COVID vaccine update

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: COVID vaccine update

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm I, for one, am of the opinion that Down Periscope, starring Kelsey Grammer, is a much better submarine movie than most give it credit for.

Quick, Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide?
Das Boot?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Yellow Submarine. Best album about submarines.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm I, for one, am of the opinion that Down Periscope, starring Kelsey Grammer, is a much better submarine movie than most give it credit for.

Das Boot?
Danke
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

K-19: Widowmaker or U-571?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Far be it from me to complain about a threadjack, but the purpose of this thread was to talk about Covid 19. I just wanted to report that today that my wife and I got the Moderna vaccine shot in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. It was well organized, where you had to register over the internet, get a reservation, then show up with identification. They had people on the line of cars to check ID, to hand you materials about the vaccine, to have you fill out a form about your health, to check the form, and to direct traffic. When you arrived at the vaccination place, they had nurses on each side of the car to give you the injection, and to direct you to a waiting place, where there was a person who clocked the time you got there and then gave you a vaccination card receipt after your 15 minute wait. The whole drill took about 45 minutes. This all was made possible by our Governor, who decreed two weeks ago that after health workers were treated, then all comers over 65 were eligible. I saw cars with Massachusetts and Ohio license plates there. Yesterday, he showed up at a local Publix grocery store and announced that each Publix was being furnished with vaccine and one could go there and get a reservation. I saw that table set up and a worker manning it this morning. My daughter in VA says they have plenty of vaccine there, but the politicians are still arguing about who gets it first, second and third and how to distribute it. Let's go governors, get your stuff together!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Das Boot. The umpteen hour German version.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:45 pm Far be it from me to complain about a threadjack, but the purpose of this thread was to talk about Covid 19. I just wanted to report that today that my wife and I got the Moderna vaccine shot in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. It was well organized, where you had to register over the internet, get a reservation, then show up with identification. They had people on the line of cars to check ID, to hand you materials about the vaccine, to have you fill out a form about your health, to check the form, and to direct traffic. When you arrived at the vaccination place, they had nurses on each side of the car to give you the injection, and to direct you to a waiting place, where there was a person who clocked the time you got there and then gave you a vaccination card receipt after your 15 minute wait. The whole drill took about 45 minutes. This all was made possible by our Governor, who decreed two weeks ago that after health workers were treated, then all comers over 65 were eligible. I saw cars with Massachusetts and Ohio license plates there. Yesterday, he showed up at a local Publix grocery store and announced that each Publix was being furnished with vaccine and one could go there and get a reservation. I saw that table set up and a worker manning it this morning. My daughter in VA says they have plenty of vaccine there, but the politicians are still arguing about who gets it first, second and third and how to distribute it. Let's go governors, get your stuff together!
My 89 YO mother-in-law and her 85 YO husband has had the opposite experience living in Citrus Springs, FL, about 300 miles from you. Two mornings now of lining up in a first come, first serve, no registration setup, but SOL by 7am when the quota was spoken for. So it appears it's not statewide organization but rather a county or local call on vaccination.

