Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.

Would you support Coach Uhlman hiring Travis Jewett to be on next year's staff?

Yes - Let's get the band back together!
12%
No - I'm not sure that would get us the desired result.
88%

Total votes: 25

visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Post by visualmagic »

FW wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:57 pm You can’t see an improvement in the recruiting since Uhlman got here? Seriously?
Not enough. Look at our pitching staff
If you’re buying in on Uhlman, so be it. You’re the one getting duped. Not me.

I think the idea that Uhlman has brought the talent to a different level is overstated. Linn and Banks are awesome but you can’t win with 2 guys
Last edited by visualmagic on Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I never said he was my top choice, or even choice. But, you can read what I wrote, and I stand by all of it.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:32 pm
long green wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:26 pm I don’t expect to make the regionals the next two years. I do expect and demand to have an improving team at the end of that time that will contend legitimately to make the regionals every year thereafter.
What about the staff changes gives you any confidence in that happening?

Uhlman has been recruiting for us since the summer of 2019.

2 years from now that’s 6 years ago of his recruiting. If he can’t get a regional team in that time period, why would you expect him to beyond that?
Don’t bother addressing me, now or later. If I address you after this, by all means call me out.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Sounds like you got nothing but blind faith.

Much like you had with Dannen and Jewett
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:00 pm
FW wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:57 pm You can’t see an improvement in the recruiting since Uhlman got here? Seriously?
Not enough. Look at our pitching staff
If you’re buying in on Uhlman, so be it. You’re the one getting duped. Not me.

I think the idea that Uhlman has brought the talent to a different level is overstated. Linn and Banks are awesome but you can’t win with 2 guys
Let’s put to bed the notion that CJU only recruited two D1 baseball players. Here is what the facts say -

FR Jackson Linn - .353
FR Teo Banks - .317
FR Brady Marget - .290
FR Gavin Schulz - .255
RSoph Brennan Lambert - .268
RSoph Simon Baumgardt - .260
FR Grant Siegel - 3.02 ERA, started 9 games, 59.2 innings, struck out 53, walked 13
FR Michael Massey - started 11 games, 68 innings, struck out 52, walked 16
SO Dylan Carmouche - started 16 games, 90.1 innings, struck out 87, walked 31
FR Chandler Welch - started 5 games, 52.1 innings, struck out 54, walked 29

The stats above were put up predominantly by 19 and 20 year-old D1 players. Not too shabby considering their age and inexperience on a 33-26-1 team. No reason not to believe these guys will improve if they stay together. Tossing this group to the side and insinuating they were 2 man team is comical.

Undoubtedly, people will question the hiring of Anthony Izzio. Can we give the guy a chance? He played and PITCHED at South Alabama. He has coached at Tulane, Charleston Southern, Pearl River CC, and East Mississippi CC (you have to start somewhere - ask David Pierce about his untraditional journey). Carl Lafferty, the Ole Miss recruiting coordinator/pitching coach says “Anthony is a tremendous recruiter. His passion to find players is second to none. What’s really impressive is his ability to connect and create relationships with the kids he recruits.” Carl Lafferty knows Mississippi and gulf coast recruiting just about better than anyone. Very high endorsement. Izzio is in his early 30’s. Let’s see how this plays out before ripping the guy to shreds. I will take Lafferty’s endorsement over any opinion on this board until proven otherwise.

Our success will, as it always has, rely on pitching. From recruiting, to development, to control, to injuries, it’s a giant crap shoot. Just saw where a high school senior who is projected mid-first round shut it down four games into the season so he could avoid the dreaded Tommy John. You will see this more and more from highly projected high school and college pitchers - who can blame them. Nevertheless, if CJU and his staff can upgrade the pitching, we can win next year. That is a big ask, especially this late in the process, but with some luck perhaps they can add 3-4 guys. If not, year two and three will be the telltale sign of where we are heading.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Undoubtedly, people will question the hiring of Anthony Izzio. Can we give the guy a chance?
Jay Uhlman already gave him the chance. I don’t have to like it, but he’s getting his chance to prove me wrong.
relationships with the kids he recruits.” Carl Lafferty knows Mississippi and gulf coast recruiting just about better than anyone. Very high endorsement. Izzio is in his early 30’s. Let’s see how this plays out before ripping the guy to shreds. I will take Lafferty’s endorsement over any opinion on this board until proven otherwise.
Tim Corbin told me Travis Jewett was good
Sean Payton told me CJ was good.
These endorsements mean nothing.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

The fact is the results on the field haven’t changed much.

2017: RPI 82, AAC Record 13-11, Team BA .266

2018: RPI 86, AAC Record 9-14, Team BA .266

2019: RPI 98, AAC RECORD 12-11, Team BA .303

Uhlman’s 1st year, (probably not many guys he recruited on the 2020 team)

2020: RPI 27, COVID Season, no AAC games, team BA .303

2021: RPI 83, AAC Record 17-10, Team BA .280

2022: RPI 86, AAC record 11-13, Team BA .272

If the talent level has massively improved why is there no statistical evidence?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Who said anything about “massively improved?”

I said we had talent, YOUNG talent. A core to build around and get better. I also said we need PITCHING. I said we have some pieces, but need more. What didn’t you understand? The fact I said we had some talented YOUNG players recruited by our current coach pizzes you off, I guess. In fact, any mention of something that CJU has positively done has you squealing. Give the man a chance!

Just curious what level of baseball you played. Do you have any comprehension of the jump from high school to college baseball? From a hitting standpoint, do you realize how much the game changes? From a pitching perspective, you better hit your spots, you better have an out pitch. What a number of our freshmen and sophomore players did this past year should be applauded.

“Massively improved.” I mentioned 6 position players and 4 pitchers that performed at a high level given their age and experience. Last time I counted, you need at least 9-12 position players that can play defense, hit, and stay healthy, with probably 8-10 pitchers that know how to get outs, and with a lot of luck stay healthy. In that mix, you need some talented experience. Those guys look like they are hitting the road. This piece of the puzzle will take time given how late this staff will be put together. Again, just give this staff a chance before leading them to the firing line.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:01 pm Who said anything about “massively improved?”

I said we had talent, YOUNG talent. A core to build around and get better. I also said we need PITCHING. I said we have some pieces, but need more. What didn’t you understand? The fact I said we had some talented YOUNG players recruited by our current coach pizzes you off, I guess. In fact, any mention of something that CJU has positively done has you squealing. Give the man a chance!

Just curious what level of baseball you played. Do you have any comprehension of the jump from high school to college baseball? From a hitting standpoint, do you realize how much the game changes? From a pitching perspective, you better hit your spots, you better have an out pitch. What a number of our freshmen and sophomore players did this past year should be applauded.

“Massively improved.” I mentioned 6 position players and 4 pitchers that performed at a high level given their age and experience. Last time I counted, you need at least 9-12 position players that can play defense, hit, and stay healthy, with probably 8-10 pitchers that know how to get outs, and with a lot of luck stay healthy. In that mix, you need some talented experience. Those guys look like they are hitting the road. This piece of the puzzle will take time given how late this staff will be put together. Again, just give this staff a chance before leading them to the firing line.
IMO FW implied a major improvement in recruiting under Coach Uhlman, which is why the question was addressed to him and not you.

It does kind of p*as me off when I’m getting sold some bullsh*t. I don’t have to give CJU a chance, Dannen gave him the chance. He gets to be head coach and nothing I do or say will have any impact on it. He’s got the opportunity to prove me wrong on everyday that ends in “Y”. Good luck to him, I think he’s going to need it.

I don’t know what my level of play has to do with anything either. The rest of that paragraph also has nothing to do with anything that anyone in this thread has said.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Our freshman class was ranked #25. Does anyone know when the last time we signed a top 25 class? It couldn’t have been during the Jewett years pre-Uhlman.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:10 pm Our freshman class was ranked #25. Does anyone know when the last time we signed a top 25 class? It couldn’t have been during the Jewett years pre-Uhlman.

Here are our recent class rankings on Perfect Game

2017: 44
2018: 68
2019: 64
Uhlman arrives
2020: 61
2021: 28
2022: 89
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

And 53 for 2023
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:21 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:10 pm Our freshman class was ranked #25. Does anyone know when the last time we signed a top 25 class? It couldn’t have been during the Jewett years pre-Uhlman.

Here are our recent class rankings on Perfect Game

2017: 44
2018: 68
2019: 64
Uhlman arrives
2020: 61
2021: 28
2022: 89
Thanks. Other than last year, our classes have been underwhelming. I knew for a while we weren’t getting legit baseball players but it felt like we were improving in that area. We really need to build on last year’s class with the same caliber of players.
FW and I were trying to make that point on Twitter yesterday.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Here is a big IF.

Sean Allen was fired today at Texas as their pitching coach and recruiting coordinator?

Today on the TU website, Izzo was announced as pitching coach and recruiting coordinator. (makes u wonder what if??????)
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

CletusRelm wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:07 pm Here is a big IF.

Sean Allen was fired today at Texas as their pitching coach and recruiting coordinator?

Today on the TU website, Izzo was announced as pitching coach and recruiting coordinator. (makes u wonder what if??????)
I guess you’re going to have to spell it out because it’s not making me wonder anything
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I guess I am giving Izzo the benefit of the doubt.

Would Izzo be better for TU than Sean Allen? (I think I know the answer most would say)
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

CletusRelm wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:22 pm I guess I am giving Izzo the benefit of the doubt.

Would Izzo be better for TU than Sean Allen? (I think I know the answer most would say)
Sean Allen interviewed for the Head Coaching job at Tulane. He was not going to take the assistant job.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

U R correct. I was not thinking of that. :oops:
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Tulane's 2021-22 newcomer class, led by Jackson Linn and Teo Banks, ranked No. 25 nationally by D1 Baseball. That's why I prefer the D1 Baseball class rankings to Perfect Game's. PG only looks at high school guys coming in. D1 looks at all newcomers to campus once school starts each fall.
Last edited by randymc on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

randymc wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:40 pm Tulane's 2021-22 newcomer class, led by Jackson Linn and Teo Banks, ranked No. 25 nationally by D1 Baseball.
89 and 25 is quite a variance
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

GSx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:12 pm
randymc wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:40 pm Tulane's 2021-22 newcomer class, led by Jackson Linn and Teo Banks, ranked No. 25 nationally by D1 Baseball.
89 and 25 is quite a variance
The 89 on Perfect game is for the incoming class. They had the Banks and Linn class at 28
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

The current class has not nearly been put together yet. The 89 ranking at this point in time is meaningless.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:20 pm The current class has not nearly been put together yet. The 89 ranking at this point in time is meaningless.
89 is the ranking of the freshman class, transfers not included. The high school guys still available are not going to move the needle much
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I wonder what the hold up is on announcing that Adam Core is the hitting coach
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:43 pm I wonder what the hold up is on announcing that Adam Core is the hitting coach
Waiting for football to start so the announcement gets buried in “other news”. :-D
Tulane Greenbackers