Merrick Glover, all time points leader

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Re: Merrick Glover, all time points leader

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

waverider wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:52 pm Good news! His brother Casey was awarded a scholarship today so our kicking will be Glovered the next few years :lol:
His family must have compromising photos of Coach.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

If he’s better than Merek, he should be kicking the field goals. If he’s not better than Merek, he shouldn’t be getting a scholarship
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Man in Green »

Who was the kid kicking 60 yd FG's at Yulman? He was making them one after another. I think it was on Twitter. That kid needs to be on scholarship.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 pm If he’s better than Merek, he should be kicking the field goals. If he’s not better than Merek, he shouldn’t be getting a scholarship
Maybe he got it for his kickoffs alone. I was going to ask if recovering 4 onside kicks in a season warrants a scholarship but I think it would be hard to find a kicker that has done that in his career much less one season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Man in Green wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:53 pm Who was the kid kicking 60 yd FG's at Yulman? He was making them one after another. I think it was on Twitter. That kid needs to be on scholarship.
One was a former Rummel kid. He burned his eligibility at Samford before kicking in the NFL, XFL, and I think another league professionally. The other was Garrett Hartley who played for the Saints.
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

For those questioning if it makes sense to try someone (anyone?) else than Merek Glover against Memphis, I think of CJ finally playing a 4th string QB against Tulsa in 2015.

Jordy Joseph had ridden the pine for his entire career at Tulane. When given a chance to play literally out of late season desperation, he performed capably. He wasn’t a hero as Tulane lost late in 4th quarter but he gave Tulane a solid chance to win after others more talented than him had failed throughout the season

Maybe if Fritz gives one of the backup kickers a similar opportunity that guy will surprise us just as Joseph did six years ago.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

He threw two pick sixes to cost us the game.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

If we thought we had a better answer at kicker wouldn't they already have gotten a shot? Glover has the record now and we clearly don't have a better option. We have one chance left to win a game this year and in doing so we could mess up a conference rival's season. 3-9 sucks but it's better than 2-10. No reason not to let him finish out his career.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

We didn’t have a chance without him. He played very well for the first 55 minutes. He didn’t have anything to do with Tulane’s other eight losses which “cost” Johnson his job.

It’s Thanksgiving. If Tulane makes you so unhappy that your first keyboard impulse is to slam a walk-on who played creditably after finally being given a chance after years of not playing, why do you put yourself through such torture?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Someone else should get a chance because Fritz’s policy is how you play determines how much you play. I wish Glover well and congratulate him on the record. However in his five years at Tulane he has never made a game winning kick but regrettably has missed at least three if not more.

Maybe one of the backups could do better under pressure.
waverider
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:33 am Someone else should get a chance because Fritz’s policy is how you play determines how much you play. I wish Glover well and congratulate him on the record. However in his five years at Tulane he has never made a game winning kick but regrettably has missed at least three if not more.

After he blew the Tulsa game he would have been benched (would have been long before that) if there was someone better.

Maybe our next guy will have kicked in HS before coming here.
Last edited by waverider on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:53 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 pm If he’s better than Merek, he should be kicking the field goals. If he’s not better than Merek, he shouldn’t be getting a scholarship
Maybe he got it for his kickoffs alone. I was going to ask if recovering 4 onside kicks in a season warrants a scholarship but I think it would be hard to find a kicker that has done that in his career much less one season.
He should definitely get it for the onside kicks alone. Also, I believe he's a P not a K.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:33 am Someone else should get a chance because Fritz’s policy is how you play determines how much you play. I wish Glover well and congratulate him on the record. However in his five years at Tulane he has never made a game winning kick but regrettably has missed at least three if not more.

If they can't do it in warmups with no pressure, there's no reason to believe they can do it in games under pressure.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 am It’s Thanksgiving. If Tulane makes you so unhappy that your first keyboard impulse is to slam a walk-on who played creditably after finally being given a chance after years of not playing, why do you put yourself through such torture?
It had nothing to do with slamming a walk-on and everything to do with telling someone on the board they were wrong in how they viewed something. The topic on which they were wrong doesn't even cross his mind.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 am We didn’t have a chance without him. He played very well for the first 55 minutes. He didn’t have anything to do with Tulane’s other eight losses which “cost” Johnson his job.

It’s Thanksgiving. If Tulane makes you so unhappy that your first keyboard impulse is to slam a walk-on who played creditably after finally being given a chance after years of not playing, why do you put yourself through such torture?
I just believe in giving the full picture. I appreciated Jordy's devotion to the program but his performance has been overstated. If you that thin skinned why do you go on the internet.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:51 am
Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:27 am It’s Thanksgiving. If Tulane makes you so unhappy that your first keyboard impulse is to slam a walk-on who played creditably after finally being given a chance after years of not playing, why do you put yourself through such torture?
It had nothing to do with slamming a walk-on and everything to do with telling someone on the board they were wrong in how they viewed something. The topic on which they were wrong doesn't even cross his mind.
The topic did cross my mind. It wasn’t about telling him he was wrong on how he viewed it it was about the fact that he didn’t tell the whole story. The topic doesn't change the facts of the situation . Plus that example has gotten trotted out a lot and always leaves that part out. The game is 60 minutes long not 55.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

visualmagic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:19 pm
Man in Green wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:52 pm
visualmagic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:04 pm
Man in Green wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm
visualmagic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:04 pm
WaveProf wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:12 am
Wavebacker wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 pm One after the other...then he came along...
We had great kickers "one after the other" until Santos graduated. Then we were a COMPLETE disaster at kicker the rest of Curtis Johnson's tenure. Scared to even try it. Not just misses, blocks.
Other than Marler and Santos, we haven’t really had any other good kickers in the 25ish years that I’ve been watching
Eddie Murray, Tony Wood, Brad Palazzo, Vince Minalla…I probably misspelled a couple of those, were all great, or at least reliable.
Kicking is 80% mental, the other half is physical. I used to be a kicker so i have a little first hand knowledge.
Eddie Murray and Tony Wood are not in the 25ish years that I’ve been watching.
Statistically, Palazzo wasn’t anything special. Hit (50/68) 73.5%
Palazzo was very good. Those misses must have come early in his career because Bowden wouldn’t have put up with a kicker missing that many kicks, unlike a certain coach. I recall him being a steady and reliable kicker his last 2 years.
Nope. Palazzo was 9/17 in 1998
6/8 in 1995
12/15 in 1996
23/28 in 1997
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

FW wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:30 pm
Wavebacker wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:44 pm One after the other...then he came along...
We had great kickers "one after the other" until Santos graduated. Then we were a COMPLETE disaster at kicker the rest of Curtis Johnson's tenure. Scared to even try it. Not just misses, blocks.
Other than Marler and Santos, we haven’t really had any other good kickers in the 25ish years that I’ve been watching
Eddie Murray, Tony Wood, Brad Palazzo, Vince Minalla…I probably misspelled a couple of those, were all great, or at least reliable.
Kicking is 80% mental, the other half is physical. I used to be a kicker so i have a little first hand knowledge.
Palazzo was very good. Those misses must have come early in his career because Bowden wouldn’t have put up with a kicker missing that many kicks, unlike a certain coach. I recall him being a steady and reliable kicker his last 2 years.
6/8 in 1995
12/15 in 1996
23/28 in 1997
Not to mention that the "bad" percentage quoted was the career high percentage at Tulane until Cairo! That '98 offense had to skew the percentages a little. I'd wonder what the situations were compared to '97
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:45 pm
6/8 in 1995
12/15 in 1996
23/28 in 1997
Not to mention that the "bad" percentage quoted was the career high percentage at Tulane until Cairo! That '98 offense had to skew the percentages a little. I'd wonder what the situations were compared to '97
Gerry, I never said Palazzo was “bad”, I actually said that Tulane kickers had been nothing special outside of Cairo and (one year of) Marler.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:44 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:45 pm
6/8 in 1995
12/15 in 1996
23/28 in 1997
Gerry, I never said Palazzo was “bad”, I actually said that Tulane kickers had been nothing special outside of Cairo and (one year of) Marler.
Marler missed 3 Field Goals in the Hawaii Bowl. We won that game in spite of his performance.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder