Voice of Wave C. Gloor talks with Coach Uhlman

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

Voice of Wave C. Gloor talks with Coach Uhlman

Post by randymc »

Nice interview:
some highlights
Tulane plans to open season next year at UC Irvine.
LSU likely to play Tulane in New Orleans.
He never really liked Slap the Wall all that much and doubts he will keep it, at least not in same form.
Tulane has two guys committed from the Transfer Portal coming into the program -- one a name everyone will recognize (but he said he's not ready to divulge that info since recruiting is on going).
Relationships are his biggest selling point in trying to get Tulane players who entered the portal to return. He said that process is under way, and no one has said a flat out "no" to coming back at this point. He's talked to those players as recently as today.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1491577393
wavedom
President's Circle

Re: Voice of Wave C. Gloor talks with Coach Uhlman

Post by wavedom »

Thanks for that summary. Much appreciated.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’ll listen to it at work tomorrow but thanks for the recap. I was thinking it would just be a repeat of FTW’s interview but it sounds like different things were discussed.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

randymc wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:47 pm He never really liked Slap the Wall all that much and doubts he will keep it, at least not in same form.
Everyone who griped about this hire needs to take back what they said. 8)
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:31 pm
randymc wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:47 pm He never really liked Slap the Wall all that much and doubts he will keep it, at least not in same form.
Yeah, but wait ‘til he introduces Kill The Hobo after every win.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:53 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:31 pm
Yeah, but wait ‘til he introduces Kill The Hobo after every win.
If he only does it after series wins I could live with it
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

When he says he has a player committed from the portal that everybody will recognize, I don’t think he means a national name. I suspect it is somebody that left and is coming back.

The first name that comes to mind is Krishna Raj. He is a grad transfer from Charleston Southern at this point. He had some nice moments as a Tulane freshman in 2019 but really struggled with control. He made one appearance in 2020 and then left. He had an ERA of just over 3 with 3 saves last year.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I haven’t listened yet, but I was wondering if the “recognize” comment was about a former Tulane player soon to be current Tulane player again or a nationally known player coming here.

Krishna Raj is a deep pull and someone I thought was going to be good for us. Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later who it is.
Tulane Greenbackers

CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I believe I know who the recruit might be but I am not sure if he is on the transfer portal. Hopefully the fellow I am thinking of is the guy Uhlman is referring to. :-D

I am a very superstitious person, so I am not going to mention his name, but if it is who I am thinking of (it's not Raj, although he would be a big pick-up too), Uhlman will have made a bigtime pick-up. :razz:
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

I'm looking forward to watching the boys play out here in socal again. Nice.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

CletusRelm wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:25 am I believe I know who the recruit might be but I am not sure if he is on the transfer portal. Hopefully the fellow I am thinking of is the guy Uhlman is referring to. :-D

I am a very superstitious person, so I am not going to mention his name, but if it is who I am thinking of (it's not Raj, although he would be a big pick-up too), Uhlman will have made a bigtime pick-up. :razz:
Is the one you are thinking of a former Tulane player returning or someone else?
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

waverider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:40 am
CletusRelm wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:25 am I believe I know who the recruit might be but I am not sure if he is on the transfer portal. Hopefully the fellow I am thinking of is the guy Uhlman is referring to.

Is the one you are thinking of a former Tulane player returning or someone else?
Justin Campbell passed his English class at Oklahoma State? :-D
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

NJwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:21 pm
waverider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:40 am
CletusRelm wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:25 am I believe I know who the recruit might be but I am not sure if he is on the transfer portal. Hopefully the fellow I am thinking of is the guy Uhlman is referring to.

Justin Campbell passed his English class at Oklahoma State? :-D
Now that would be a great get.
Tulane Greenbackers

CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

NJwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:18 am When he says he has a player committed from the portal that everybody will recognize, I don’t think he means a national name. I suspect it is somebody that left and is coming back.

The first name that comes to mind is Krishna Raj. He is a grad transfer from Charleston Southern at this point. He had some nice moments as a Tulane freshman in 2019 but really struggled with control. He made one appearance in 2020 and then left. He had an ERA of just over 3 with 3 saves last year.
Actually what he said is that he has a player committed from the portal that everybody will recognize the "last name".
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

CT Wave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:00 pm
NJwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:18 am When he says he has a player committed from the portal that everybody will recognize, I don’t think he means a national name. I suspect it is somebody that left and is coming back.

Actually what he said is that he has a player committed from the portal that everybody will recognize the "last name".
I finally listened to The Current (which I don’t know why the OP didn’t just title it as such) and I caught that too. Could be a relative of a current or former player as well. If this is a game changing type player I’ll take back anything negative I said about the hire.
Tulane Greenbackers

doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I pitched in high school and you all know my name, but I can emphatically state it is not me, Doc Gooden, or Doc Ellis.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

doc wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:36 pm I pitched in high school and you all know my name, but I can emphatically state it is not me, Doc Gooden, or Doc Ellis.
Maybe it's Doc Brown so we can go back to the 1960s and stay in the sec :lol:
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

My guess is that it’s someone who we played against. Maybe someone from within the AAC
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Don’t see either Burckel kid in the portal. I’m looking through portal for Tulane connections.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

NJwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm Don’t see either Burckel kid in the portal. I’m looking through portal for Tulane connections.
Could be a local kid that wants to come home, son of a major leaguer, a kid with the same last name as a historical figure like president.
Tulane Greenbackers

doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Does Bruce Sutter have a grandson?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

waverider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:30 pm
NJwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm Don’t see either Burckel kid in the portal. I’m looking through portal for Tulane connections.
Could be a local kid that wants to come home, son of a major leaguer, a kid with the same last name as a historical figure like president.
I’ll go with the last one. Lane Hoover from ECU would be a nice fit. Better baseball player than his namesake was a president.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:31 am
waverider wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:30 pm
I’ll go with the last one. Lane Hoover from ECU would be a nice fit. Better baseball player than his namesake was a president.
There's no way he made that statement purely because the player's last name is the same as a historical figure. If that's what he meant then his sense of humor is... odd. Of course, as joked on the recruiting board, we just signed a kid named Smith, so if it was a joke because the name is super common... still a bad joke.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Hoover was the President of Delta House. I am very familiar with him.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

doc wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:12 am Hoover was the President of Delta House. I am very familiar with him.
LOL. Did you know Blutarsky 0.0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VrgVFPO_OJc