A word of warning/advice if you are going to a baseball game....

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
sprout1550
Coach Level

A word of warning/advice if you are going to a baseball game....

Post by sprout1550 »

Today, we were fortunate enough to get tickets to the game. It was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, the game didn't turn out the way we wanted, but I was happy to be there. There were very few people there by design obviously, and it seems like there is room for many more with plenty of social distancing, but hey, I was glad to be there. The mask rule is strictly enforced. They had plenty of concessions even with so few allowed in. They do not sell beer.

Here is my warning/advice. Take advantage of the free parking, on campus, in the garage. I know some folks today that wish they had and I certainly will in the future.

I met a buddy at the game. I haven't been to Ted's in forever, so we agreed to meet there. I parked right in front of Robert's. My buddy parked in front of the State Farm agency. There was plenty of street parking, as we figured, due to so few people being allowed at the game. There were numerous fans in Ted's. There was really no one on the street since there weren't many fans going to the game. Felipe's had some customers. It was broad daylight, 1:40pm, but that didn't stop some scumbags from pulling up in their car and doing a quick smash and grab, busting out the windows of two trucks before they grabbed what they could and hauled @ss! The Tulane fans whose truck was one of those burglarized, sat helplessly in Felipe's while this went down, watching some dirtballs take their stuff. I say sat helplessly, because they had the good restraint not to confront the pieces of garbage who did this, for fear of losing their lives over some material stuff and a smashed window. The crazy thing is my wife and I had just parked, moments before the truck alarm went off and we had just gone in Ted's. I can't help but wonder if we had been on the street if my wife would have been attacked for her purse, or me robbed of my wallet.

Unfortunately, to add insult to injury, it took NOPD nearly two hours to show up and take the license plate info and make a report. I'm sure they're busy and understaffed, but this seemed to be a little ridiculous considering the brazen act.

It's becoming the wild west. Be careful and park on campus if you go.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: A word of warning/advice if you are going to a baseball game....

Post by windywave »

sprout1550 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:38 pm They do not sell beer.
That's an atrocity
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

windywave wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:06 pm
sprout1550 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:38 pm They do not sell beer.
That's an atrocity
I was disappointed but not surprised. They didn’t sell it at the two FB games fans were allowed to attend. It’s tough to watch baseball and eat peanuts without beer! Oh well!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

IIRC, That area is within the TUPD area of operation. Controlling campus area crime is a top university priority and I know patrols were increased after the recent armed robberies. So I assume after this we will see the effort ramped again to control it. In most cases, the perps who smash and grab do it serially and not just on random occasion. Regrettably this will continue (and almost certainly around campus) until these people are stopped.

Separate question: Is the new DA treating "victimless property crimes" like smash and grabs seriously? These crimes have exploded in California and other jurisdictions where local prosecutors and courts have treated these almost literally dismissively. I hope that will not be the case here because it will only get worse if property vandalism and theft is not addressed directly.

Meanwhile as recommended: use on campus parking.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:13 am In most cases, the perps who smash and grab do it serially and not just on random occasion. Regrettably this will continue (and almost certainly around campus) until these people are stopped.
When the police ran the plate info, they said it was linked to at least six other similar incidences. It's shocking that the thieves don't even bother to steal a new plate. Of course, I assume the car/plate was stolen to begin with....
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Were the guys doing all the stealing from Lafayette and wearing cleats by chance?

