SMU wins 55-26

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

SMU wins 55-26

Post by waverider »

And nobody outside of the athletic department at Tulane even cares.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Re: SMU wins 55-29

Post by Man in Green »

Another stellar coaching job by Willie and the boys.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: SMU wins 55-26

Post by tjtlja »

Administration is pleasantly surprised with effort.

They still cashed in as they all laid the most laughable line of the year.

At least UL won tonight.

On a serious note, why are we playing football at all. Just doesn’t make any sense. No commitment, no management, no support, no third party funding, no nothing. Just a miserable product to watch.
Last edited by tjtlja on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Post by Radio Wave »

For those of us out of state please let us know Pratt's status. It was a rough game from any angle. Tulane has to start over on defense.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 pm

At least UL won tonight.
I didn’t realize Louisville was playing. FAU played Charlotte and ULL played Arkansas St who, believe it or not, is actually worse than us on defense.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Radio Wave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 pm For those of us out of state please let us know Pratt's status. It was a rough game from any angle. Tulane has to start over on defense.
There’s no point in playing him next week. I doubt we will get much info this week about him.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

waverider wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:15 pm
tjtlja wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 pm

At least UL won tonight.
I didn’t realize Louisville was playing. FAU played Charlotte and ULL played Arkansas St who, believe it or not, is actually worse than us on defense.
No, I don’t believe it.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

so, of the past 4 coaches, this season compares to the worst of Toledo, Scelfo, CJ??? Yes or no.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

Where the heck is Ibieta? Fritz was touting how good he would be and he is hurt all season without even playing really,
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

noladave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 pm so, of the past 4 coaches, this season compares to the worst of Toledo, Scelfo, CJ??? Yes or no.
The absolute worst. Dannen should fire Fritz. There I said it. We need a young coach with aggression
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

noladave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 pm so, of the past 4 coaches, this season compares to the worst of Toledo, Scelfo, CJ??? Yes or no.
I still don't think so. Worst defense since 2011 but this offense is still better than ever Toledo/CJ one. We'll see if I change my mind on this after the bloodbath next week.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I think it is worst. I think the biggest difference is we have no defense and you know we are going to give up 40+ points and 500+ yards. It is such a hopeless feeling from the first drive. Between coaching, player IQ, on field communication, and lack of athletic ability, it is so miserable to watch. Have we ever had a worst defense?

CJ definitely had more quality players. Some great players. Just no depth, and the coaching was so bad.

And how did Fritz let it get to this point? The product is awful. My only answer is the lack of impact LA players. In state recruiting has been piss poor. And this new conference will make getting players more difficult. I don’t understand why we even field a team at this point.
Last edited by tjtlja on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

This is a complete collapse of effort throughout the program. Far less talented Tulane teams than this have completed far better. This can't get walked back.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Absolutely the worst season I’ve been around given the expectations going into the year. The fact that we could play toe to toe for 4 quarters with OU tells me that we have more talent than is showing up lately.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Charlie Dunn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:26 pm Where the heck is Ibieta? Fritz was touting how good he would be and he is hurt all season without even playing really,
Torn labrum in his throwing arm
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Would Lincoln Riley’s brother (SMU OC) be interested in being HC here? We would still need to change some things internally to get a coach like that but an up and comer who still has passion to succeed. I don’t know if he’s ready for it yet.

As crazy as it sounds, I’d hope every major donor that also cares about athletics, as few as that might be, withhold donations to the academic side until institutional changes are made. Having new majors and reduced admission standards is great, but it doesn’t mean anything until the school gets behind athletics.
Last edited by waverider on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

1309th WAVE wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:36 pm
I still don't think so. Worst defense since 2011 but this offense is still better than ever Toledo/CJ one. We'll see if I change my mind on this after the bloodbath next week.
Honestly praying for a forfeit.

This is ridiculous and it just needs to be over. We do not belong and it’s crazy to me how much people are getting paid to put this product out in public and seriously ask people to hand over money to watch this.

Corey Gloor actually said that tickets for the cincy game were selling out. I mean, like how do you even have face to say something so blatantly absurd on the radio? Who are these people scrambling to buy tickets?

The espn crew were talking about everything but the game this was so out of hand tonight and next week is going to be worse.

Oy.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

DrHullabaloo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:48 pm
Corey Gloor actually said that tickets for the cincy game were selling out. I mean, like how do you even have face to say something so blatantly absurd on the radio? Who are these people scrambling to buy tickets?

Cincinnati fans? I’m sure I’ll be surrounded by them in my donation required section.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

waverider wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 pm Would Lincoln Riley’s brother (SMU OC) be interested in being HC here? We would still need to change some things internally to get a coach like that but an up and comer who still has passion to succeed. I don’t know if he’s ready for it yet.
Great suggestion. Same thing for the Briles brothers. I just don’t see Dannen doing anything. They just don’t care enough to payoff Fritz. Listening to him, I think he is burnt on Tulane.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Guys this is the worst defense we have had since McGinnis. No its the worst I have ever seen. The offense never really has a chance. We are playing catchup from the opeing 5 minutes of the game every game.

Becuae of this perhaps Pratt is pressing and playing inconsistant hero ball. He doesnt seem to be able to find people doen frield after the first 2 reads. We can talk about how tough he is, but there is a fine line between the courage he has and being foolish and I fear he has crossed it too many times.

Its appears than Long's offense is struggling, but it isnt a scheme that is built to play catchup like air it out spread schemes are.

The whole thing is weighted down like an anchor from this terrible defense. Changes need to be made. Hamptom needs to see the door. Possibly McClesky, he isn't bringing in the LA kids and DBs are the clear weakness. Young needs to go as well. Bring in a real DC and some real DB coaches that can recruit.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

Poseidon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 pm Guys this is the worst defense we have had since McGinnis. No its the worst I have ever seen. The offense never really has a chance. We are playing catchup from the opeing 5 minutes of the game every game.

Becuae of this perhaps Pratt is pressing and playing inconsistant hero ball. He doesnt seem to be able to find people doen frield after the first 2 reads. We can talk about how tough he is, but there is a fine line between the courage he has and being foolish and I fear he has crossed it too many times.

Its appears than Long's offense is struggling, but it isnt a scheme that is built to play catchup like air it out spread schemes are.

The whole thing is weighted down like an anchor from this terrible defense. Changes need to be made. Hamptom needs to see the door. Possibly McClesky, he isn't bringing in the LA kids and DBs are the clear weakness. Young needs to go as well. Bring in a real DC and some real DB coaches that can recruit.
Defense is the major and only significant problem that is costing us wins. Fix the defense and we win a lot more games
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 pm Guys this is the worst defense we have had since McGinnis. No its the worst I have ever seen. The offense never really has a chance. We are playing catchup from the opeing 5 minutes of the game every game.

Pratt can't get to his 2nd reads on most plays because the line is so bad. He's not the problem. Then you have WR drops. Then the defense is just awful. ST's let them have great field position on their kick returns.
We deserve so much better
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Please explain: we're down by 18 (31 - 13) and (38 - 19) in 3rd Q and we go for 2pt conversion (twice). WHY? Is that one extra point going to help when we've hardly stopped this team on defense?

We did (barely) win the 3rd Q: 12 - 7. So.

There's that.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

Realistically at this point in the season, we should be 3-4 assuming that we should have beaten ECU and one of Houston/ UAB and would have lost to the three ranked teams that we played. That would set up for 3-5 after next week and then a run to win 3 of 4 to make a bowl. Instead, I don't really see us winning another game with the defense that we have and Pratt looking like he could miss significant time.

You can sometimes wrap your mind around some losses if they are all close and the ball bounced the wrong way, but we really have just been blown out in most of the games. Willie Fitz did not forget how to coach football after 30 seasons. My personal uninformed opinion is that he made a mistake with the defensive coordinator hire - probably because he had to do it on the cheap given budget constraints. Our offense has no chance because they basically would have to score on every possession to keep up with a defense that literally cannot stop anyone until garbage time. This is ugly and risks undoing 4 or 5 years of steady progress that was made. Combine this with the AAC situation and it feels like 2010 again.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Marathon Wave wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:03 am Please explain: we're down by 18 (31 - 13) and (38 - 19) in 3rd Q and we go for 2pt conversion (twice). WHY? Is that one extra point going to help when we've hardly stopped this team on defense?

We did (barely) win the 3rd Q: 12 - 7. So.

There's that.
First one makes it a 2 score game. Second one makes it 17 vs 18. Analytics. To your point, when you can't stop them, it hardly matters. So, why not, I guess?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone