YouTube interview with TU commit M. Lucarelli/baseball

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

YouTube interview with TU commit M. Lucarelli/baseball

Unread post by randymc »

With so many doom and gloom, sky has fallen and its not getting up, can't stand Uhlman, can't stand Izzio, can't stand Dannen posts, here is how one major commitment and likely future starting SS for the baseball team -- New Jersey's Mike Lucarelli -- handled the coaching change in a positive manner. The kid's been committed for 18 months or so, loves Jay Uhlman (who communicated early and often with him after Jewett was axed). The first 10 minutes of the interview below focuses on his commitment, the coaching change and how commits in his class communicate with each other via a group chat. P.S.: His commitment to Tulane is as strong as ever. (Just rewind to beginning of interview to hear the Tulane stuff.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JhpF5Lb1o0
Last edited by randymc on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: YouTube interview with TU commit M. Lucarelli/baseball

Unread post by long green »

If he’s really good can Schulz play another position, like second? Then whither Baumgardt?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

It was interesting to see his enthusiasm for "Slap the Wall."
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

He's really good but won't be on campus til 2024 season; He will sign this coming November.
He has one more year of high school.
long green
Cornerstone

STW was fine. You can say that and still hate Jewett.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

randymc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:33 am He's really good but won't be on campus til 2024 season; He will sign this coming November.
He has one more year of high school.
Worry about it then, then.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by G-wave »

Does anyone know if we have any impact players in the incoming FR class this year ?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

5 guys rated 9 on 10-pt scale by Perfect Game:
Andrew Glass, Lake Charles, LA, catcher
Andy Holub, 3B, Bronxville NY
Michael Lombardi, infielder, Pound Ridge NY
Wilson Woodcox, P, Houston TX
Hayden Mileski, OF, Lakeville, MN
https://www.perfectgame.org/College/Col ... llege=1749
G-wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by G-wave »

Damm he just might be a heck of a recruiter. If we keep Linn and Banks looks like a good lineup will need to work hard on Pitching Staff which was not that deep this year.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

randymc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:51 am 5 guys rated 9 on 10-pt scale by Perfect Game:
Andrew Glass, Lake Charles, LA, catcher
Andy Holub, 3B, Bronxville NY
Michael Lombardi, infielder, Pound Ridge NY
Wilson Woodcox, P, Houston TX
Hayden Mileski, OF, Lakeville, MN
https://www.perfectgame.org/College/Col ... llege=1749
Before you get too excited about a 9 on the Perfect Game grading scale, Krishna Raj and Liam Cogswell both were 9s on PG.
Neither could cut it at Tulane
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

And Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team. What’s the point? Is anyone allowed to get excited?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Get excited all you want. Nobody has to listen to me
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Tulane has reeled in 11 guys in the '21. '22 and '23 classes --so far-- rated 9 and above by Perfect Game. PG defines that rating as follows:
Potential top 10 round pick and/or highest level college prospect. Key word is "potential."
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

It would be interesting to know, and I'm not going to look, how predictive PGs ratings system actually is. If it means potential top 10 round pick, then there should be ~320 players with that grade. I know in football 24/7 takes great pride in reporting how many first rounders were 5 stars because that shows the strength of their rating system (since a 5 star is supposed to project to a 1st round pick). They are also always tweaking their model to improve their projections.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I went back to 2018 for Tulane recruiting and basically one guy per year with a high rating hasn't been heard from since either at Tulane or elsewhere.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:57 pm It would be interesting to know, and I'm not going to look, how predictive PGs ratings system actually is. If it means potential top 10 round pick, then there should be ~320 players with that grade. I know in football 24/7 takes great pride in reporting how many first rounders were 5 stars because that shows the strength of their rating system (since a 5 star is supposed to project to a 1st round pick). They are also always tweaking their model to improve their projections.
Law, I can tell you a lot of scouts work for PG. Of course, they miss on plenty, but they do get plenty right. Because there are so many kids they only see once or twice, it can be a tough evaluation. I think the rule of thumb would be to track the kids they see a dozen or more times. And if the player is cross checked, even better.

Some of the travel teams in Houston just stay in Houston and play the other travel teams. There is enough college depth on these teams to draw plenty of scouts. PG may not see many of these guys unless they commit to play in East Cobb or Jupiter, or get lucky enough to play with a regional or national type team.
visualmagic
President's Circle

BTW we did this same thing in the off-season of 2017. Everyone ranted and raved and gushed over the first class of recruits that Jewett signed. I tried to temper the expectations. I told everyone the class wasn’t going to be very good. Nobody wanted to believe me.

You can read that here
http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48940&start=100
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:07 pm BTW we did this same thing in the off-season of 2017. Everyone ranted and raved and gushed over the first class of recruits that Jewett signed. I tried to temper the expectations. I told everyone the class wasn’t going to be very good. Nobody wanted to believe me.

You can read that here
http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48940&start=100
Amazing that in the last 11 pages of that thread I only had two posts. One was mentioning the underachievement of Ross Massey and the other was regarding a transfer with Tulane connections being denied admission over 2 credits.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

OK. So not all highly related recruits live up to the hype.
So should we be recruiting low rated players?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

interesting to note that the 2017 class, while far from one that turned the program around did include 4 pitchers who ended up drafted by the Major Leagues; plus Trent Johnson and Kaleb Roper who were contributors to the program (and Roper is pitching in AA minor leagues with Birmingham this year). Also, F. Niemann and Luis Aviles were signees at that time, although Aviles went the JC route before ending up at Tulane the past couple of years, with the 2022 season very successful for him personally at the plate.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Luvs da Wave wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 pm OK. So not all highly related recruits live up to the hype.
So should we be recruiting low rated players?
Of course not. It's still worth asking

a) how accurate are the ratings at preding talent? We know there's probably some correlation between talent and rating but not always how predictive any given ratings system is

b) just how highly rated are the guys we are recruiting? On average we'd rather be recruiting the highest rated players possible, but there's a lot of variance in those metrics.

In football hundreds of guys get a 4 star rating. I think if you told people we got a 4 star recruit we would all be pumped, but if he was the very lowest ranked 4 star, in truth there wouldn't be that much difference in that player's rating and the top rated 3 star. The rating for players mentioned here was a 9/10 which is supposed to translate into a top 10 round selection. That's on average likely better than a player with a projection of rounds 11-40, but even within the first 10 rounds there's a pretty big gap between a first rounder and the last pick of the 10th round.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Guys in the top 300 that we’ve had like Banks and Linn have a great hit rate but Go look at the Perfect Game top 500. They lose me when I see 30 pages of guys all tied for the 500th ranking.