No snark nor sarcasm. How we gonna win tonight?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

No snark nor sarcasm. How we gonna win tonight?

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Cougs are only a TD favorite so dispassionate professionals don’t view a Wave win as being an impossible reach. So how can Tulane do it and show why Vegas thinks this team is better than many around here?

For example because of Tulane defense issues, Tulane to win may need five or more TDs. I would start by taking the ball. Simply possessions matter. I know deferring if you win the coin toss is the standard decision here but put your offense on the field now. I would try to establish run game and yes I might play little or no tempo. (Tempo is different from no huddle.)

We need to change performance to have different results? You’re the coach. How to do it?

Save the “We underachieve” comments and it won’t matter for the other 100 threads available. Just how do we break out of this slump now and no no juju is available.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: No snark nor sarcasm. How we gonna win tonight?

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

We need to get a couple of turnovers and try to get a lead on offense early. Houston is playing better defense this year so falling behind early like we've done in almost every game will doom us. Yeah I know we got up early and had 5 turnovers last year before crapping it away, but it's all I got.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

honestly, if our defense can play to the talent level I believe we have, we can win

Need to pressure Tune into making mistakes... don't have to be turnovers, but bad passes, drive killers that start to frustrate their offense

offensively, we have to run the ball... if we can rush for over 200 yards tonight, we can win
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:20 am honestly, if our defense can play to the talent level I believe we have, we can win

Need to pressure Tune into making mistakes... don't have to be turnovers, but bad passes, drive killers that start to frustrate their offense

offensively, we have to run the ball... if we can rush for over 200 yards tonight, we can win
After what we’ve seen this season Tune won’t have to throw much and we couldn’t run for 200 on Morgan St., no reason to think we can do it on a college team.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

As I asked take the snark elsewhere and let’s just save this corner for planning to win.

So you doubt running or pressuring Tune works. Fair assessment. What do you then do?

I think Outlaw is into something with turnovers.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Definitely have to force turnovers and score, score, score. Can't beat ourselves with bad penalties or mistakes.
waverider
Cornerstone

Tom Fornelli’s tip of the day is to take the under 60.5. If we can keep the score low then I think we have a chance. However, losing 56-3 would still be the under.

Going into their game last week Houston was only allowing 23% conversions on 3rd down. Tulsa wasn’t too good so that average is probably still around that. If we want to win, we will need to extend drives and not expect our defense to be on the field for 20 minutes in the first half.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Both lines are going to have to step up their play in major ways. Pratt needs time and backs need a hole. We have to stuff the run and get after the QB. He throws a lot of picks. Pressure him.
We deserve so much better
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

Rush five or six every down. Every down. If ball carriers get jnto the secondary, we're doomed anyway.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

Houston has been a bit of a paper tiger. Offensive output is misleading.

Which could mean in classic Tulane fashion we are the team they really get right against...
waverider wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:27 am Tom Fornelli’s tip of the day is to take the under 60.5. If we can keep the score low then I think we have a chance. However, losing 56-3 would still be the under.
Tulane games are 17-13 to the over since the start of 2019 (commonly accepted as the time when we stopped having a good pass defense) and 4-1 to the over in 2021. Be careful with ever betting that Tulane games won't be exciting
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

The cover 3 podcast, had bud Elliott and chip Patterson locking up Tulane +7. They think Houston is a little fraudulent and we aren't as bad as we've shown. They even said Tulane moneyline was a decent play.

What I wouldn't give for them to be right on the moneyline bit
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by beantownwave »

No snark or sarcasm. We can’t.
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by beantownwave »

Can't and didn't.
waverider
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:27 am Tom Fornelli’s tip of the day is to take the under 60.5. If we can keep the score low then I think we have a chance. However, losing 56-3 would still be the under.
The responses to this tweet last night were a lot of people mad over the garbage time TD against our 9 man front.
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:16 am
The responses to this tweet last night were a lot of people mad over the garbage time TD against our 9 man front.
It also depended a lot on when you bet. You could've gotten under 64 on Sunday which would've cashed. If you waited until midweek you picked a loser going under. That's why those line moves matter