Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.

Would you support Coach Uhlman hiring Travis Jewett to be on next year's staff?

Yes - Let's get the band back together!
12%
No - I'm not sure that would get us the desired result.
88%

Total votes: 25

QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Post by QuarterbackU »

***New Poll Alert***

WHAT if I told you we could hire the below resume to be our #1 Assistant:

During his coaching career, the candidate has coached numerous major leaguers, including Jason Bay, Austin Barnes, Jake Barrett, Tyler Beede, Walker Buehler, Kole Calhoun, Carson Fulmer, Bo Hart, Tony Kemp, Brent Lillibridge, Deven Marrero, Bryan Reynolds, Kevin Richardson, Dansby Swanson, Mike Yastrzemski, Sean White, Kyle Wright and 2008 and 2009 Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum.

In 2016, the candidate was promoted to associate head coach under Tim Corbin at Vanderbilt. The team finished 43-19, and with Jewett’s hitting prowess, Commodore sluggers led the Southeastern Conference in triples while ranking eighth nationally in the category. Vanderbilt also ranked 33rd nationally in runs scored. Alonzo Jones and Ethan Paul earned Freshman All-America honors, while Jeren Kendall and Bryan Reynolds were tabbed as Third Team All-Americans by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA). In each of the candidate's four seasons in Nashville, the Commodores produced at least two All-Americans.

The Vanderbilt offense blossomed in 2015 into a powerful lineup that produced 69 home runs, the most since 1998, while hitting .290 as a team and leading the Southeastern Conference in doubles and triples. Jeren Kendall, Bryan Reynolds and Kyle Wright earned All-SEC Second team accolades while Connor Kaiser and Ethan Paul picked up Freshman All-SEC honors.

Under the candidate's guidance, Dansby Swanson was selected as a two-time All-American, earning first team honors and National Player of the Year accolades en route to being the top overall pick in the MLB Draft. Rhett Wiseman picked up All-American honors after hitting 15 home runs to lead the team along with Swanson and Zander Wiel. Jewett also developed a pair of freshmen into Freshman All-Americans in Kendall and Will Toffey.

The candidate’s second Vandy team won the school’s first-ever national championship in 2014. The Dores’ offense caught fire in the NCAA Tournament hitting .322 with 48 runs during the NCAA Regionals and Super Regionals. In Omaha, the Commodores stole a College World Series-record 17 bases on their way to the National Championship

The candidate added two more All-Americans to his list in Vince Conde and Swanson in 2014 with both infielders earning first team All-SEC honors as well. Swanson led the nation and matched the school record with 27 doubles as part of the Dores’ 145 doubles as a team, the most since the 2010 team set the school record with 160. In his rookie campaign, Reynolds led the Commodores in hitting with a .338 average and 24 doubles to garner Freshman All-American honors.

The Commodores’ offense clicked under the candidate’s guidance in 2013 during his first year in Nashville with the Dores improving in virtually every offensive category, hitting .313 as a team – 45 points higher than 2012 – to lead all Southeastern Conference teams. Vanderbilt also led the SEC in slugging percentage (.439), on-base percentage (.407), runs scored (459), RBI (418), triples (17), walks (295) and stolen bases (139). Along with the team successes, multiple individuals produced career years under Jewett for the first time. Tony Kemp was named SEC Player of the Year after hitting a career-best .391 and posting an on-base percentage of .471 in his final year in Black & Gold. Connor Harrell bounced back from a tough junior season to be the Commodores’ main source of power with a team-high 12 home runs. Harrell hit a career-best .312 while driving in 67 runs, sixth-most in school history.

The candidate's leadership with the team’s outfielders molded the Commodores’ outfield into one of the best in the nation in 2013 with a trio of seniors in Jack Lupo, Connor Harrell and Mike Yastrzemski. Harrell and Yastrzemski started all 66 games in center and right field, respectively

As the recruiting coordinator at Vanderbilt, the candidate regularly produced some of the nation’s top classes. Twenty-five of the candidate’s pupils were drafted, including four first round picks. Of those 25 drafted, 12 were hitters.
Last edited by QuarterbackU on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Coach Jay Uhlman's Assistants/Staff

Post by visualmagic »

Latham as Pitching coach
Jewett as Hitting coach
Niemanm coaching the catchers
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:35 pm Latham as Pitching coach
Jewett as Hitting coach
Niemanm coaching the catchers
Sign me up!!!
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
speckled trout
Breaker Level

Post by speckled trout »

the Jay Uhlman experiment could work if he dismisses Latham and gets a solid pitching coach, plus a young up-and-coming hitting coach to handle the bulk of recruiting.

If not it’s basically Travis Jewett 2.0
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

speckled trout wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:41 pm the Jay Uhlman experiment could work if he dismisses Latham and gets a solid pitching coach, plus a young up-and-coming hitting coach to handle the bulk of recruiting.

If not it’s basically Travis Jewett 2.0
I want Uhlman handling recruiting unless he hires someone that can consistently recruit classes like the most recent one.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Guerry Smith on Eric Asher's radio show just now says he can say with certainty that Daniel Latham won't return as pitching coach.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

randymc wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:38 pm Guerry Smith on Eric Asher's radio show just now says he can say with certainty that Daniel Latham won't return as pitching coach.
When the search just started I said that the only way I’d except Uhlman is if he brought in a new staff, especially pitching coach.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Daniel Latham isn't coming back. I spoke with Coach Uhlman today at length and recorded a podcast that I just posted. Take a few minutes to listen to him. I was impressed with him and his approach. I think he'll have some very good assistant coach options.

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/f ... al_sharing
This one belongs to the Wave.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

One way to get good assistants is to pay them. To put it mildly, Uhlman should not break our bank with his initial salary. Put the $ to staff and let Uhlman earn his second contract and the rewards that come with it.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

TU23 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:57 pm Daniel Latham isn't coming back. I spoke with Coach Uhlman today at length and recorded a podcast that I just posted. Take a few minutes to listen to him. I was impressed with him and his approach. I think he'll have some very good assistant coach options.

Before I give it a listen maybe you can answer a question for me? The whole appeal of Uhlman is recruiting. Same as Jewett. Did Jewett delegate the recruiting to his assistants from the get-go or did he try to recruit and fail before bringing in Uhlman to handle the recruiting?
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

TU23 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:57 pm Daniel Latham isn't coming back. I spoke with Coach Uhlman today at length and recorded a podcast that I just posted. Take a few minutes to listen to him. I was impressed with him and his approach. I think he'll have some very good assistant coach options.

This podcast was reassuring. The jury is obviously still out, but I liked what I heard.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Haven't had a chance to listen yet. Does he say "every day ending in Y" at all?!
STOP BUNTING gaddammit!!
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

no cliche zone with Coach Uhlman; said coaches are guides for players but not their buddy.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:00 pm One way to get good assistants is to pay them. To put it mildly, Uhlman should not break our bank with his initial salary. Put the $ to staff and let Uhlman earn his second contract and the rewards that come with it.
Almost every great (or even "fairly successful but moreso than the year before or after") team in Tulane's history had fantastic assistants and when they left the results dropped off. I've talked about all the assistants Perry Clark had in my day that went on to head coaching jobs. Lisa Stockton's best years were when she had great assistants. Rick Jones, same. Even Bowden had RR. It's almost like we should have a cheap head coach and spend the money letting them get great assistants.... hey, maybe that's the plan.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:46 pm Haven't had a chance to listen yet. Does he say "every day ending in Y" at all?!
So to speak
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Listened to the interview. Nice job tu23. Uhlman is already an improvement in the ability to clearly convey thoughts department. That has to count for something in trying to teach players.