As for calling out out of state license plates, I am sure you know Florida is the king of snowbirds so no surprise there. And if the snowbirds are living among full timers it would be prudent for them to be vaccinated too, right? The virus has a passport.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I would like to point out that the successful distribution of vaccines the last three days was managed here by a private company which has the skill and software of a concert ticketing company. It went off without a hitch. Next door, the county tried to do it themselves and it was a disaster like what happened to your mother in law. Now, another private company, Publix grocery stores, are also being brought in and it is going well. Make a reservation and show up with id. Not hard.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Cheerleader wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm I would like to point out that the successful distribution of vaccines the last three days was managed here by a private company which has the skill and software of a concert ticketing company. It went off without a hitch. Next door, the county tried to do it themselves and it was a disaster like what happened to your mother in law. Now, another private company, Publix grocery stores, are also being brought in and it is going well. Make a reservation and show up with id. Not hard.
So, absolutely nothing to do with the governor then?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am
Cheerleader wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm I would like to point out that the successful distribution of vaccines the last three days was managed here by a private company which has the skill and software of a concert ticketing company. It went off without a hitch. Next door, the county tried to do it themselves and it was a disaster like what happened to your mother in law. Now, another private company, Publix grocery stores, are also being brought in and it is going well. Make a reservation and show up with id. Not hard.
I don't know about FL but here it is devolved to the county health authorities (and City of Chicago because they get a separate allocation). Some are competent others not so much
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 am
ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am
I don't know about FL but here it is devolved to the county health authorities (and City of Chicago because they get a separate allocation). Some are competent others not so much
As a generalization, the federal government punted any sort of plan/responsibility to the states...the states largely don't have the capacity/resources to handle a job of this scale, no one really has an idea of who/which/how many people really want to take the vaccine...so you wind up with about what you'd expect--an overall mess though some places are handling better than others.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:16 pmAs a generalization, the federal government punted any sort of plan/responsibility to the states...the states largely don't have the capacity/resources to handle a job of this scale, no one really has an idea of who/which/how many people really want to take the vaccine...so you wind up with about what you'd expect--an overall mess though some places are handling better than others.
This.

And it was predicted back in the late Summer when the first vaccines went to their final stages of trial, but it's not like anyone was gonna do anything to try to remedy it ahead of time. Government is government and it's only a matter of varying levels of "mess". Handing it to private entities probably is a better idea (though I'm sure there are some nice under the table kickbacks going on in various places, because, again, government).
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Well, Governor DeSantis gave the order about 2 weeks ago to his health dept. to offer vaccines to anyone over 65 years old after they had given it to all the health care and nursing homes. He didn't discriminate on race, first responders, teachers, grocery workers, etc, just if you were over 65 (where 80% of the fatal cases come from). Each county was allotted vaccines based on population and they had to figure out how to handle it best. Some did it great, others terrible. The best ones used private companies to help out. He then decided that Publix grocery stores would be a good place to distribute from so he gave an allotment to each of them. I'll bet Florida has given out more vaccines than any place in the nation per capita. I'll also bet that the Feds see this and have given him more vaccines to keep it going. He's done a great job and gets very little criticism here. Of course the national news media doesn't cover it.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

In most places it would be a further disaster to hand the distribution to individuals by the federal government. Just see the difference between the Post Office and UPS or Fedex for one example. I had much rather trust local officials to do it than some federal bureaucrat who knows nothing about the local situation.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Here is the latest information about the Publix grocery store distribution.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/corona ... 80715.html
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Cheerleader wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:13 pm Well, Governor DeSantis gave the order about 2 weeks ago to his health dept. to offer vaccines to anyone over 65 years old after they had given it to all the health care and nursing homes. He didn't discriminate on race, first responders, teachers, grocery workers, etc, just if you were over 65 (where 80% of the fatal cases come from). Each county was allotted vaccines based on population and they had to figure out how to handle it best. Some did it great, others terrible. The best ones used private companies to help out. He then decided that Publix grocery stores would be a good place to distribute from so he gave an allotment to each of them. I'll bet Florida has given out more vaccines than any place in the nation per capita. I'll also bet that the Feds see this and have given him more vaccines to keep it going. He's done a great job and gets very little criticism here. Of course the national news media doesn't cover it.
In a shocking development, you lost your bet. Smaller states like ND, SD, WV, AK lead the nation in vaccines per capita. Florida is also behind a number of other states, including NY (bet you didn't see that one coming!), ME, NH, CT, RI, TN, IN, most of the mountain time zone, etc...basically middle of the pack. Now FL has done a pretty good job (relatively) in distributing the doses they've received, ranking 10th (45.7%).

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covi ... tribution/
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Well, I'm glad to hear that other states are doing well at distribution. People want the vaccine.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Cheerleader wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm Well, I'm glad to hear that other states are doing well at distribution. People want the vaccine.
You'd be surprised, sigh. :?
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Cheerleader wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm Well, I'm glad to hear that other states are doing well at distribution. People want the vaccine.
Unfortunately, not nearly everyone.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

I suspect in Florida the "retirees and snowbirds" portion of the population eagerly wants their shot and the "Florida man/Tiger King look-alike" portion would rather stick a needle in their own eye than do what the government tells them to.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I am just saddened how several of you just try to run Florida down and make fun of the people who live here. This is a great state, with a pro-business attitude, low taxes, great weather and relatively honest politicians. We are all concerned about the virus and trying to make the best of it with hard work and willing attitudes. Several people on this forum just continue to denigrate any who has a different narrative from yours. Please lighten up and give other people credit. Your negative attitudes are not helping. Talk of successes not failures or disappointments. Look at the things that are right, not dwell on the wrongs. It is getting really hard to read all of this stuff anymore.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:48 pm

Das Boot. The umpteen hour German version.
I took a date to the original Das Boot in NOLA; I felt like I had been punched in my stomach by the ending. I grew up visiting the U-505 (I think) at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, was amazed at how small the submarine was; made the movie that much more impressive.

Threadjack- I get my second dose tomorrow afternoon; I will let y'all know how I am doing tomorrow night or Saturday morning. I will comment that it has been reported that Johnson and Johnson has been releasing impressive data for a one-dose vaccine; hope I can see some of the data in the next few days. if it that good, I would expect them to present it to FDA in the next few weeks.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

As I write this I am 7 hours post Pfizer vaccine #2. So far there has been a little aching in the right arm, which is unusual since I got the first dose in the right arm, and the second dose in the left arm.

A few of interesting items in the medical news today. First, Pfizer claims 50% immunity with just one dose- this is about the same level of effectiveness as the flu shot ends up being. They have not told us if those who did not reach immunity had a milder case of the disease; maybe this data will be in future releases.

The second is another possible treatment for COVID. Ivermectin, a drug used for parasites (worms and other gross stuff in excrements), might actually reduce mortality and disease severity. it is not a very expensive drug, might be worth a try.

Third- I saw that there is a patient who had Hodgkins lymphoma developed COVID, and after he recovered apparently was cured of his lymphoma. I am not advocating COVID infection as a treatment for a potentially fatal malignancy; perhaps the immune response that the virus triggers will also knock out the tumor cells.

I took a couple of tylenol an hour before the vaccination, and just took a couple of aleve an hour or so ago; can't say whether this helped or not, but if I don't feel anything else, I am happy.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

AO Sig wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:46 pm As I write this I am 7 hours post Pfizer vaccine #2. So far there has been a little aching in the right arm, which is unusual since I got the first dose in the right arm, and the second dose in the left arm.

A few of interesting items in the medical news today. First, Pfizer claims 50% immunity with just one dose- this is about the same level of effectiveness as the flu shot ends up being. They have not told us if those who did not reach immunity had a milder case of the disease; maybe this data will be in future releases.

The second is another possible treatment for COVID. Ivermectin, a drug used for parasites (worms and other gross stuff in excrements), might actually reduce mortality and disease severity. it is not a very expensive drug, might be worth a try.

Third- I saw that there is a patient who had Hodgkins lymphoma developed COVID, and after he recovered apparently was cured of his lymphoma. I am not advocating COVID infection as a treatment for a potentially fatal malignancy; perhaps the immune response that the virus triggers will also knock out the tumor cells.

I took a couple of tylenol an hour before the vaccination, and just took a couple of aleve an hour or so ago; can't say whether this helped or not, but if I don't feel anything else, I am happy.
I read you're supposed to avoid acetaminophen and ibuprofen both before and after injection... bot NSAIDs interfere with the production of the anitbodies the mRNA is programming you to produce
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I heard that, but it goes against what I learned in terms of Immunology and physiology. NSAID's have an effect on inflammation through inhibition of cyclooxygenase, enzymes that produce prostaglandins and thromboxanes, which trigger inflammation in tissues. Antibodies are produced by activated B-cells; corticosteroids would be more likely to adversely affect the immunoglobulin production.

Add to that, the antibodies sometimes take up to 2 weeks to develop; the effects of the aleve are 12 hours or so. Will see if there could be an effect on mrna activity; perhaps this has an effect.