Merrick Glover, all time points leader

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Merrick Glover, all time points leader

Unread post by WaveProf »

:king:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: Merrick Glover, all time points leader

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

The blind hog found an acorn
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

Such an honor to be able to see the all-time points leader (Glover) and #2 Head Coach in Wins (Scelfo) in my lifetime.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
WaveProf
Cornerstone

QuarterbackU wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:10 pm Such an honor to be able to see the all-time points leader (Glover) and #2 Head Coach in Wins (Scelfo) in my lifetime.
What a glorious time to be alive :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

QuarterbackU wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:10 pm Such an honor to be able to see the all-time points leader (Glover) and #2 Head Coach in Wins (Scelfo) in my lifetime.
Go buy a powerball ticket
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

He was 31-39 (80%) his first 3 years. He's 15-25 (60%) the last two years. Overall, a respectable 46-64 (72%), but everyone will remember the last 2 years.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

FW wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 pm He was 31-39 (80%) his first 3 years. He's 15-25 (60%) the last two years. Overall, a respectable 46-64 (72%), but everyone will remember the last 2 years.
when you think of how many times we went for it on 4th down over the past 5 years because the coach didn't have any confidence in him, it makes his achievement ridiculously dubious... I don't want to denigrate a student athlete, but his name does not belong among kickers who won games for Tulane like Cairo and Seth Marler... so I guess "congrats" but put a freaking asterisk in the books.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

Not to mention Eddie Murray.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

BTW, isn’t it Merek?
Wavebacker
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavebacker »

...and a broken clock is right two times a day.
What's he had, 8 years of eligibility?
There was a time when we used to have great kickers. One after the other...then he came along...

Land of the Free...........................Home of the Wave!

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Wavebacker wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 pm One after the other...then he came along...
Actually, this is the first moment when I *will* jump in and defend him. About the only one.

The historiography is a bit more complex.

We had great kickers "one after the other" until Santos graduated. Then we were a COMPLETE disaster at kicker the rest of Curtis Johnson's tenure. Scared to even try it. Not just misses, blocks.

Then, Merrick Glover, as an underclassman, offered a consistency we desperately needed, even though he didn't have the range we wanted. He wasn't the answer, but he fixed a gaping problem. It was a sigh of relief (allbeit not a deep one)

Over his (what feels like 20 years of) eligibility his range increased dramatically, but his accuracy and consistency and head all failed on him, and we regressed at kicking field goals........but we are STILL better than where we were the 2 years post Santos.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

No, we are not better off. We were, heading into this year, but this year's performance changed that status. Merek worked very hard but now he's a basket case.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

He never had a "big" leg. I think his career long is 44, but he nailed it in what was a close game in front of 80,000 people at Auburn. It's mental with now, but he doesn't deserve to be bashed.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

We can disagree about his leg strength. I think we all agree his inconsistency has nothing to do with his leg strength.

I wish him well but I’m surprised that Fritz still plays him. WF constantly proclaims that how you play controls how much you play. The natural conclusion then must be Fritz thinks the cupboard is bare other than Merek. That is not encouraging for 2022.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:12 am
Wavebacker wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 pm One after the other...then he came along...
We had great kickers "one after the other" until Santos graduated. Then we were a COMPLETE disaster at kicker the rest of Curtis Johnson's tenure. Scared to even try it. Not just misses, blocks.
Other than Marler and Santos, we haven’t really had any other good kickers in the 25ish years that I’ve been watching
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Man in Green »

visualmagic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:04 pm
Other than Marler and Santos, we haven’t really had any other good kickers in the 25ish years that I’ve been watching
Eddie Murray, Tony Wood, Brad Palazzo, Vince Minalla…I probably misspelled a couple of those, were all great, or at least reliable.
Kicking is 80% mental, the other half is physical. I used to be a kicker so i have a little first hand knowledge.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Man in Green wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm
Eddie Murray, Tony Wood, Brad Palazzo, Vince Minalla…I probably misspelled a couple of those, were all great, or at least reliable.
Kicking is 80% mental, the other half is physical. I used to be a kicker so i have a little first hand knowledge.
Eddie Murray and Tony Wood are not in the 25ish years that I’ve been watching.
Statistically, Palazzo wasn’t anything special. Hit (50/68) 73.5%
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Palazzo fits in the 25 plus year window.. we also had a decent kicker for a few years who came in as a 5 star recruit... struggled early and ended up being OK.. forget his name. I have said this in another thread... other D1 schools have successfully mined the transfer portal for 1AA guys who have a couple of years of experience and can make kicks... we should do the same.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:36 pm We can disagree about his leg strength. I think we all agree his inconsistency has nothing to do with his leg strength.

I wish him well but I’m surprised that Fritz still plays him. WF constantly proclaims that how you play controls how much you play. The natural conclusion then must be Fritz thinks the cupboard is bare other than Merek. That is not encouraging for 2022.
Bingo. The cupboard is that bare behind him. That is very worrisome.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:06 pm
Palazzo fits in the 25 plus year window.. we also had a decent kicker for a few years who came in as a 5 star recruit... struggled early and ended up being OK.. forget his name. I have said this in another thread... other D1 schools have successfully mined the transfer portal for 1AA guys who have a couple of years of experience and can make kicks... we should do the same.
Bingo. That is where we should be looking.
We deserve so much better
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:04 pm
Palazzo was very good. Those misses must have come early in his career because Bowden wouldn’t have put up with a kicker missing that many kicks, unlike a certain coach. I recall him being a steady and reliable kicker his last 2 years.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Man in Green wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:52 pm
Palazzo was very good. Those misses must have come early in his career because Bowden wouldn’t have put up with a kicker missing that many kicks, unlike a certain coach. I recall him being a steady and reliable kicker his last 2 years.
Nope. Palazzo was 9/17 in 1998
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:19 pm
Man in Green wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:52 pm
Nope. Palazzo was 9/17 in 1998
Well, we went 12-0 so he wasn’t really needed.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:36 pm We can disagree about his leg strength. I think we all agree his inconsistency has nothing to do with his leg strength.

It doesn't take an expert here, anyone watching the Ks warmup would come to that conclusion. Hopefully they'll improve over the offseason and/or we bring in stiffer competition.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Good news! His brother Casey was awarded a scholarship today so our kicking will be Glovered the next few years :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson