Possible transfer WR

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
long green
Cornerstone

Possible transfer WR

Post by long green »

Cyron Sutton, a 2020 senior at McNeese and a New Orleans native, just tweeted that he's committed to Tulane. Let's see if that has any legs.

He was a preseason All-Southland conference pick after catching 67 passes for 950 yards in 2019. Over 100 catches for his McNeese career. Also a good kick returner.

https://mcneesesports.com/sports/footba ... utton/6165
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Re: Possible transfer WR

Post by PeteRasche »

Twitter appears to have confirmed it.

Any good receivers paying attention should want to come catch passes from Mr. Freshman All-American. Hope this is the start of a trend.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

We have two good pieces to start with in Deuce and Jha'quan. Add a third reliable man and develop your younger guys. We got way too little out of a very flashy group of grad transfers last year. This year, fortunately, we may be able to get more than that from our own roster and it won't cost us a scholarship.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Bham Wave
Coach Level

Post by Bham Wave »

Deuce has got to improve his consistency. He had so many drops this year. The only reason he kept playing was we didn’t have anything better. He did make some great plays thru the year but he has to make the routine plays more routine next year.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Bham Wave wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:10 am Deuce has got to improve his consistency. He had so many drops this year. The only reason he kept playing was we didn’t have anything better. He did make some great plays thru the year but he has to make the routine plays more routine next year.
Agree totally, but I think he had more drops in beginning of season than towards the end. Possibly growing pains with new team (and having to recieve throws from first QB). All receivers seemed to have performed better once Pratt got in game.
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:33 am
Bham Wave wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:10 am Deuce has got to improve his consistency. He had so many drops this year. The only reason he kept playing was we didn’t have anything better. He did make some great plays thru the year but he has to make the routine plays more routine next year.
Agree totally, but I think he had more drops in beginning of season than towards the end. Possibly growing pains with new team (and having to recieve throws from first QB). All receivers seemed to have performed better once Pratt got in game.
People were still complaining about the drops after Pratt took over. Even when Howard hit them right in the hands such as the two throws in the 2nd half of the Navy debacle they dropped them. They were equal opportunity droppers.
We still aren't there!
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

5-10 speedster with a lot of success. This is a terrific pick-up at a position of need. Draft kings list him as a potential player to be drafted. Hope we can secure his commitment. By the way, he played at Lake Area New Tech high school in New Orleans??
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:58 pm 5-10 speedster with a lot of success. This is a terrific pick-up at a position of need. Draft kings list him as a potential player to be drafted. Hope we can secure his commitment. By the way, he played at Lake Area New Tech high school in New Orleans??
https://wgno.com/news/local/john-f-kenn ... n-in-july/
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

FW, thanks
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I wish we had Mooney back. He is having a bonus day for the Bears today.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm I wish we had Mooney back. He is having a bonus day for the Bears today.
If we are going full Bears, bring back Cairo and Forte too. :lol:
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Before he got hurt, he had 11 catches today, tied for the rookie record for da bears. I watched Cairo make a FG, too.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

WOW !! Hope it Happens
Private Joker
Navigator Level

Post by Private Joker »

A McNeese WR? Is there a reason to think he can play well at the D-I level?
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Private Joker wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 am A McNeese WR? Is there a reason to think he can play well at the D-I level?
How is it any different or maybe better than the stats the Watts brothers put up in JUCO?

Or if you want to stay in a cynical state of mind, as was ably demonstrated this year, is there any reason to think a P5 transfer can play well at Tulane?

So in short, it depends.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pro teams are looking at this kid. No, the jump from McNeese to Tulane is too much to handle.

Just like the Ivy League center we had a couple of years ago. The jump proved he had a really tough time. Or perhaps Dorian Williams who was virtually offered by no one.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 am
Private Joker wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 am A McNeese WR? Is there a reason to think he can play well at the D-I level?
How is it any different or maybe better than the stats the Watts brothers put up in JUCO?

Or if you want to stay in a cynical state of mind, as was ably demonstrated this year, is there any reason to think a P5 transfer can play well at Tulane?

So in short, it depends.
Yeah, I think you just have to trust the coaches to evaluate. I did dig through what I think was his time at McNeese and came up with 3 games vs FBS teams. One was ULL when I think he would've been a freshman and another was 2019 against OK St. He didn't do anything spectacular in either game. In between that, he was the leading receiver for McNeese in a game against BYU in 2018. Really hard to draw any conclusions from that sample size, but he does seem like he was productive for them.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

He will be a 23 year old man when he plays for Tulane next year. He will have had 20 months off from competitive football so he will be fresh and motivated. He has produced at every level he has played including his last one. I like the prospects for 2021 especially at a position that has been Tulane's Achilles Heel. We'll see if promotion works.
wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:29 am He will be a 23 year old man when he plays for Tulane next year. He will have had 20 months off from competitive football so he will be fresh and motivated. He has produced at every level he has played including his last one. I like the prospects for 2021 especially at a position that has been Tulane's Achilles Heel. We'll see if promotion works.
Sounds just like someone else . Hmmm
We still aren't there!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

After the mixed bag of results we have had from transfers from lower levels, G5s, "lesser thought of" P5s, and true P5 blue bloods (Oklahoma and FSU transfers this past year) - in other words, ALL levels - I'm solidly staying with the "stay calm, wait and see" for every transfer we get.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 pm After the mixed bag of results we have had from transfers from lower levels, G5s, "lesser thought of" P5s, and true P5 blue bloods (Oklahoma and FSU transfers this past year) - in other words, ALL levels - I'm solidly staying with the "stay calm, wait and see" for every transfer we get.
Witht his guy there is reason to bee more optimistic. He has walked the walk, he wasnt beat out or didnt pan out. Him and McClesky are the most proven transfers we have gotten by far iirc. If he is as decent as Mclesky it will be a notable upgrade to our group there.

From what I understand you dont see the FCS to FBS transfes even when players are ccapable of coming in and starting is they:

1. Are already getting the ball enough or enough playing time so that isnt an issue and transferring just risk that.
2. FCS programs dont redshirt good players beause they have fewer scholarships and thus there are less 5th year players to be grad transfers.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 pm After the mixed bag of results we have had from transfers from lower levels, G5s, "lesser thought of" P5s, and true P5 blue bloods (Oklahoma and FSU transfers this past year) - in other words, ALL levels - I'm solidly staying with the "stay calm, wait and see" for every transfer we get.
Unlike our attitude with High School recruits. :green wink:
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Were the guys from the “big” schools that good? I know the FSU guy left, the OK wr seemed to drop it alot.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:22 am Were the guys from the “big” schools that good? I know the FSU guy left, the OK wr seemed to drop it alot.
That was my point... We got excited about the guys from the big schools and they didn't pan out, so we likewise shouldn't necessarily be discouraged by getting a guy who was successful at a smaller program.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 am
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:22 am Were the guys from the “big” schools that good? I know the FSU guy left, the OK wr seemed to drop it alot.
That was my point... We got excited about the guys from the big schools and they didn't pan out, so we likewise shouldn't necessarily be discouraged by getting a guy who was successful at a smaller program.
sorry to be Debbie Downer here, but our transfers have mostly underwhelmed... Banks was adequate, McMillan was probably our best transfer during the Fritz era but had his flaws followed by Dauphine as a close second, Kevin Henry didn't make a lot of plays and was off the field more as the season went on... the Duke O lineman and Knutson were both beat out by a walk on for snaps at RG... McCleskey had one massive play during his career at Tulane but had little impact overall... Mikel Jones was invisible and is leaving.. Ajani Kerr was solid and is probably our third best transfer behind McMillan and Dauphine.. or perhaps tied for third best with Montano

We need, if we want to keep up with UCF, SMU and Memphis, players to be on the level of Beuchele or Brady White... guys who make the team significantly better... not just a cog in the machine who honestly, barely beat out guys who were here already.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest