2021 Football Schedule

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
President's Circle

Re: 2021 Football Schedule

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:38 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm I can see the OU-TU game being on ESPN+. So we can pick the time. If that happens people need to be in Dannen's ear about all those people leaving the GT game on gurney's.
Hard to imagine Oklahoma not being on a network somewhere.
They have us as an opponent. Depends on all the other big time teams playing that day and who they play.
We still aren't there!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm I can see the OU-TU game being on ESPN+. So we can pick the time. If that happens people need to be in Dannen's ear about all those people leaving the GT game on gurney's.
Except last time we played them we were on their PPV network or whatever it was. Of course that was an away game.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 pm
Except last time we played them we were on their PPV network or whatever it was. Of course that was an away game.
Yep. There's that too.
We still aren't there!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

So if it's being our home game means our TV contract dictates, then I'd imagine ESPN would want to feature our game on a network simply because they'll want to air a top five team in week one. Isn't the AAC guaranteed a couple of games per week on real networks (not just streaming on plus)? If so, looking at the AAC slate above, we're certainly going to be one of them.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm So if it's being our home game means our TV contract dictates, .
Home field always dictates tv contracts

thats why espn loves the pres eason neutral site games, they can set the terms of the contract
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm So if it's being our home game means our TV contract dictates, then I'd imagine ESPN would want to feature our game on a network simply because they'll want to air a top five team in week one. Isn't the AAC guaranteed a couple of games per week on real networks (not just streaming on plus)? If so, looking at the AAC slate above, we're certainly going to be one of them.
You would think the same thing would apply when OU was the home team and they are clearly one of the top teams in their conference yet it ended up on PPV.
We still aren't there!
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:07 pm

You would think the same thing would apply when OU was the home team and they are clearly one of the top teams in their conference yet it ended up on PPV.
At that time (don't know if it is still true) Oklahoma put one home game on PPV every year. THeir fans complained terribly, but it was standard for them. Usually did it as a moneymaker for a game that otherwise wouldnt make tv money
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:07 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm So if it's being our home game means our TV contract dictates, then I'd imagine ESPN would want to feature our game on a network simply because they'll want to air a top five team in week one. Isn't the AAC guaranteed a couple of games per week on real networks (not just streaming on plus)? If so, looking at the AAC slate above, we're certainly going to be one of them.
The way I'm looking at it is, when the Big 12 looked over the teams their conference was playing that weekend, Tulane was probably not one of the top opponents and therefore didn't garner one of the Big 12's network spots. But when the AAC looks at the opponents that its teams are playing that weekend, Oklahoma is going to literally be the best one.

In other words (so to speak, using "proverbial numbers"), if the Big 12 has a million eyes on it, Tulane might bring an extra 100, whereas other Big 12 opponents that weekend might have brought 1000. But if the AAC has ten thousand eyes on it, Oklahoma is probably gonna bring 5000 more. So the AAC is going to get pushed to feature the Oklahoma game because of more eyeballs watching commercials.

Not trying to argue with you, just seems like this is how it would work. Johnny Mac should weigh in since he literally worked in TV...
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

But does our conference want to risk showing a possible beat down while trying to promote itself as a P6.
We still aren't there!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:33 pm But does our conference want to risk showing a possible beat down while trying to promote itself as a P6.
Could be a factor, but I suspect TV eyeballs/money will drive the decision over some Aresco-driven image spin. We'll see. Easy to argue both sides of that coin (and both sides of the "how strong should our schedule be" argument have indeed been beaten to death here over the years).
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I will be astounded if this game is not on one of ESPN's four regular networks or even as a longer shot ABC. It gave AAC alot of money for programming rights for those networks and not just ESPN+. OU will be a Top 10 team if not Top 5 at game time. Showing OU generates ratings and ad fees.

Unfortunately ESPN will then call kickoff time and we may very well see a start in oppressive early September heat. Hope not. But if CBS/SEC regularly does it to LSU and Bama, ESPN/AAC will do the same to Tulane.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

wavedom wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:33 pm But does our conference want to risk showing a possible beat down while trying to promote itself as a P6.
Yes, showing Oklahoma getting beat down by Tulane is a bad look. :roll:
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:38 pm
Could be a factor, but I suspect TV eyeballs/money will drive the decision over some Aresco-driven image spin. We'll see. Easy to argue both sides of that coin (and both sides of the "how strong should our schedule be" argument have indeed been beaten to death here over the years).
But how many eyeballs ? Most see that match up and figure they know the score before kick-off. We're not the only conference with a contract with ESPN . It all depends on all the other match-ups that day that involve all the many teams that have contracts with ESPN.
We still aren't there!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Sophandros wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:30 pm
Yes, showing Oklahoma getting beat down by Tulane is a bad look. :roll:
Right. :roll:
We still aren't there!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:29 am
But how many eyeballs ? Most see that match up and figure they know the score before kick-off. We're not the only conference with a contract with ESPN . It all depends on all the other match-ups that day that involve all the many teams that have contracts with ESPN.
No, but I believe the AAC gets a certain number of games on networks (vs. streaming) and they'd want to maximize the eyeballs on those which were. If I'm wrong and the AAC doesn't necessarily get any games on networks any particular weekend, then maybe not. No biggie, we'll find out when we find out.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:20 pm
WaveProf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm
Cheerleader wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pmUndefeated with that schedule will put us in the Championship series.
No way. They would humor us but we wouldn’t make it. Maybe, just maybe, if Oklahoma ran the table beside us, andWe got some other dominoes to fall..... But if we we Oklahoma, that means they aren’t good enough to run the table
If Oklahoma lost to us they could still win out and call it "first game jitters" and end up highly ranked. If they worked their way back up all season long and we were sitting there undefeated with a win over them, we'd get a long look. But the other key (as I pointed out in the redundant thread back in December) is we'd need Cincinnati to be undefeated, meaning they'd have won at Notre Dame a few weeks before their visit to Yulman. Considering they're likely to start the year around the top ten, they'd probably be ranked in the top five when we played them, meaning we'd have a win over two top five teams (Oklahoma projects to be preseason #3). Most SEC teams not named Alabama don't get two top five wins in a single season.

For this reason, I had the same thought as Cheerleader back in that December thread. But today I'd say "we would have a better argument than any previous G5"... not that we'd get in. After watching what the committee did to Cincinnati this past year (dropping them enough poll spots during off weeks to keep them out of contention, even if it meant moving two-loss P5 teams past them), I'm now convinced no G5 will ever make the CFP under the present scenario.

Regardless, I'm not expecting to be undefeated so it's moot... :green wink:
I was just remembering that in 98 when we were undefeated, they didn't put us in the BCS series or a top bowl game because "we didn't beat anybody good". This schedule is a lot tougher, with OK and Ole Miss plus the top ranked AAC teams. If we start off with wins against OK and Ole Miss, that will vault us up the rankings right away and bring a lot of attention to the team. Now, is that feasible, not really, but I can always dream.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Cheerleader wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:45 am
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:20 pm
WaveProf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm
Cheerleader wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pmUndefeated with that schedule will put us in the Championship series.
No way. They would humor us but we wouldn’t make it. Maybe, just maybe, if Oklahoma ran the table beside us, andWe got some other dominoes to fall..... But if we we Oklahoma, that means they aren’t good enough to run the table
If Oklahoma lost to us they could still win out and call it "first game jitters" and end up highly ranked. If they worked their way back up all season long and we were sitting there undefeated with a win over them, we'd get a long look. But the other key (as I pointed out in the redundant thread back in December) is we'd need Cincinnati to be undefeated, meaning they'd have won at Notre Dame a few weeks before their visit to Yulman. Considering they're likely to start the year around the top ten, they'd probably be ranked in the top five when we played them, meaning we'd have a win over two top five teams (Oklahoma projects to be preseason #3). Most SEC teams not named Alabama don't get two top five wins in a single season.

For this reason, I had the same thought as Cheerleader back in that December thread. But today I'd say "we would have a better argument than any previous G5"... not that we'd get in. After watching what the committee did to Cincinnati this past year (dropping them enough poll spots during off weeks to keep them out of contention, even if it meant moving two-loss P5 teams past them), I'm now convinced no G5 will ever make the CFP under the present scenario.

Regardless, I'm not expecting to be undefeated so it's moot... :green wink:
I was just remembering that in 98 when we were undefeated, they didn't put us in the BCS series or a top bowl game because "we didn't beat anybody good". This schedule is a lot tougher, with OK and Ole Miss plus the top ranked AAC teams. If we start off with wins against OK and Ole Miss, that will vault us up the rankings right away and bring a lot of attention to the team. Now, is that feasible, not really, but I can always dream.
Yes, I agreed with you in concept... But I think every year it's clearly being shown more and more that no G5 is getting in the CFP no matter what. The polls will simply bump other teams back over us every week as we "only" beat "weak" AAC teams. Meanwhile a 2-loss Georgia or Auburn will beat some SEC "powerhouse" like Vanderbilt or South Carolina and will leapfrog an AAC team in the polls because of it.
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Oh, but what about missing the chance to televise an upset?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It's perfectly feasible, it's just not likely.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:09 am
wavedom wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:29 am
No, but I believe the AAC gets a certain number of games on networks (vs. streaming) and they'd want to maximize the eyeballs on those which were. If I'm wrong and the AAC doesn't necessarily get any games on networks any particular weekend, then maybe not. No biggie, we'll find out when we find out.
Look I'm certainly hopeful it gets on a network station mainly for our out of town fans. Doesn't matter to me as I will be there unless this pandemic has ruined things again. We'll know about both in due time.
We still aren't there!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 am
Oh, but what about missing the chance to televise an upset?
I doubt that will register with the executives that have to make the decisions as they won't see it as having any chance. I hope we prove them wrong.
We still aren't there!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The cold economic fact is a lot more folks will want to watch Oklahoma-Tulane than Tulane-Tulsa. Contractually you make the network show the latter but ask that the former which would be a money maker for ESPN instead be buried relatively because an AAC member's feelings might be hurt?

If ESPN does that, I'm selling my Disney stock. That's an incredibly losing business decision for Disney (and Tulane and the AAC.)

In short ESPN/AAC will not walk away from eyeballs and ad revenue because of a potential beatdown. I won't have to sell my Disney stock. Let's move on to why we'd still be speaking French if Napoleon had a B52 at Waterloo.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

We'll see. It's a matter of what other big name teams are playing that day too. Then there's the fact that ESPN is trying to grow ESPN+. Obviously a good chance it ends up on a network station but not a lock due to the variables mentioned.
We still aren't there!
purplehaz3
Riptide Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

We could very easily win 8 games. Many of you seem to have forgotten that the only reason we lost that game at Auburn a couple of years ago was a lack of offensive production. We’re significantly stronger offensively now with a much better young core. We could definitely win of those ‘tough’ away games. Plenty of confidence in Pratt, Spears (was looking like an NFL prospect), improved O line and the new OC. I expect a top 25 ranking this year and I’m sure Fritz does as well.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 am Let's move on to why we'd still be speaking French if Napoleon had a B52 at Waterloo.
We wouldn't be speaking French. Napoleon had no airfields, no fuel, and no trained pilots for that B52. And he had already sold Louisiana 12 years before Waterloo.

Anyway, the OU game will be on TV. We will watch. It will be my birthday. I expect a present, Willie Fritz. :)