Listening to his back story, uhlman's long road to a head job reminds me of Sam Pittman at Arkansas. Pittman kept getting passed over and nobody liked the hire at the time but he has Arkansas in great shape just a couple years in. The main thing there was surrounding himself with strong assistants. If Uhlman can do that, and his interview gave me some confidence he can, then maybe this will work out.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

There are a lot of holes to poke in this hire. When we hired Jewett he had a very solid resume for an assistant and we had interviewed some other solid people. The process made the result look better. That didn’t happen here. If Dannen is convinced he got the right guy he should have tried to manage the conversation about the process to make Uhlman sound more like a win.

Until I’m proven wrong, and God I hope I am, I’ll think Dannen went cheap and easy. The weird thing about TD and baseball is that he seems not to know how easy it would be to get those fans in particular on his side. If Dannen had flushed Jewett after three years and hired an alum like Riser precisely because he (TD) doesn’t care about baseball, a notable portion of opinion on here would be behind him in general. Now I think a majority of posters here would be relieved if he stepped down to do something else.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

long green wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:51 pm There are a lot of holes to poke in this hire. When we hired Jewett he had a very solid resume for an assistant and we had interviewed some other solid people. The process made the result look better. That didn’t happen here. If Dannen is convinced he got the right guy he should have tried to manage the conversation about the process to make Uhlman sound more like a win.

Until I’m proven wrong, and God I hope I am, I’ll think Dannen went cheap and easy. The weird thing about TD and baseball is that he seems not to know how easy it would be to get those fans in particular on his side. If Dannen had flushed Jewett after three years and hired an alum like Riser precisely because he (TD) doesn’t care about baseball, a notable portion of opinion on here would be behind him in general. Now I think a majority of posters here would be relieved if he stepped down to do something else.
Dannen is doing it all strictly to annoy me
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Before I give it a listen maybe you can answer a question for me? The whole appeal of Uhlman is recruiting. Same as Jewett. Did Jewett delegate the recruiting to his assistants from the get-go or did he try to recruit and fail before bringing in Uhlman to handle the recruiting?
Jewett, like most head coaches, delegated recruiting coordinator duties to his assistants. The recruiting in years 1-3 was not good. Years 4-6 (especially 5-6) was much better and Uhlman was the coordinator. Tulane is a unique place to recruit and you have to figure out how to navigate admissions and the high cost of attendance. If you don’t know where to find your target audience and how to close them, you’ve got no shot. I thought Coach Uhlman’s philosophy was spot on. He did a great job of explaining it on the podcast. It’s similar to what I saw with Jim Schlossnagle and Mark Kingston: you have to convince the parents almost more so than the player. If you can’t get the parents, you have no shot with the player.

I didn’t know that much about Jay a week ago. I’ve talked to a lot of people over the last few days and have talked to Jay twice now. I think he’s got a real chance to do something especially if his staff comes together like I think it will.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

That interview of Jay on FTW is very positive. I liked what I heard.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I liked what I heard also. Great interview….. I am very interested in seeing who returns and who leaves.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I agree with the others about the interview being a good one. I can actually listen to him speak unlike the last one.

I also like that he is going to bring back events to connect the alumni. I don’t remember if it was Pierce or Jewett that stopped the alumni game but Uhlman wants to bring it back. Talked about reaching out to former coaches as well.

I also picked up some digs at TJ that would go along with some of the off-field stuff we heard about.
Last edited by waverider on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

waverider wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:23 pm I agree with the others about the interview being a good one. I can actually listen to him speak unlike the last one.

I also like that he is going to bring back events to connect the alumni. I don’t remember if it was Pierce or Jewett that stopped the alumni game but Uhlman wants to bring it back. Talked about reaching out to former coaches as well.
and the First Pitch Dinner. I always enjoyed that.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The interview was excellent. It would seem from what he said that he’s not looking for people close to his age (late forties).
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I remember how much everyone loved the interviews and videos of Jewett in 2016. There’s not much that he can or will say in some introductory interview that is going to make you dislike him. My opinion of him is going to be based almost solely on his winning percentage