Maybe it wasn't the coach....

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Maybe it wasn't the coach....

Post by Johnny Mac »

seriously, though... another horrible loss against a bad team..

unless the strategy is to tank these three games (one down, two to go) to get out of ECU's bracket in Clearwater.. then... good job!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Therealkp
Head Trainer

Re: Maybe it wasn't the coach....

Post by Therealkp »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 pm seriously, though... another horrible loss against a bad team..

unless the strategy is to tank these three games (one down, two to go) to get out of ECU's bracket in Clearwater.. then... good job!!
Uhlman is Jewett. The sole purpose was to get Jewett out and bring someone else in. Uhlman doesn’t have a chance of getting the head job, and the new coach will bring his guys in. We need a new coaching staff. Uhlman had the opportunity tonight to make some changes, and guess what. He basically did the same thing. Why would you bring Hoffman in when you are getting blown out? He has been lights out lately. These coaches play base to base with literally no power in the lineup. We were lucky to get the runs we got. They helped us out also.
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

Disappointing loss to a craptastic team (that we regularly throttled under Travis Jewett) .. but barring a miracle in the conference tournament this is a lost season. Such is the life of a Tulane fan
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 pm seriously, though... another horrible loss against a bad team..

Avoid ECU, avoid the 4-5 game that is played during rush hour Tuesday morning and avoid any expectations in Clearwater at all. I love that we finally have a coach that thinks outside the box and plans ahead.

or…..

We are really bad.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Like I said on the scoreboard last night. A good HC is usually successful because of the assistants he has on his staff. These same assistants have been coaching these kids all season. We really shouldn’t be surprised by the results.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Therealkp
Head Trainer

Post by Therealkp »

waverider wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:12 am Like I said on the scoreboard last night. A good HC is usually successful because of the assistants he has on his staff. These same assistants have been coaching these kids all season. We really shouldn’t be surprised by the results.
Exactly!! Time to clean house.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Yes, the entire staff should be replaced
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Come on, guys. The starter last night had eight no hit innings against ECU and five one hit innings last night against Tulane while our Friday night starter was giving up a ton of runs in two innings.

No one now is going to want to play Memphis next week in opening game.

Meanwhile everyone wants to play Tulane. We were horrible last night playing the hottest pitcher in America. We were lucky not to be run-tooled. (Sic)
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

Maybe we shouldn’t be concerned about the portal. Just a bunch of travel ballers. Are we sure they understand these games count?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Last year Bennett Lee’s worth was in his offense while his defense was always in question. Per Guerry, this season he has thrown out 15 of 51 base stealers, an improvement from the 10 of 57 he threw out last year.
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:14 am Last year Bennett Lee’s worth was in his offense while his defense was always in question. Per Guerry, this season he has thrown out 15 of 51 base stealers, an improvement from the 10 of 57 he threw out last year.
Pitchers could be part of the problem too. IIRC the other catchers were actually worse than Lee at throwing out runners last season
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:20 am
waverider wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:14 am Last year Bennett Lee’s worth was in his offense while his defense was always in question. Per Guerry, this season he has thrown out 15 of 51 base stealers, an improvement from the 10 of 57 he threw out last year.
Pitchers could be part of the problem too. IIRC the other catchers were actually worse than Lee at throwing out runners last season
Both of those are true. Lee does have to dig a lot of balls out of the dirt.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

After watching us the last two games, maybe it was the coach after all. The team has looked loose and guys like Lee and Minder are hitting again. After losing the first game like we did it would have been easy to fold up and look to next year. Maybe having a little fun these past couple games will keep our core talent interested in coming back.
Tulane Greenbackers

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I am beginning to agree with those who'd like to see the new coach offer Uhlman a spot on the new coaching staff; he certainly manages a game loads better than Coach Jewett did. Hope we give ECU a battle royale on Saturday.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

randymc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:13 pm I am beginning to agree with those who'd like to see the new coach offer Uhlman a spot on the new coaching staff; he certainly manages a game loads better than Coach Jewett did. Hope we give ECU a battle royale on Saturday.
I still don’t think he will be retained by a new coach, but he isn’t playing out the string. He is trying different things and has pushed the right buttons the last two games. We will never know, but I wonder if the season would have gone differently if Jewett had been let go in March.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

NJwave wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 pm
randymc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:13 pm I am beginning to agree with those who'd like to see the new coach offer Uhlman a spot on the new coaching staff; he certainly manages a game loads better than Coach Jewett did. Hope we give ECU a battle royale on Saturday.
I still don’t think he will be retained by a new coach, but he isn’t playing out the string. He is trying different things and has pushed the right buttons the last two games. We will never know, but I wonder if the season would have gone differently if Jewett had been let go in March.
I’m just glad we haven’t seen the shift used as much.
Tulane Greenbackers

Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

I remember that, when Latham was the pitching coach at Southeastern, they beat us on a regular basis. Now that he's with us, we say he isn't any good.

Just sayin' maybe the problem is elsewhere.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Luvs da Wave wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:26 pm I remember that, when Latham was the pitching coach at Southeastern, they beat us on a regular basis. Now that he's with us, we say he isn't any good.

How about this theory, he wasn’t the reason that Southeastern beat us?

I’ve seen his pitching staffs here, they haven’t been good enough. I have no confidence that removing Travis Jewett from the equation changes that
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Luvs da Wave wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:26 pm I remember that, when Latham was the pitching coach at Southeastern, they beat us on a regular basis. Now that he's with us, we say he isn't any good.

. Need more quality pitchers.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

From what I remember, his best year at Southeastern was his first with an inherited staff and the numbers got progressively worse as the seasons went on. Maybe he’s not a bad coach, just not a great recruiter.
Tulane Greenbackers

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

2015 and 2016 (his second and third seasons) were his two best with 40-plus wins each year. He made the NCAAs in '14, '15 and '17 (and again this year). So, 4 NCAA trips in 8 years. He has won 60 percent of his games at SLU.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

randymc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:20 pm 2015 and 2016 (his second and third seasons) were his two best with 40-plus wins each year. He made the NCAAs in '14, '15 and '17 (and again this year). So, 4 NCAA trips in 8 years. He has won 60 percent of his games at SLU.
I think they were talking about Latham, not Riser
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:12 pm

From what I remember, his best year at Southeastern was his first with an inherited staff and the numbers got progressively worse as the seasons went on. Maybe he’s not a bad coach, just not a great recruiter.
This. We need a a good pitching coach.
We deserve so much better
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

randymc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:20 pm 2015 and 2016 (his second and third seasons) were his two best with 40-plus wins each year. He made the NCAAs in '14, '15 and '17 (and again this year). So, 4 NCAA trips in 8 years. He has won 60 percent of his games at SLU.
This was the only year he made the NCAA tourney without Latham. And they didn't have a good season, until the Southland tourney. Really, the last 4 seasons haven't been particularly good. Like to see NCAA tourney teams as an at large (or won the tourney but still would have gone as at large), or more 40-win seasons.
Therealkp
Head Trainer

Post by Therealkp »

NJwave wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 pm

No doubt in my mind it would have gone differently. If we are fortunate to get a new staff I would almost guarantee it. Just look at how many games Jewett put players in and took them out. He took players out after going 3 for 6 and won games. If you take the time to look at the stats one game at a time it will blow your mind. You can’t expect a kid to be consistent just getting an ab every now and then. You have to look at it from games they got 2 or more abs. Go talley up the stats you will see. Many people just look at the final stats. He even played mind games with Linn for a majority of the games. I think you can really see the type of talent this team had when we lost the players we did and Jewett was gone. The teams poison was out of the dugout.