Preview from Birmingham

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Preview from Birmingham

Post by gerryb323 »

al.com link

Don't know that it's as close as they project. Basically gave us QB and receiver and we're even or behind everywhere else. I think they're underrating our linebackers and Fritz easily, and I doubt they have the advantage on both lines or at RB. I'll give them special teams and maybe secondary...
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Re: Preview from Birmingham

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:17 pm al.com link

Don't know that it's as close as they project. Basically gave us QB and receiver and we're even or behind everywhere else. I think they're underrating our linebackers and Fritz easily, and I doubt they have the advantage on both lines or at RB. I'll give them special teams and maybe secondary...
a seriously "homer" article... no way their D line or LBs are superior... don't think their OL is either

amazing how UAB was favored in all but 2 categories but the guy called the game basically a toss up
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:03 am
gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:17 pm al.com link

a seriously "homer" article... no way their D line or LBs are superior... don't think their OL is either

amazing how UAB was favored in all but 2 categories but the guy called the game basically a toss up
Our LB group has been called one of the best in the country.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

It seems he's mainly going on "seniority" of players. UAB all upperclassmen (due to so many transfers), so they must be better players. Although it seems to be working for them (cusa is a rather weak bunch of teams) can this method of 'recruiting be sustainable? I still see a Green Wave victory.
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

We should win comfortably. Should. What actually happens remains to be seen. Uab is well coached and in games where they aren’t just flat outmatched at all positions uab usually schemes well.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Tulane is a slight favorite and should win at home. If I were a dragon lord or dragon lady, I’m sure I’d be thinking this is a great spot for a mild upset like the Banks game In Birmingham.

It will be fun to return to Yulman now that football fall weather is here. It will be a nice stroll to stadium with a happier walk home.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:03 ama seriously "homer" article... no way their D line or LBs are superior... don't think their OL is either

It really is a poor article. I don't know much about the UAB team, but the author doesn't know much about the Tulane team. Maybe looked at some statistics and tried to draw conclusions. For example, here is the view of our Defense:

"Similar to UAB, the Green Wave run a lot of multiple formations and show a lot of looks to opposing quarterbacks. Unfortunately, it has not worked all too well this season as Tulane is one of the worst defenses in the nation, ranking 116th in total defense (455 ypg) and 124th in scoring defense (40.3 ppg)."

ALERT!!!

So two games against very strong opponents and a game where 115 players participated show we are one of the worst defenses in the nation.

SARCASM!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

CT Wave wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:03 ama seriously "homer" article... no way their D line or LBs are superior... don't think their OL is either

It really is a poor article. I don't know much about the UAB team, but the author doesn't know much about the Tulane team. Maybe looked at some statistics and tried to draw conclusions. For example, here is the view of our Defense:

"Similar to UAB, the Green Wave run a lot of multiple formations and show a lot of looks to opposing quarterbacks. Unfortunately, it has not worked all too well this season as Tulane is one of the worst defenses in the nation, ranking 116th in total defense (455 ypg) and 124th in scoring defense (40.3 ppg)."

ALERT!!!

So two games against very strong opponents and a game where 115 players participated show we are one of the worst defenses in the nation.

SARCASM!
Same thought I had. We’ve played a Heisman caliber QB lead top 10 team and previously #2 Oklahoma. The Morgan St game, as you mentioned was with scout team defenders in the 4th qtr
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

Marathon Wave
Coach Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

I know it doesn't quite work this way, but if this column had been written prior to MS game, what would our ypg ave be? (707 kinda skews stats)
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Anyone want to revise their opinion?
Approved by Experts
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

OGSB wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:47 pm Anyone want to revise their opinion?
yeah.. the guy gave us way too much credit
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:05 pm
yeah.. the guy gave us way too much credit
Our OL couldn’t block most high schools. I had concerns after the Morgan st game and they proved it tonight. Claybrook is awful and the rest of the line isn’t much better.

We were fooled by playing close against a team that was sleepwalking and beating a team that wouldn’t win the Louisiana High School championship. Maybe Ole Miss isn’t as good as we thought.
Tulane Greenbackers

CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Nope, the article was worthless.

Now about our team, maybe so. I think what we saw on Saturday night is sadly what we have. May they prove me wrong.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight