8 Remaining AAC teams get same tv money...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

8 Remaining AAC teams get same tv money...

Unread post by Poseidon »

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aa ... 5069.html

Per the article the 8 remaining teams will get the same they get now(7 million) and continure the contract as normal
to 2032. The new schools will get 2 mil to start increasing up to 3.5.

So moving forward...

Tulane will have to deal with Rice/UTSA instead of Houston, UAB/UNT instead of Cincinnati, and FAU/Charlotte instead of UCF. All while Tulane gets the same amount of money which is twice that of the replacements. AAC will still have the same bowl contracts. ESPN's AAC will also be the darling of the g5s in the ESPN expanded playoff as they have the most money invested in the AAC out of the g5s.

The only reson to be in an uproar about these additons is you specifically just dont like the schools.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: 8 Remaining AAC teams get same tv money...

Unread post by WaveProf »

Poseidon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pm https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aa ... 5069.html

The only reson to be in an uproar about these additons is you specifically just dont like the schools.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

It’s not that people don’t like those schools, they don’t like what their addition is going to do to the perception of the conference.

We are in jeopardy of getting the Tuesday/Wednesday games instead of Thursday.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 pm It’s not that people don’t like those schools, they don’t like what their addition is going to do to the perception of the conference.

We are in jeopardy of getting the Tuesday/Wednesday games instead of Thursday.
Are we? Why? Did ESPN change the contract? Did they sign on a new conference to fill the Thursday and saturday time slots?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's pretty obvious from these moves that ESPN can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they don't like the contract, they'll find a reason to change it. Meanwhile, the money might be the same for now, but recruiting will take a hit and the other solid programs in the league will still be angling for greener pastures. Spin all you like, it's not a good thing.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 pm
Poseidon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pm https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aa ... 5069.html

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ok maybe not only reason. Yes, I am pumping some sunshine in here. Seriously, we have reasons to be on the edge. The main one would be if CWF doesnt make a change at DC and a couple of other coching spots in about a month in a half or less. However, the conference set up as O have outlined above is not one of them.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

Poseidon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pmThe only reson to be in an uproar about these additons is you specifically just dont like the schools.
your terms are agreeable. I do not like these schools.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:38 pm It's pretty obvious from these moves that ESPN can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they don't like the contract, they'll find a reason to change it. Meanwhile, the money might be the same for now, but recruiting will take a hit and the other solid programs in the league will still be angling for greener pastures. Spin all you like, it's not a good thing.
Yes, the other programs in the league will being angling for big 12, but how is that any differnt from any point since we got into the AAC?

I am curious why we are going to take a hit in recruiting? All these schools are in good recruiting areas. We can now promise Texas kids we will be playing in texas twice a year. We will still be playing in florida 2 of 3 years basically. Now we will be playing in NC 2 of 3 years. Are they going to come into Louisiana and steal from us. As tjtltja laments we arent doing so hort here anyway.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Per the article the 8 remaining teams will get the same they get now(7 million) and continure the contract as normal

So moving forward...

Tulane will have to deal with Rice/UTSA instead of Houston, UAB/UNT instead of Cincinnati, and FAU/Charlotte instead of UCF. All while Tulane gets the same amount of money which is twice that of the replacements. AAC will still have the same bowl contracts. ESPN's AAC will also be the darling of the g5s in the ESPN expanded playoff as they have the most money invested in the AAC out of the g5s.

As I explained in the other thread:
We’ll have a better chance to win the AAC but As for the playoff, it’s probably never going to be an automatic bid just from winning the AAC. You’ll probably have to be at worst a top 16 team in the country. Do you truly believe that this new conference improves Tulane’s chances of fielding a top 16 team in the country? The talent level in the league is going to take a big hit, so I doubt it.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

1309th WAVE wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 pm
Poseidon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pmThe only reson to be in an uproar about these additons is you specifically just dont like the schools.
your terms are agreeable. I do not like these schools.
Fair enough. I wouldnt find it agreeable if we added ULM, MTSU, or even La Tech among others. As I have said before I am ok with all but Charlotte and to a lesser degree UNT. Marshall would have been better IMO, but 4.5 put of 6 isna good acore to me.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Poseidon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:38 pm It's pretty obvious from these moves that ESPN can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they don't like the contract, they'll find a reason to change it. Meanwhile, the money might be the same for now, but recruiting will take a hit and the other solid programs in the league will still be angling for greener pastures. Spin all you like, it's not a good thing.
Yes, the other programs in the league will being angling for big 12, but how is that any differnt from any point since we got into the AAC?

I am curious why we are going to take a hit in recruiting? All these schools are in good recruiting areas. We can now promise Texas kids we will be playing in texas twice a year. We will still be playing in florida 2 of 3 years basically. Now we will be playing in NC 2 of 3 years. Are they going to come into Louisiana and steal from us. As tjtltja laments we arent doing so hort here anyway.
Recruiting will take a hit because players presumably liked coming in to the AAC with a chance to compete against at times top 10 teams like Cincinnati and UCF. Having conference mates in Florida and Texas hasn’t really done much for our recruiting in those areas in the past, why would that change by adding Rice,UNT and FAU?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:56 pm

So moving forward...

As I explained in the other thread:
We’ll have a better chance to win the AAC but As for the playoff, it’s probably never going to be an automatic bid just from winning the AAC. You’ll probably have to be at worst a top 16 team in the country. Do you truly believe that this new conference improves Tulane’s chances of fielding a top 16 team in the country? The talent level in the league is going to take a big hit, so I doubt it.
Your right the AAC wont get an autobid. There will be an autobid for the highest G5 school. I still say the AAC will be the frontrunner for that every year. The MWC will be right behind. The deal breaker is ESPN will be pumping up its AAC property for its ESPN owned playoff. The SBC has surged, but ULL will lose Napier and CCU will lose its coach. Once they regress by then and undesfeated APP STATE won't have much of a leg to stand on schedule wise.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Recruiting will take a hit because players presumably liked coming in to the AAC with a chance to compete against at times top 10 teams like Cincinnati and UCF. Having conference mates in Florida and Texas hasn’t really done much for our recruiting in those areas in the past, why would that change by adding Rice,UNT and FAU?
Exactly. Having the money is great, but what has it done for us? Some of the teams coming in are already recruiting better, have better facilities and win more than us and they are about to get a bump in pay.

“Come to Tulane and you will get to face powerhouse North Texas” is not a great sell.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Its really hard to prove your wrong or right. Im pretty sure Pratt is pumped about the idea of maybe playing a game in his back yard befor he finishes. Heck we have two commits from FAU's back yard right now.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Exactly. Having the money is great, but what has it done for us? Some of the teams coming in are already recruiting better, have better facilities and win more than us and they are about to get a bump in pay.

“Come to Tulane and you will get to face powerhouse North Texas” is not a great sell.
WR, we didn't just lose Texas and OU, we lost Hosuton, UC, and UCF. Are you possibly overselling those teams stature. UCF and their NC were roundly mocked. Houston has never been a powerhouse, and UC has been a name for what two years? I am not saying this is better, but its not much different and people on here are talkign about quiting and dropping the program etc. I know a lot of it is tongue in cheek, but its there is a bit of unwarrented hysteria. I have said since these are weaker teams Tulane is in better shape to win beacuse this is a zero sum game.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Why did we start a new thread on the same topic by the same person (Thamel) as the existing thread?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:50 pm Why did we start a new thread on the same topic by the same person (Thamel) as the existing thread?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

I have nothing against any of those schools. I would be fine if they added any two of those schools.
I also don’t care about is a few million a year to school with an endowment nearly 2 billion
I do care about the quality of the league. I do care about getting out of this league regardless of the expansion. And this expansion just makes it that much harder. The cost of this expansion is far greater than the few extra million from a TV deal for a few years.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

$$$ matter. If we didn’t have AAC bucks, Dunleavy would still coach MBB. Board would not have funded his early termination with endowment. Period.

It’s not up or out here. It’s as long as Tulane gets paid, stay until we go up

AAC as P6 May be gone but not AAC as best of G5.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

The money is still paltry compared to what the P5's get and that's the main point hat has people upset. We missed our chance to go to the Big 12 and we aren't even on it's radar because of the incompetence and lack of commitment. We will no longer be in the 6th best conference. The MWC will be ahead of as well as the SBC in some years. The viewership of the greatly weakened AAC will drop significantly and ESPN will come back and take away that money at some point. Tulane had an extremely small following and once the moves are made it will be even smaller. There's just no interest in these matchups. None. At least we had some respect from others due to being in the recognized best of the G5 but now that will be gone. Recruiting will drop off due to not having a strong conference to recruit to anymore. The current players are hard enough to watch. Many of what is left of our fan base won't be able to stomach the even lesser caliber of players we will be getting.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

I don't understand why we assume the current G5, soon to be G4 with what seems certainly the death of CUSA after the Belt and MAC get through with the remaining teams, will certainly get access to an expanded playoff. Nothing on that is final and these landscape shifts will certainly impact that.

The proposed 12 team format, with 6 autobids for the highest ranked conference champs and 6 at large bids, could easily be tweaked. The SEC, ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 hold all the cards now. The SEC and Big Ten in particular want as many at-large spots as possible because they are likely to get 3+ schools in many years. So why wouldn't they drop the number of automatic bids down to 4? Or down to 5 to throw the B12 a bone?

The new B12 has 0 schools that have won a national title post WW2. After 2025, I guarantee you the other four power conferences will stop looking at them as equals because on and off the field they aren't equals. In other words, the P5 becomes the P4 and the G5 remains the G5 with the B12 holding the top G5 spot the AAC has the last few years. I'd love to hear somebody give me reasons why this scenario couldn't happen.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:20 am I don't understand why we assume the current G5, soon to be G4 with what seems certainly the death of CUSA after the Belt and MAC get through with the remaining teams, will certainly get access to an expanded playoff. Nothing on that is final and these landscape shifts will certainly impact that.

The proposed 12 team format, with 6 autobids for the highest ranked conference champs and 6 at large bids, could easily be tweaked. The SEC, ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 hold all the cards now. The SEC and Big Ten in particular want as many at-large spots as possible because they are likely to get 3+ schools in many years. So why wouldn't they drop the number of automatic bids down to 4? Or down to 5 to throw the B12 a bone?

The new B12 has 0 schools that have won a national title post WW2. After 2025, I guarantee you the other four power conferences will stop looking at them as equals because on and off the field they aren't equals. In other words, the P5 becomes the P4 and the G5 remains the G5 with the B12 holding the top G5 spot the AAC has the last few years. I'd love to hear somebody give me reasons why this scenario couldn't happen.
Understand your logic, but by the same logic they didn't have to give the G5 an auto-bid to the NY6 bowls. The NYC bowls(12 teams) will basically become the expanded playoff. They also stated specifically they would do it in the new playoff. So the signs point towards they will unless stated otherwise. You raise a good question about how does the OU/UT move change the expanded playoff picture. Well I don't think it will explicitly, but I bet, to your point, that the new Big 12 will not get much or any consideration for their #2 getting an at large spot. So that leaves the 6 at large spot soley to the other 4 confernces. That translates into a default of 1 at large for ACC, Big ten, and Pac 12, and 3 to the SEC given the strength of the current conferences. That will fluxuate, but its a step up from what every conference curretly gets in the playoff except for the Big 12 which got weaker.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Antitrust…antitrust…antitrust

Exclude non-P5 from expanded CFP and even I could win the suit.

On this point it may be a lean bone but P5 will throw it to G4/5 to reduce exposure like current NY6 access slot does.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

My point isn't that they won't reserve a slot for G5. My point is, the definition of G5 is changing. When the CFP contract is up, the conferences in charge, right now the P5, can change the definition of who deserves to be in charge. The SEC, B10, ACC and P12 can decide to demote the B12 in the next round of playoff discussions.

If that happens, there will only need to be 5 AQ slots, one for each autonomy conference and one for the G5, which would include the B12 in this scenario. By default they would be the favorite for the 5th AQ playoff every year, while the AAC, Sun Belt, MWC and MAC will be hoping the B12 slips up. This is what the other current G5s hope for with the AAC and NY6 slot right now. I guess you could call that access, but we went from drivers seat to sidecar in a hurry.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:25 pm My point isn't that they won't reserve a slot for G5. My point is, the definition of G5 is changing. When the CFP contract is up, the conferences in charge, right now the P5, can change the definition of who deserves to be in charge. The SEC, B10, ACC and P12 can decide to demote the B12 in the next round of playoff discussions.

If that happens, there will only need to be 5 AQ slots, one for each autonomy conference and one for the G5, which would include the B12 in this scenario. By default they would be the favorite for the 5th AQ playoff every year, while the AAC, Sun Belt, MWC and MAC will be hoping the B12 slips up. This is what the other current G5s hope for with the AAC and NY6 slot right now. I guess you could call that access, but we went from drivers seat to sidecar in a hurry.
The reason for them to go from proposed 6 AQ slots to 5 (cut out all the smaller conferences) would be the same thing that would cause them to lose the antitrust suit. It would be even worse since they're on record with the proposal for 6 and would have to justify that change for some reason in court.