Too soon?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sprout1550 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 am
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:13 am In most cases, the perps who smash and grab do it serially and not just on random occasion. Regrettably this will continue (and almost certainly around campus) until these people are stopped.
When the police ran the plate info, they said it was linked to at least six other similar incidences. It's shocking that the thieves don't even bother to steal a new plate. Of course, I assume the car/plate was stolen to begin with....
During the pandemic my wife and I have been gorging on crime dramas so much so that we have run out of US ones, gone through UK/Scandinavian/Icelandic ones, and are now back to Dexter which we had never seen. You mean the Keyhole satellites or omnipresent CCTV cameras with license plate recognition software in New Orleans aren't leading a SWAT team to the perps' hangouts in real time? :wink:

In all seriousness I feel badly for you. Back in the day when I was living in Hartford for awhile thieves broke into my sports car parked in our gated apartment complex three times to steal my radio. Other people's cars too. The major expense each time was the damage they did prying open the car door lock, not the radio itself. It got so bad a bunch of us stood midwatch to catch them and yes, it turned out to be just two guys working a circuit.
Last edited by TUPF on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Homicide Like on the Street. Andre Braugher is great. Read the book too
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

I'm really sorry this happened and very glad you reported it here. It's good to be aware and factor that into all decisions. That said, as someone who walks 6 miles a day uptown (including after dark), and as someone who has two friends who live right on Claiborne less than a mile from there, it is most certainly not like the "wild west" around here these days.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:10 am I'm really sorry this happened and very glad you reported it here. It's good to be aware and factor that into all decisions. That said, as someone who walks 6 miles a day uptown (including after dark), and as someone who has two friends who live right on Claiborne less than a mile from there, it is most certainly not like the "wild west" around here these days.
I understand what sprout is feeling no matter if it IS the Wild West or it's a one-off as he watched. The first time it happened to me I was angry. Took awhile for a body shop to repair my foreign sports car door and find the lock parts in those days. The second time it happened a few months later I was livid. I swear when it happened the third time about 6 months from the first I would have shot the thieves from my apartment window with a sniper rifle. You feel violated. You feel intense anger about the effing brazenness of thieves who operate with impunity. They think they won't get caught like what sprout watched in real time until their stupidity final trips them up.

The fact they robbed in broad daylight with no care for the ample witnesses makes me glad no one tried to stop them in real time because they might have been armed. Not worth finding out. It still leaves you seething.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:10 am I'm really sorry this happened and very glad you reported it here. It's good to be aware and factor that into all decisions. That said, as someone who walks 6 miles a day uptown (including after dark), and as someone who has two friends who live right on Claiborne less than a mile from there, it is most certainly not like the "wild west" around here these days.
Sorry if that description ruffles your feathers, but while sitting in the game, I got an alert about the shootout in JP (I know that's not NO, but regardless---three dead, right?!) and then as the game ended, the shooting off of Louisiana Ave that left one dead and one clinging to life. All of this factored in our decision to skip dinner in the City (I wanted Pascal's) and just head on back home. I guess the wild west might have actually been safer....

I feel for New Orleanians. I love the City, but I'm not going to spend any more time there other than necessary to support Tulane.
Last edited by sprout1550 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Thanks for the heads up . Much appreciated. Sorry it happened and you all had to witness it. Your wild west description is very apt at the moment.
We still aren't there!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

sprout1550 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am
Sorry if that description ruffles your feathers, but while sitting in the game, I got an alert about the shootout in JP (I know that's not NO, but regardless---three dead, right?!) and then as the game ended, the shooting off of Louisiana Ave that left one dead and one clinging to life. All of this factored in our decision to skip dinner in the City (I wanted Pascal's) and just head on back home. I guess the wild west might have actually been safer....

I feel for New Orleanians. I love the City, but I'm not going to spend any more time there other than necessary to support Tulane.
Pfft.... heyjackass.com will have you feeling better about NOLA
#cousins don't count
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

windywave wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 pm
sprout1550 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 am

Pfft.... heyjackass.com will have you feeling better about NOLA
Okay, so NO is safer than Chicago. Fukushima is safer than Chernobyl, but I still wouldn't want to visit either!
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

NJwave wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:37 am Were the guys doing all the stealing from Lafayette and wearing cleats by chance?

Too soon?
That's a good one!
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

This is a good example (as is the shootout at the Metairie gun dealership yesterday) why legal gun ownership should be encouraged. I do support the idea of every owner having to obtain a license proving you’ve been trained on safety and proper usage, similar to needing a driver’s license to operate a vehicle.

In this case, you hit one of them, the rest start to think twice about the next one.

They are starting to spill into Jefferson Parish. 3 juveniles were arrested Friday night for attempting to break into a car occupied by a plain clothes detective as part of a sting operation in old Metairie. They were finally caught after a chase. They were driving a stolen Lexus SUV.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

sprout1550 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm
NJwave wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:37 am Were the guys doing all the stealing from Lafayette and wearing cleats by chance?

Too soon?
That's a good one!
Thanks for having a sense of humor. The experience must have been awful and I didn’t mean to make light of it. Just thought a slight chuckle at my bad sense of humor might help some.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

I particularly like Sprout so I'm deleting this message. But the hogwash coming from multiple people in this thread is uncalled for. There are problems in this city, in any city. But the gross overstatement of danger is not helpful to anyone.
Last edited by WaveProf on Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

It was unsettling and I'm glad neither was my vehicle. I'm alright. I am mostly just annoyed that this kind of thing would happen in broad daylight so close to campus, while we're trying to support TU. Just brazen. I can't help but be p!ssed off about it, and again, neither was my vehicle.

On top of that, no beer and Tulane should have won!
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

sprout1550 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm Tulane should have won!
Is ULL as good this year as they were a few years back? I don't follow college baseball at all anymore, but I thought they were like a top 20 program for a few years.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 pm I particularly like Sprout so I'm deleting this message. But the hogwash coming from multiple people in this thread is uncalled for. There are problems in this city, in any city. But the gross overstatement of danger is not helpful to anyone.
I get it. You live there. I don't. You see it day to day and feel safe.

Sorry if my description rubbed you the wrong way. Really, the post was meant to be informative, not derogative and the wild west remark was just that...a remark. I have to admit though, I was steamed the whole way home.

ANd regarding ULL, I was wondering how good they're supposed to be. I am not really sure. I know they play us with a chip on their shoulder...a grudge...so I'm not surprised we lost. I hope we take today!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 pm I particularly like Sprout so I'm deleting this message. But the hogwash coming from multiple people in this thread is uncalled for. There are problems in this city, in any city. But the gross overstatement of danger is not helpful to anyone.
Sounds like you need a beer
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:39 pm
Sounds like you need a beer
Don't we all? Just make sure it's not an IPA and I'm totally wide open. :mrgreen:
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

Back to tickets and beer, the Pelicans are expanding to 2700 this week, with the goal of getting over 4000 at the Smoothie King Center. It's not clear if the Pelicans operate under a special, double secret exemption since SKC is LSED facility. This would seem to point more tickets being available at Turchin.

On beer, her Mayor's New Modified Improved Reimagined Phase 2.28 bans alcohol sales at indoor sporting events. Currently there are no alcohol sales at Pelicans games. Obviously, however, baseball is not played indoors at Turchin. There is a chance this would then default to the State Fire Marshal's latest order (which one is that?) which restricts attendance at outdoor events to 4% of capacity (why 4%, who knows?; also, see generally, what the hell is going on at SKC?) and does not allow alcohol sales in parishes where the governor's (remember that guy? He hates to be forgotten) order states that bars (but not bars with conditional restaurant permits, but the Mayor can restrict those permits at her whim) can allow indoor service if "positivity rates" in the parish are below 5% (of what?). Of course, Ms. Dr. Avegno says that in Orleans the acceptable number of positive case is 50 total, because, you know, 50.

All to say I would understand if Tulane just said f'it, we're losing money on this damn game anyway, so why bother? Fewer concessions, police, staff workers to pay - - they're getting checks in the mail anyway.

Plus, your car is going to get stolen, so just stay home, give your $6 to ESPN, enjoy Allegreta's monologues on UL baseball, and pop open a Coors Light or whatever the Rouses has on sale.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Are the games fully staffed or bare bones?