Ryan Wright Appreciation Thread

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Ryan Wright Appreciation Thread

Unread post by WaveProf »

Getting lost in all of this is the remarkable year this young man is having.

I hate that this talent is getting "wasted" on this season, but I suppose from a cynical perspective, we are getting to USE his talent a lot MORE because of how bad we are :angel: :angel: :angel:

Either way, hooray for Ryan Wright!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Ryan Wright Appreciation Thread

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:10 am Getting lost in all of this is the remarkable year this young man is having.

I hate that this talent is getting "wasted" on this season, but I suppose from a cynical perspective, we are getting to USE his talent a lot MORE because of how bad we are :angel: :angel: :angel:

Either way, hooray for Ryan Wright!
And he is not a bad passer to boot.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Amen. Fake last night was reasonable. Our guys need to win 50/50 balls although the contested incompletion last night was closer to 70/30.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:14 am Amen. Fake last night was reasonable. Our guys need to win 50/50 balls although the contested incompletion last night was closer to 70/30.
Yup. I'd put it at higher than 70/30. Fake last night was well executed and well designed. Original play design and showed faith in the Punter as QB. Ball was delivered mostly on target to a mostly open TE, that's what Wright's job was and what the job of the play design is. If a TE can't catch the ball in that situation......
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

He’s a 50% passer on the season and I agree, should be 2/2. I thought the play design was great last night but it took long to get the snap and SMU had time to figure out what was going on.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:19 pm I thought the play design was great last night but it took long to get the snap and SMU had time to figure out what was going on.
That's what I found so unique about that playcall, I don't think it was supposed to be a surprise sneak. It didn't matter that they knew what was going on, it dared them to take a time out, and when they didn't, set up an unsure defense not knowing their coverage plan and got the matchup (tall TE) they wanted. In the end he was mostly open, so it worked like a charm.

It's just another case of dropped passes, a plague on this season.
waverider
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 pm
waverider wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:19 pm I thought the play design was great last night but it took long to get the snap and SMU had time to figure out what was going on.
That's what I found so unique about that playcall, I don't think it was supposed to be a surprise sneak. It didn't matter that they knew what was going on, it dared them to take a time out, and when they didn't, set up an unsure defense not knowing their coverage plan and got the matchup (tall TE) they wanted. In the end he was mostly open, so it worked like a charm.

It's just another case of dropped passes, a plague on this season.
I agree. It was a catchable ball and a TD that changes the complexion of the game.

Ironically, as I think the commentators pointed out, the guy that “broke up” the pass was not called for targeting earlier on the drive.
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

The one bright spot on an otherwise disastrous season.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

I think if the throw had been made just a half-second earlier, it would have been much easier to catch/score. He was totally wide open for a second there. Oh well, still should have been caught. We just couldn't catch a break last night.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Charlie Dunn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:19 pmWe just couldn't catch a break pass last night the last two seasons.
Fixed that for ya.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 pm
Charlie Dunn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:19 pmWe just couldn't catch a break pass last night the last two seasons.
Fixed that for ya.
If you can’t catch a pass you won’t catch a break.
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

GretnaGrn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 pm The one bright spot on an otherwise disastrous season.
It’s never a good thing when your punter is the lone bright spot.

Recovering 3 onside kicks is a pretty good accomplishment too.
Tulane Greenbackers

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 pm The one bright spot on an otherwise disastrous season.
It’s never a good thing when your punter is the lone bright spot.

Recovering 3 onside kicks is a pretty good accomplishment too.
Yes, whoever is in charge of our onside kicks should be given more responsibility. It took a great play by the Ole Miss guy to keep that from being 4 that we recovered.
waverider
Cornerstone

Wright was named a finalist for the Ray Guy award. Of the 10 finalists, he’s the only G5 punter.
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Wright is having a great year but I doubt he beats Araiza from SDSU (another G5 school) who is having a fabulous season
waverider
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 pm Wright is having a great year but I doubt he beats Araiza from SDSU (another G5 school) who is having a fabulous season
After I wrote that I second guessed myself that SDSU was a G5.
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Glad you noted the recognition Wright is getting. He has earned it. He apparently does have the talent to be say the emergency QB over Daniels. But he is so valuable in his special team roles that I guess coaches don’t want to risk losing him to injury as a position player.

He has been the bright spot this year.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:24 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 pm Wright is having a great year but I doubt he beats Araiza from SDSU (another G5 school) who is having a fabulous season
After I wrote that I second guessed myself that SDSU was a G5.
Colorado State also. Wright has been great. State of the program that our punter is our "best" player right now!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:16 pm Glad you noted the recognition Wright is getting. He has earned it. He apparently does have the talent to be say the emergency QB over Daniels. But he is so valuable in his special team roles that I guess coaches don’t want to risk losing him to injury as a position player.

I don't think that makes any sense...if we had better QB play, the P would be less important! No coach would sacrifice QB play at the expense of a few extra yards per punt. That said, he's been really good this year (and was good last year).
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:16 pm Glad you noted the recognition Wright is getting. He has earned it. He apparently does have the talent to be say the emergency QB over Daniels. But he is so valuable in his special team roles that I guess coaches don’t want to risk losing him to injury as a position player.

Casey Glover kicked for him in last year's opener and did a fair job.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

ml wave wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:18 pm

I don't think that makes any sense...if we had better QB play, the P would be less important! No coach would sacrifice QB play at the expense of a few extra yards per punt. That said, he's been really good this year (and was good last year).
If it comes down to Wright or Daniels playing QB, we’re not winning that day anyway
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Good point but then some of us are old enough to remember Tom Matte.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

Wright has always been good. This year he's phenomenal. Too bad we've had to use him so much.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Wright missed out on the top 3 finalists for the Ray Guy award. According to Guerry, he met all the qualifications except “contributing to wins”.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Wright tweeted a nice thanks letter this morning and announced he'll be declaring for the NFL draft. Best of luck to him!