Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.

Would you support Coach Uhlman hiring Travis Jewett to be on next year's staff?

Yes - Let's get the band back together!
12%
No - I'm not sure that would get us the desired result.
88%

Total votes: 25

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Unread post by NJwave »

His Charleston Southern bio indicates that his title was assistant coach/recruiting coordinator. Prior to Tulane he was the pitching coach for 2 different junior colleges. He also pitched for 2 years at South Alabama. He graduated from South Alabama in 2013.

Just curious if anybody knows what kind of money assistant coaches in the American can make?
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

long green wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:05 am He was here only for the COVID season before moving to CSU. He’s a JUCO rat, as Uhlman described himself, and a Gulf Coast native.
At least his one season was during our best 17 game stretch of the past 6 years.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Unread post by Johnny4 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:12 am So much for my sam Pittman metaphor. Troy dannen apparently wants to drop baseball I guess
Wouldn't be the first time!
https://www.thegazette.com/sports/a-yea ... till-hurt/
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:12 am So much for my sam Pittman metaphor. Troy dannen apparently wants to drop baseball I guess
He should just do it at this point. There’s zero chance this works and nobody who’s being honest about it can even convince themselves that it might. This is embarrassing.
All the bozos that tried to convince us that this was going work they already know they were wrong.
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:29 am
He should just do it at this point. There’s zero chance this works and nobody who’s being honest about it can even convince themselves that it might. This is embarrassing.
All the bozos that tried to convince us that this was going work they already know they were wrong.
I thought was just expressing frustration when I said we should drop baseball and build a state of the art football facility on Yulman. Now I think I planted the idea to get interest in baseball so low that fans will be happy to see construction start 8)
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

waverider wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:39 am
visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:29 am
I thought was just expressing frustration when I said we should drop baseball and build a state of the art football facility on Yulman. Now I think I planted the idea to get interest in baseball so low that fans will be happy to see construction start 8)
:lol: Football probably still has even less chance of being good than baseball
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Charleston Southern team ERA:
2022: 6.73
2021: 5.76

After coaching 20 years, Uhlman should have a wider circle than someone he knew at Tulane.
visualmagic
President's Circle

GSx wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:02 am Charleston Southern team ERA:
2022: 6.73
2021: 5.76

After coaching 20 years, Uhlman should have a wider circle than someone he knew at Tulane.
We’ve been bamboozled. This guy has no chance
visualmagic
President's Circle

Has Adam Core been promoted to hitting coach yet?
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:29 am Has Adam Core been promoted to hitting coach yet?
I’m waiting to hear that and won’t be surprised at all.
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

waverider wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:19 pm
visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:29 am Has Adam Core been promoted to hitting coach yet?
I’m waiting to hear that and won’t be surprised at all.
I’ll be surprised if it’s anyone else
visualmagic
President's Circle

The lack of outrage just shows me that nobody cares any longer

If y’all thought I was bad for the last 6 years it’s probably only going to get worse. I tried to gaslight myself into thinking this might work for the past few days and then he does this. Uhlman either doesn’t give a sh*t or we couldn’t afford a decent candidate.
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:38 pm The lack of outrage just shows me that nobody cares any longer

If y’all thought I was bad for the last 6 years it’s probably only going to get worse. I tried to gaslight myself into thinking this might work for the past few days and then he does this. Uhlman either doesn’t give a sh*t or we couldn’t afford a decent candidate.
That’s how I feel. I was letting my expectations drift in hopes that with the right assistant coaches we can be better than we’ve been. Then we bring a guy back who’s resume is worse than the guy he’s replacing.

I miss Latham already :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

In baseball, more than other sports, you can win with excellent recruiters. This guy (like Uhlman) is known as a good recruiter. Also, it's Charleston Southern. I just looked at their media guide aside from 1968 and 1984, they have never had an entire season with a team ERA under 4.55. The 10th best team ERA in their program's history is 5.08. This is not a good program at all. It's a very, very, very bad program. They have never won more than 32 games in a season (1986) and only won more than 30 (4 times). They were 25-38 combined in the two years he was pitching coach. I don't really think he had any talent to work with there. They have never made the postseason in their 55 year history. If he's not good, it's not based on the team ERA at CSU.
visualmagic
President's Circle

FW wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:57 pm In baseball, more than other sports, you can win with excellent recruiters. This guy (like Uhlman) is known as a good recruiter. Also, it's Charleston Southern. I just looked at their media guide aside from 1968 and 1984, they have never had an entire season with a team ERA under 4.55. The 10th best team ERA in their program's history is 5.08. This is not a good program at all. It's a very, very, very bad program. They have never won more than 32 games in a season (1986) and only won more than 30 (4 times). They were 25-38 combined in the two years he was pitching coach. I don't really think he had any talent to work with there. They have never made the postseason in their 55 year history. If he's not good, it's not based on the team ERA at CSU.
There’s a reason he was at CSU. Nobody better wanted him.

These are the same kind of excuses people give failed Tulane coaches(mostly in other sports) usually they’re just not good coaches.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

This was his first D-I pitching coach job, but ok.
visualmagic
President's Circle

FW wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:10 pm This was his first D-I pitching coach job, but ok.
You think this staff is going to succeed? We can make it interesting. I’ll bet you that we don’t make a regional in the next 2 seasons
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:02 pm
visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:38 pm The lack of outrage just shows me that nobody cares any longer

That’s how I feel. I was letting my expectations drift in hopes that with the right assistant coaches we can be better than we’ve been. Then we bring a guy back who’s resume is worse than the guy he’s replacing.

I miss Latham already :wink:
Ditto. Coaching hires are supposed to bring hope if nothing else. This one has felt like a wet fart from the word go. I'm open to being wrong pending an immediate regional berth in 2023. I will believe it when I see it.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:16 pm
FW wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:10 pm This was his first D-I pitching coach job, but ok.
You think this staff is going to succeed? We can make it interesting. I’ll bet you that we don’t make a regional in the next 2 seasons
Let me see the roster, and then I'll decide if I take the bet.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

What is our budget for assistant coaches? You aren’t going to get top tier coaches if you aren’t willing to pay them.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I don’t expect to make the regionals the next two years. I do expect and demand to have an improving team at the end of that time that will contend legitimately to make the regionals every year thereafter.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

long green wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:26 pm I don’t expect to make the regionals the next two years. I do expect and demand to have an improving team at the end of that time that will contend legitimately to make the regionals every year thereafter.
What about the staff changes gives you any confidence in that happening?

Uhlman has been recruiting for us since the summer of 2019.

2 years from now that’s 6 years ago of his recruiting. If he can’t get a regional team in that time period, why would you expect him to beyond that?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

So wait, we make a hire for the sole sake of continuity of recruiting but we are supposed to give it another 2+ years before we can expect postseason? Sorry, I disagree 100%. If you want 2 years and a regional in the 3rd, you hire a real coach and and start a rebuild, transfers be darned. We hired internal which signals the people in charge think we must be close talent wise and just need some minor tweaks to reach the postseason. It's regional or bust next year and every year thereafter.
visualmagic
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 pm So wait, we make a hire for the sole sake of continuity of recruiting but we are supposed to give it another 2+ years before we can expect postseason? Sorry, I disagree 100%. If you want 2 years and a regional in the 3rd, you hire a real coach and and start a rebuild, transfers be darned. We hired internal which signals the people in charge think we must be close talent wise and just need some minor tweaks to reach the postseason. It's regional or bust next year and every year thereafter.
100%
I can’t even believe Long Green even said that. On 2nd thought I guess I can
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

You can’t see an improvement in the recruiting since Uhlman got here? Seriously?