Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Locked
Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8067
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by Baywave1 »

This is all conjecture but Tulane has coin to hire any cusa/sunbelt/Mac and probably MWC coach it might want. That list easily includes hall. Have no idea if he would accept if offered
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 pm This is all conjecture but Tulane has coin to hire any cusa/sunbelt/Mac and probably MWC coach it might want. That list easily includes hall. Have no idea if he would accept if offered
I disagree. We might have the ability to pay a little more, but not enough to lure coaches from those conferences across the board. The top half of coaches in the MWC make over 1 million. Napier at ULL is making over 1 mil. Chadwell at CCU is making only $850 k. Seth Littrell is making 1.4 m at North Texas. Hall's salary is only $800k. We could offer a pay bump to most of those coaches, but unless we are looking to pay 2.5 million+ to our next coach, I don't think you can really say we have the coin to hire anybody we want from the other conferences.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7965
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by gerryb323 »

The Athletic reporting Goff to KU
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8067
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:55 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 pm This is all conjecture but Tulane has coin to hire any cusa/sunbelt/Mac and probably MWC coach it might want. That list easily includes hall. Have no idea if he would accept if offered
I disagree. We might have the ability to pay a little more, but not enough to lure coaches from those conferences across the board. The top half of coaches in the MWC make over 1 million. Napier at ULL is making over 1 mil. Chadwell at CCU is making only $850 k. Seth Littrell is making 1.4 m at North Texas. Hall's salary is only $800k. We could offer a pay bump to most of those coaches, but unless we are looking to pay 2.5 million+ to our next coach, I don't think you can really say we have the coin to hire anybody we want from the other conferences.
Well if Fritz goes with Goff, we'll see. Meanwhile Dannen likes hiring experienced head coaches* and if you made me go to the sports book, I would take Tulane hiring an existing FBS HC in a second. Since that field almost definitely doesn't include a P5, we are left with the G5. I guess I just have more confidence in Dannen carrying on successfully with his existing style. I hope this hypothesis is not tested again soon for football and Fritz stays.

*To date Dannen's "major" hires are Fritz, Dunleavy, Barnes, Hunter and Jewett. Of the first four, two were existing G5 HCs, one was a former successful HC at a P5 school and one was a longtime NBA HC with some success on the resume. Jewett was the number one assistant at a perennial Top 10 school and former NCAA champ with a Tulane-like profile. All this tells me if Dannen wants a current G5 HC to coach football at Tulane, he will land him.
User avatar
MNAlum
Coach Level
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Upriver in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by MNAlum »

Would Napier be a possibility?
GSx
Emerald Circle
Posts: 18724
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by GSx »

MNAlum wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm Would Napier be a possibility?
No
We can give most of these sunbelt/C-usa coaches a big raise, but we're an intermediate, and perhaps unnecessary step for the most accomplished of them to get their chance at a "national championship" type of job.
Someone like Hall would be gettable in most circumstances; except he's in Miss and he's a Miss guy, so I wouldn't count on him.
User avatar
long green
Cornerstone
Posts: 26800
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by long green »

I'd call Napier's agent if it came to it. The SEC job he'd like won't come round to him for another few years. I'd expect a no but that shouldn't stop you. I'd also call Leipold, Sean Lewis, and Tom Herman.

The fun/scary thing is that Troy Dannen and the board likely already know if they need a coach. Hell, if they do they've probably been calling agents all day.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We have no shot at Napier. We could call for sure, but he has turned down SEC jobs because he is waiting for Alabama or a similar position to open. He wouldn't take South Carolina or Mississppi St. because he wants to win big, not just get paid.

Bay, I tend to agree we would pursue a sitting HC and I think we would have a very good shot at landing one, I just don't think we have the money or prestige to just pluck anybody from the rest of the G5. It was the sweeping nature of your statement I disagree with, not the intent.

Leopold or Lewis would be amazing gets. We might think about Chadwell too.
User avatar
Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3872
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by Poseidon »

Just a humble opinion, but i think Kansas has a better shot at CWF at the end of this upcoming season. I hope Frtiz tells them "hey why dont yall do the right thing and not turn your staff plus everyone elses over in the middle of ghe year, wait until december 21"

We are nearly half way to next season, see course with their current staff through the year and go from there. Remembet they just lost miles, their entire staff is in place. They have an interum guy and they can give him time.

I am not saying this just in hopes of keeping CWF indefinitely. The timing is just wrong. Anyone else think waiting until december benefits all involved: KU, ku's current players and staff, CWF, Tulane, Tulane players and coaches.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
User avatar
long green
Cornerstone
Posts: 26800
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by long green »

As I said, I'd expect him to say no. But the odds of him making it to Alabama or Georgia direct from ULL are longer than us landing him. He missed his bus this offseason. The next good opening close to the ones he missed this time wont be in the SEC.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:02 pm As I said, I'd expect him to say no. But the odds of him making it to Alabama or Georgia direct from ULL are longer than us landing him. He missed his bus this offseason. The next good opening close to the ones he missed this time wont be in the SEC.
You think the odds are that long? I agree those jobs don't look to be open soon (I might include Texas, ou, and A&M aw possibilities too). But I also think he's got it humming at ULL and they love him there so he can bide his time. We definitely should call I just don't hold out much hope.
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:59 pm Just a humble opinion, but i think Kansas has a better shot at CWF at the end of this upcoming season. I hope Frtiz tells them "hey why dont yall do the right thing and not turn your staff plus everyone elses over in the middle of ghe year, wait until december 21"

We are nearly half way to next season, see course with their current staff through the year and go from there. Remembet they just lost miles, their entire staff is in place. They have an interum guy and they can give him time.

I am not saying this just in hopes of keeping CWF indefinitely. The timing is just wrong. Anyone else think waiting until december benefits all involved: KU, ku's current players and staff, CWF, Tulane, Tulane players and coaches.
From a programmatic stand point I agree 100%. If they can't get their top candidate they should keep the interim and reset late next fall. From a booster politics standpoint that's like punting a season and admitting defeat for a year. The same things that keep P5s like Kansas from considering the triple option (it has a decent floor but also a definite ceiling) are the same things that would push them to make a hire now.
GSx
Emerald Circle
Posts: 18724
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by GSx »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:56 pm We have no shot at Napier. We could call for sure, but he has turned down SEC jobs
I don't think he'd come here either. But re those SEC jobs, he "withdrew his name from consideration."
gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7965
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by gerryb323 »

GSx wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:18 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:56 pm We have no shot at Napier. We could call for sure, but he has turned down SEC jobs
I don't think he'd come here either. But re those SEC jobs, he "withdrew his name from consideration."
Me too
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GSx wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:18 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:56 pm We have no shot at Napier. We could call for sure, but he has turned down SEC jobs
I don't think he'd come here either. But re those SEC jobs, he "withdrew his name from consideration."
That's most definitely a save face maneuver for both parties. The SEC teams weren't officially "turned down" and the folks at ULL can believe he's their loyal guy. Semantics at its finest
ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11625
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:59 pm Just a humble opinion, but i think Kansas has a better shot at CWF at the end of this upcoming season. I hope Frtiz tells them "hey why dont yall do the right thing and not turn your staff plus everyone elses over in the middle of ghe year, wait until december 21"

We are nearly half way to next season, see course with their current staff through the year and go from there. Remembet they just lost miles, their entire staff is in place. They have an interum guy and they can give him time.

I am not saying this just in hopes of keeping CWF indefinitely. The timing is just wrong. Anyone else think waiting until december benefits all involved: KU, ku's current players and staff, CWF, Tulane, Tulane players and coaches.
If that's where he wants to be, there's no reason for him to tell them to wait. He's not going to risk us going 4-8 with blowout losses to OU and Ole Miss and now they can't/won't hire him. Strike while the iron is hot.
User avatar
noladave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8287
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:50 am
Location: new orleans, la
Contact:

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by noladave »

it’s officially official.

Kansas tweets a welcome Travis Goff message..
User avatar
murphwave
Navigator Level
Posts: 1416
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Boston / Houston / New Orleans

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by murphwave »

Do we politely ask Dannen to leave now that we know he doesn't want to be here ? Curious if we had a shortlist in mind in case he took the KU job.
BS '99
MBA 2007
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 4799
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

murphwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 pm Do we politely ask Dannen to leave now that we know he doesn't want to be here ? Curious if we had a shortlist in mind in case he took the KU job.
Uh, that's not really how this business works. Names are released in public all the time during these searches. We don't know how interested TD was, we just know Kansas was interested in him. It has been reported he interviewed, but that might have been just to get a raise from Tulane. The same might end up being true for Fritz. Tulane just isn't a destination right now. If our athletics staff is getting poached it probably means they are having some level of success, albeit relative success in the case of a smoldering Kansas athletics department.

I hope the folks that hire a new AD have a shortlist.
User avatar
Rotorooter
President's Circle
Posts: 4668
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by Rotorooter »

murphwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 pm Do we politely ask Dannen to leave now that we know he doesn't want to be here ? Curious if we had a shortlist in mind in case he took the KU job.
I don't understand the Dannen "hate" (disdain), I really don't. I know the arguments against, but is an AD ever perfect? His big bet is on bringing football back to prominence. Has it panned out? Jury is still out. It has taken longer than expected, but we are certainly a laughing stock no longer. The next football coach, when we need one, will not be our fifth choice. He quickly corrects his mistakes (I think TJ would be gone if not for a 15-2 start last season and for COVID). Honestly, why the desire to get rid of him?
Plan your work, work your plan.
washwave
Breaker Level
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: DC

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by washwave »

Agree that Dannen has been pretty open about the need for football to drive everything else and slowly but surely it has done so. You have to expect that he is going to be courted for other jobs if he has any success and that he is going to eventually go to a P5 school. You could certainly make an argument that AD's have a shelf life and get stale eventually. Rick Dickson provided stability during the "review" and during Katrina but stayed for years longer than he should have. Dannen coming in gave the program a jolt of energy that it needed.

I don't see why a school would keep an interim at this point. It not only tanks the next season but more importantly tanks recruiting for a full year since signing day is now in December. Getting someone in permanently now gets you a full recruiting year as well.
User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 21451
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Maryland Eastern Shore & sometimes Philly

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am
murphwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 pm Do we politely ask Dannen to leave now that we know he doesn't want to be here ? Curious if we had a shortlist in mind in case he took the KU job.
I don't understand the Dannen "hate" (disdain), I really don't. I know the arguments against, but is an AD ever perfect? His big bet is on bringing football back to prominence. Has it panned out? Jury is still out. It has taken longer than expected, but we are certainly a laughing stock no longer. The next football coach, when we need one, will not be our fifth choice. He quickly corrects his mistakes (I think TJ would be gone if not for a 15-2 start last season and for COVID). Honestly, why the desire to get rid of him?
Agree 100%. Tulane athletics are now professionally run. No thin skinned bureaucrat with no leadership vision and no inspirational skills. Has TD batted 1000? Certainly not. But after a wandering in the wilderness and wondering "WTF did he do this time (?)" we have an athletic organization led by a grownup.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12357
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by Yankeewave »

People dont hate TD. People were preparing mentally for if he left by reminding themselves he’s not perfect. Matural human reaction. Id guess most are happy he is staying.
GSx
Emerald Circle
Posts: 18724
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by GSx »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am
I don't understand the Dannen "hate" (disdain), I really don't. I know the arguments against, but is an AD ever perfect? His big bet is on bringing football back to prominence. Has it panned out? Jury is still out. It has taken longer than expected, but we are certainly a laughing stock no longer. The next football coach, when we need one, will not be our fifth choice. He quickly corrects his mistakes (I think TJ would be gone if not for a 15-2 start last season and for COVID). Honestly, why the desire to get rid of him?
It's not that people want him gone, it's that it's not a cataclysmic event should he leave.
He was quick to act on Dunleavy, but not so in other sports.
Has he raised any real money or improved facilities?
visualmagic
President's Circle
Posts: 3641
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by visualmagic »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am
murphwave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 pm Do we politely ask Dannen to leave now that we know he doesn't want to be here ? Curious if we had a shortlist in mind in case he took the KU job.
I don't understand the Dannen "hate" (disdain), I really don't. I know the arguments against, but is an AD ever perfect? His big bet is on bringing football back to prominence. Has it panned out? Jury is still out. It has taken longer than expected, but we are certainly a laughing stock no longer. The next football coach, when we need one, will not be our fifth choice. He quickly corrects his mistakes (I think TJ would be gone if not for a 15-2 start last season and for COVID). Honestly, why the desire to get rid of him?
I Dont hate TD but I understand the Dannen “love”
He got the football program to a place where they get 6-7 wins.

No Complaints there but I don’t think it’s an incredible feat.
Basketball he made an awful hire of Dunleavy. Jury still out on Ron Hunter but I was satisfied with that hire.
TJ wasn’t fired after 27-31, 25-33 or 32-26 against a weak schedule.
Locked