MBB at Tulsa, WBB hosts Tulsa

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
RI WAVE
Breaker Level

Re: MBB at Tulsa, WBB hosts Tulsa

Post by RI WAVE »

Think it took TD having a conversation with Hunter for him to see the light? Hope not, but probable since he has been somewhat myopic so far.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

RI WAVE wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:54 am Think it took TD having a conversation with Hunter for him to see the light? Hope not, but probable since he has been somewhat myopic so far.
Let's give Coach the benefit of the doubt that in the face of unquestionable data he figured it out. We used to say that you get a passing GPA if you recognize the right answer when shown. :-D
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I always like to point out Coach K as an example of being patient. Below are his teams records the first 3 years:

17-13
10-17
11-17

Coach Hunter is no Coach K, but it shows you have to give a coach a chance. Had he coached at Tulane, many on this board would have demanded he be sent back to coach in the Patriot league.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

I'm not sure anyone has realized how bad Coach Hunter had Covid. He details it in this story in The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2380523/2021/02 ... ck-pitino/

The 56-year-old coach still struggles with fatigue and shortness of breath. A doctor recently prescribed an inhaler, which is helping some, but most days Hunter is so dog tired that once he’s home, he hunkers down with some Netflix, not even interested in walking in the mild Louisiana weather. “I’m never tired. I’m the Energizer bunny,’’ he says. “Now I’m tired all the time.’’
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Tito wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:31 pm If you haven’t read this yes, we all should:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 1vtTzhalFk

We’ve got a coach who does get it.
Yes! Most of the above posts were written prior to this article. It may have taken Hunter longer than I (all of us) wished for him to see the Three's just weren't doing it. Sweeping this road trip would be great for everyone (player and fan). I hope the team continues to believe in their coach and follow his instructions.
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

washwave wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:23 am I'm not sure anyone has realized how bad Coach Hunter had Covid. He details it in this story in The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2380523/2021/02 ... ck-pitino/

The 56-year-old coach still struggles with fatigue and shortness of breath. A doctor recently prescribed an inhaler, which is helping some, but most days Hunter is so dog tired that once he’s home, he hunkers down with some Netflix, not even interested in walking in the mild Louisiana weather. “I’m never tired. I’m the Energizer bunny,’’ he says. “Now I’m tired all the time.’’
Sorta how I felt for last four years after being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am There are some positive signs and we are young. As to Hunter if he got it the change would have occurred much earlier. Since early last season our fan base has been complaining loudly about the offense. Glad he's seen the light but he should have seen it much sooner than this.
If you go by the article, he thought we would be a good shooting team and then adjusted after 13 games. Not sure what more you would want, especially given how erratic this year has been for games/practices.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

NJwave wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:09 am I always like to point out Coach K as an example of being patient. Below are his teams records the first 3 years:

17-13
10-17
11-17

Coach Hunter is no Coach K, but it shows you have to give a coach a chance. Had he coached at Tulane, many on this board would have demanded he be sent back to coach in the Patriot league.
No one said he should be fired. Just said he should have gotten this sooner.
We still aren't there!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 pm
wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 am There are some positive signs and we are young. As to Hunter if he got it the change would have occurred much earlier. Since early last season our fan base has been complaining loudly about the offense. Glad he's seen the light but he should have seen it much sooner than this.
If you go by the article, he thought we would be a good shooting team and then adjusted after 13 games. Not sure what more you would want, especially given how erratic this year has been for games/practices.
What people have wanted from last year was that he recognize he didn't have the shooters then or now to keep just chucking up threes. One would expect that since he was with them at all those practices that he would have done a much better job of evaluating what he had talent wise.
We still aren't there!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:12 pm
What people have wanted from last year was that he recognize he didn't have the shooters then or now to keep just chucking up threes. One would expect that since he was with them at all those practices that he would have done a much better job of evaluating what he had talent wise.
It's a totally different team than last year though.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Right and I acknowledged that in my post. Same problem both times though. He didn't recognize that neither group could shoot till it was too late.
We still aren't there!
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:12 pm
Perhaps, dare I say, in practice, the players are draining those threes. We may not face as good of defenses when practicing against ourselves. So, he expects the shots to fall during games.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Then we played thirteen games before he got it. A little late to the party. But better late than never.
We still aren't there!
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

We sure have a lot of unemployed coaches on this board. Lol. How many have attended practices?

Hunter has won everywhere he has been. That tells me he knows more about basketball than I do.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

No one said they know more about basketball than Hunter. It's a fan forum where people give their thoughts on their team. Criticism of our offense is warranted. Yes he's won at every level he's coached at but he hasn't coached at this level before. We all hope he proves that he can win here.
We still aren't there!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 pm Then we played thirteen games before he got it. A little late to the party. But better late than never.
How many games is the right number? Should he have totally changed his offense based on our first poor shooting game? Hard to have your players buy in to your system if it doesn't seem like you are committed to it.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

A lot less than 13. That offense didn't work last year. It clearly didn't this year. He failed on that end. He's finally seen the light and will hopefully keep on it. After this season he needs to bring in an offensive minded assistant.
We still aren't there!
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:20 pm A lot less than 13. That offense didn't work last year. It clearly didn't this year. He failed on that end. He's finally seen the light and will hopefully keep on it. After this season he needs to bring in an offensive minded assistant.
I don’t think anyone can disagree with this, but something tells me someone will.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Not really disagreeing but you all make it seem that nothing else was going on over the last 2 years. I am inclined to give Coach Hunter time. Roll Wave!!!
Last edited by MNAlum on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I never said anything about Coach Hunter’s job status. We have improved, but our lack of offense for almost two years is something to be concerned about. And the ability to adjust on the run is a quality all coaches must have.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:56 pm I never said anything about Coach Hunter’s job status. We have improved, but our lack of offense for almost two years is something to be concerned about. And the ability to adjust on the run is a quality all coaches must have.
+1
We still aren't there!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

I think it's safe to say that higher-level basketball (certainly NBA, much of college, maybe even high school but I wouldn't know) has adopted the concept of focusing on the three as the best way to win. I assume originally driven by today's use of advanced stats, and clearly reinforced by the success of Golden State and others. What I don't know enough about is whether those stats just say "you are better off shooting more threes", PERIOD, or whether there are clear indicators that it's only better to be three-centric if you {X} (where {X} might be "shoot better than some percentage", or "hold the opponent to a certain number", or "don't turn the ball over more than so many times", or something.)

If the question is why we have played the "shoot a ton of threes" offense for a year and a half, I could throw out a half-dozen possible reasons off the top of my head... only a few of which would (might?) justify why it took us so long to change... and even if there was a legit stats-driven argument that it was the best way to go, practical real-world experience has shown that it does not work for us most of the time.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Hunter had to throw together a team out of nothing his first year. Then he had to do almost the same thing this year. His offense gets a temporary pass from me for that reason.

If he has to build a brand new team this offseason the offense isn't the problem.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am Hunter had to throw together a team out of nothing his first year. Then he had to do almost the same thing this year. His offense gets a temporary pass from me for that reason.

If he has to build a brand new team this offseason the offense isn't the problem.
Yeah, this is my point...the whole team is different this year, so our offense last year is irrelevant. Pete, any insight on changing offenses/philosophy midway through a season?
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It was a bad offense when Conroy ran it. You'd think our fan base would have seen enough of it to know it doesn't work. These other teams that shoot 3's and have success do so because they don't just come down and pass it up top and then shoot a 3 late in the clock. They work the ball around and attack the goal and dish out to open shooters or they pass in it inside and then dish out to open shooters. Glad we finally came around on that but it was obvious from day one what we had been doing won't work.
We still aren't there!