on the surface, and Bears in the air. Just like old times. We could go back and forth forever but I fear the rest of the board would be too bored. Best concentrate on juju thread authorship.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:26 pm Cheerleader, ah...OPSEC about submarines transiting on the surface, and Bears in the air. Just like old times. We could go back and forth forever but I fear the rest of the board would be too bored. Best concentrate on juju thread authorship.
Thank you!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

The sub talk was at least enlightening
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Fan since '54

The cowardice continues.
We still aren't there!
GreenHeart
Crest Level

Post by GreenHeart »

Fan since '54

The scientific method. Without the science part.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I see responses to this thread so I am inclined to check to see if by some miracle someone has found the hat requested in the OP, but alas, all I see is more talk about about submarines* and juju.

*I would be interested in discussions about the latest technology used in narco-subs and “go-fast” boats 8)
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

The threadjack is, as often happens, far more interesting than the original topic, which has been bludgeoned to death and is just sad for all involved.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

waverider wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 pm....all I see is more talk about about submarines* and juju.
Submarines and Juju would be a good name for a band.
Be prepared to lose for what you might get
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OGSB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 pm
waverider wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 pm....all I see is more talk about about submarines* and juju.
Submarines and Juju would be a good name for a band.
'Submarines and Juju--only one comes up for air'
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am The threadjack is, as often happens, far more interesting than the original topic, which has been bludgeoned to death and is just sad for all involved.
I didn’t think the quest for an interesting looking hat had carried on too long. The interesting thread jack was a thread jack of a thread jack that’s been beaten to death by now.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Carolina Greenie
Riptide Level

Post by Carolina Greenie »

speaking of threadjacks- has anyone eaten at Gianna's?
The Wall Street Journal has easy recipes on Sunday's (Slow food fast) and in December they featured Rebecca Wilcomb- the executive chef there.
I've made them all- esp a cauliflower and shrimp dish that was the bomb.....
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Carolina Greenie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:24 pm speaking of threadjacks- has anyone eaten at Gianna's?
The Wall Street Journal has easy recipes on Sunday's (Slow food fast) and in December they featured Rebecca Wilcomb- the executive chef there.
I've made them all- esp a cauliflower and shrimp dish that was the bomb.....
It hasn't been open that long, but I ate lunch there once in the old days (pre-shutdown)...thought it was good but a waste of their great wood burning oven not to have pizzas on the menu. Meatballs were really good.