MBB This Week

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

MBB This Week

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Home games against two teams that have yet to win a conference game. Tulsa on Wednesday and Wichita State on Saturday. Wichita has had their last two games postposed due to Covid protocols, but they are scheduled to play tomorrow evening against UCF. Somewhat unusual start times for both games. Tulsa at 8 pm Central and Wichita at 11 am Central. Both on ESPNU.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: MBB This Week

Unread post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 am Somewhat unusual start times for both games… Both on ESPNU.
The former is the result of the latter.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

It's hard to call a game a must win when you are 7-9. However, if we are going to finish above .500 in conference play and have a shot at a top 5 finish and a bye in the conference tournament we need to beat Tulsa. We still have to play Houston twice, at SMU and at Memphis. Right now we are tied for 4th with UCF and Cincinnati, 1/2 game behind Temple and 1/2 game ahead of Memphis.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Tulsa is not a bad basketball team. In their last game they blew a big 2nd half lead and lost to Memphis. Tulane matches up well with Tulsa, except for Tulsa’s 6-7 physical wing Jeriah Horne. Tulane needs to keep him off the FT line. In the Memphis game he scored 19 points, only hitting one field goal the entire game.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

It will be nice to have the students back. They turned out in pretty good numbers before the winter break,
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

NJwave wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 am It's hard to call a game a must win when you are 7-9. However, if we are going to finish above .500 in conference play and have a shot at a top 5 finish and a bye in the conference tournament we need to beat Tulsa. We still have to play Houston twice, at SMU and at Memphis. Right now we are tied for 4th with UCF and Cincinnati, 1/2 game behind Temple and 1/2 game ahead of Memphis.
With this team, every game is a must-win.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

We took care of the first game.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Great win for Wave. Great playing, coaching and solid fan turnout. TUMB showed up for Mardi Gras practice. Nice synergistic use of calendar.

I look forward to Saturday. Time to shock WSU.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

In the postgame press conference, Hunter stated he would buy breakfast for everyone coming to the game Saturday (11 am). "Eggs, pancakes, whatever" out of his pocket.

It should be interesting to see how this comes to fruition.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 pm In the postgame press conference, Hunter stated he would buy breakfast for everyone coming to the game Saturday (11 am). "Eggs, pancakes, whatever" out of his pocket.

File that with walking on the lake
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:29 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 pm In the postgame press conference, Hunter stated he would buy breakfast for everyone coming to the game Saturday (11 am). "Eggs, pancakes, whatever" out of his pocket.

File that with walking on the lake
except this is actually doable... go to a local Wendy's franchisee and cut a deal for a boatload of Wendy's breakfast sandwiches and have them at all of the entrances... one per customer
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

He’s going to do it. He’s done something similar before. We need to get families out there. Students ain’t showing up at 11am on a weekend
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Sodexo is right there at The Commons. I'm sure they could cut him a deal.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

There are always ways to work out free food in exchange for free advertising. XYZ restaurant, the official pancake house of Tulane athletics. Let the ESPN crew doing the game know and they will tell the story on air about Hunter paying for breakfast from XYZ restaurant. Everybody wins.

There have been so many times over the years where coaches at other schools were on tv handing out pizza to students that camped out for tickets to a big game.

If the Tulane athletic department can't figure out how to give a few hundred breakfast sandwiches to get a few butts in seats and some good publicity they are inept.

Hunter also said during his press conference that last night felt like the first time since he has been at Tulane that it felt like a home game was being played in a college arena.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

NJwave wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 pmThere have been so many times over the years where coaches at other schools were on tv handing out pizza to students that camped out for tickets to a big game.
Perry Clark handed out pizzas when people camped out in 1992 for the first game on ESPN against USM.

The team has handed out donuts to students on campus for a few years now (video is always posted on social media)... If they can handle dozens of boxes of donuts I'm sure they can find a way to provide some sort of breakfast sandwiches. Like described above, huge advertising opportunity for the providing restaurant.

I don't doubt they'll do it, I'm just curious how and what.
waverider
Cornerstone

I won’t be able to attend as I’ll finally be moving back into my house and my wife won’t let that be delayed another minute. I will be watching even if on my phone if I have to.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Well that didn't take long. Well done.

I'm curious where all on campus they advertise this. Are there digital signs the students see that could show this (LBC, dorm lobbies, perhaps)?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

Used to have dollar beers and hot dogs Sometimes. That would bring students.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

waverider wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:05 pm Image

I won’t be able to attend as I’ll finally be moving back into my house and my wife won’t let that be delayed another minute. I will be watching even if on my phone if I have to.
I’m really glad they managed to get this done. Coach Hunter deserves credit for making a real effort to try and get the students involved.

Here’s to hoping that next year he is buying NCAA tournament tickets for the first 1,000 students.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

I will miss the game.. coaching my team in the league championship game for hockey at noon... you folks are going to have to bring in the W without me

I've got my Herb Brooks Miracle on Ice speech ready as the other team is really good and smoked us 7 - 0 last time we played.
waverider
Cornerstone

I like this tweet from Ron Hunter:
I want to thank the Tulane students and fans for showing up and showing out today. I’m Uber driving tonight to pay for the breakfast i promised today. The best is yet to come Tulane!
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:53 pm I like this tweet from Ron Hunter:
I want to thank the Tulane students and fans for showing up and showing out today. I’m Uber driving tonight to pay for the breakfast i promised today. The best is yet to come Tulane!
ESPN posted video of him dancing in front of the student section