Stephon Huderson is moving on

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
long green
Cornerstone

Stephon Huderson is moving on

Unread post by long green »

FTW just tweeted that Huderson will put his name in the transfer pool. With Brumfield coming in we're probably okay at the top of the depth chart but we need at least one other new guy. Best of luck to Stephon.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Stephon Huderson is moving on

Unread post by TUPF »

Was this expected? I am shocked but then I am not dialed in like you guys are.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Brumfield will take carries away from him. If Spears gets healthy soon enough he'll take carries away from him. If we get a good HS signee who knows he's likely to redshirt we're no worse off.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Willie Langham is now also putting in for a transfer. That is a blow to our secondary depth even if Langham hasn't developed like say Thakarius Keyes.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

long green wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:07 pm Willie Langham is now also putting in for a transfer. That is a blow to our secondary depth even if Langham hasn't developed like say Thakarius Keyes.
Transfers and incoming freshman will replace these guys and do a great job. Our RB room is strong. Decisions like these are often made after a meeting with coaches. Both guys probably realized they would be competing for spots and it makes sense for them to move on. Expect to see Huderson at USM. He visited there last week.
long green
Cornerstone

The "room" needs more people in it. As I said before, last year we tried to sign a back out of HS and didn't. For most of this recruiting class we had two backs committed but now have just one signed. We are running short on our future there at the moment.

It's not dire. Brumfield should make up for Huderson leaving. Indeed, it's possible Huderson communicating his intentions got us to lock Brumfield up. We have four slots and right now we need a RB and a DB in two of them.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

I agree with LG that our RB room needs one more body. The question becomes do you need a young RB or a placeholder? If Spears is healthy and returns to form, he's the top dog. Brumfield and Carroll are like having starter quality RBs as backups. Then you have Celestine and Booker (who is coming off an injury and may not be ready for the start of next season). We finished the Tulsa game with 1 semi-healthy RB and were possibly going to give Christian Daniels some carries against Memphis if we had another injury, so we know how quickly injuries can eat into depth. I'm sorry to see Stephon go, but if he wants to be the clear top dog somewhere, he's going to have to find a new team.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

This makes us weaker. He was a versatile back, most dependable and least prone to injury. Rarely fumbled. Great at catching balls out of the backfield. Replacements are conjecture.
long green
Cornerstone

1401973 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:47 pm This makes us weaker. He was a versatile back, most dependable and least prone to injury. Rarely fumbled. Great at catching balls out of the backfield. Replacements are conjecture.
I'd have disputed that heading into last year. Not now. I think Carroll and Brumfield will do us proud but Stephon proved to be a very good back.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

1401973 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:47 pm This makes us weaker. He was a versatile back, most dependable and least prone to injury. Rarely fumbled. Great at catching balls out of the backfield. Replacements are conjecture.
the addition of Brumfield makes it a wash at the least...but I think Brumfield is an upgrade. He had 5 catches in 3 games this season at Utah... Huderson had 7 catches in 12. It would have been great to have both of them for sure... but it is what it is.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

The biggest hole this leaves is someone to compliment Carrol and possibly spears. Hunderson really ran with great vision to able to pick up 3-4 yards consistantly and rarely if ever get caught in the backfield. You could count on him in third and short situations or second and tens when you needed 4-5 yards to make it third and managable. Carrol is good for more 5-20 yard runs but does get caught in the backfield more than he should. If Brumfield can be that gurantee you 3-4 yards guy on second and third down then losing Huderson doesnt hurt.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

So is Booker going to be OK. Was it a serious injury?
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

Radio Wave wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:00 pm So is Booker going to be OK. Was it a serious injury?
There was never really any word on Booker's injury. It happened later in the year (I forget the game, we were at home), so his recovery, will be finished later in this year. Hopefully by the start, but could be not until mid-season.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Gonna miss Huderson for sure. I enjoyed watching him run. Wish him the best.
MOVING ON UP!
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

TU23 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm I agree with LG that our RB room needs one more body. The question becomes do you need a young RB or a placeholder? If Spears is healthy and returns to form, he's the top dog. Brumfield and Carroll are like having starter quality RBs as backups. Then you have Celestine and Booker (who is coming off an injury and may not be ready for the start of next season). We finished the Tulsa game with 1 semi-healthy RB and were possibly going to give Christian Daniels some carries against Memphis if we had another injury, so we know how quickly injuries can eat into depth. I'm sorry to see Stephon go, but if he wants to be the clear top dog somewhere, he's going to have to find a new team.
I think the PWO that is coming in with the QB from texas will be good enough at the least to fill in emergency situiations. Have have you or LG watched his tape? What do you think?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

I'm not as sanguine as you. He may well turn out good and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so as a slot WR/KR down the road.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

long green wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:58 pm I'm not as sanguine as you. He may well turn out good and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so as a slot WR/KR down the road.
In either case he should better than moving TEs and WRs to RB.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking not suggesting that.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:49 am
long green wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:58 pm I'm not as sanguine as you. He may well turn out good and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so as a slot WR/KR down the road.
In either case he should better than moving TEs and WRs to RB.
Definitely a better choice to have as a RB than converted QB/TE.
MOVING ON UP!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Tweeted a McNeese offer today...
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

He leave us or we say, “look elsewhere”?
long green
Cornerstone

I can't imagine we'd have done that. One should remember that his workload would have been very different if Tyjae had stayed healthy.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

long green wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:39 pm I can't imagine we'd have done that. One should remember that his workload would have been very different if Tyjae had stayed healthy.
I appreciate what Hudderson did and would like to have him here next season, but I will take a healthy Tajae over Huderson.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Surprised he's not at USM already.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

ml wave wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:24 am Surprised he's not at USM already.
Me too. Close connection to the HC and close to home.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson