2023 baseball schedule

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

2023 baseball schedule

Post by Johnny Mac »

from a conference call with Uhlman the other day.... he has inherited the 2023 schedule, so if you're going to be angry with him over things... cross that one off the list because it isn't his fault.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2023 baseball schedule

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

There's no room to make any changes? Not even local midweek stuff?? I was under the impression final details were arranged in winter before the schedule release so this seems pretty far out. If he just means weekend non con that's more understandable
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Outlaw, I would think midweek games can be moved around and even opponents changed in some cases, but once teams start making their schedules, to change them often affects more than just those teams involved. I would think it’s early enough that if he thinks certain midweek teams should be added or removed, there is time to get that done.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I see no one is listening, and are already starting to get angry
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I'm not angry, I just find it an odd thing to make to sure to include in a public interview months out from the season. The schedule was too soft this past year, but ultimately strong enough to get us to the postseason if we won the games we needed to. This sounds like excuse making to me, which is a read flag for an already extremely questionable hire.

Maybe I have the wrong read on it. Wouldn't be the first time.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Speaking as a lawyer, once you sign a contract to play a game, it becomes a little more complicated. You can’t just cancel without consequences.

You can negotiate something, but contracts are the law between the parties.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Luvs da Wave wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:58 pm Speaking as a lawyer, once you sign a contract to play a game, it becomes a little more complicated. You can’t just cancel without consequences.

You can negotiate something, but contracts are the law between the parties.
Sure, but games get changed alllll the time with much less time than that. Texas A&M canceled a game against some low rpi team this season basically a day before. Maybe they just paid their way out, but let's don't act like with months to work it's not possible to make some moves.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:15 pm There's no room to make any changes? Not even local midweek stuff?? I was under the impression final details were arranged in winter before the schedule release so this seems pretty far out. If he just means weekend non con that's more understandable
I am passing on something that was relayed to me by a guy on the conference call.. it's possible that Uhlman was deflecting future anger over our potentially weak OOC weekend schedule
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:15 pm There's no room to make any changes? Not even local midweek stuff?? I was under the impression final details were arranged in winter before the schedule release so this seems pretty far out. If he just means weekend non con that's more understandable
I am passing on something that was relayed to me by a guy on the conference call.. it's possible that Uhlman was deflecting future anger over our potentially weak OOC weekend schedule
That's fair. I guess if it's not Uhlmans call then TD is basically saying we have what we have on the schedule and we aren't willing to spend anything to make changes Uhlman might want. Not a good sign imo.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:37 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm
That's fair. I guess if it's not Uhlmans call then TD is basically saying we have what we have on the schedule and we aren't willing to spend anything to make changes Uhlman might want. Not a good sign imo.
honestly don't care what the OOC schedule is if we WIN THE FKING GAMES!!!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I think it's a bit of a red flag U. wants this out there ahead of time to protect himself, regardless of the rest of the conversation. It's day one, and he's already concerned people are going to be mad at a soft schedule? That's worse than if he was actually responsible for the soft schedule.

That said, all of this is small potatoes. If he's a better hire than most on here think, the softer schedule will mean he'll win even more to prove them wrong. And if not, then we'll find that out too. Bigger fish to fry.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Run the frick table and no one will care.

Go into conference and rip it up.

Don't collapse at the end of the year.

It's not hard
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

You all are ridiculous
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Just get us back to being #2 in the state* and #1 in the conference and annual regional berths. I don’t care who we play to get there.

*I don’t see us ever being #1 in-state any time soon. That school upriver has added two big transfers this week and just hired the Twins’ pitching coach. Meanwhile we rehired a guy who’s teams’ ERAs were over 5 each of his two seasons away from Tulane.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:35 am I think it's a bit of a red flag U. wants this out there ahead of time to protect himself, regardless of the rest of the conversation. It's day one, and he's already concerned people are going to be mad at a soft schedule? That's worse than if he was actually responsible for the soft schedule.

That said, all of this is small potatoes. If he's a better hire than most on here think, the softer schedule will mean he'll win even more to prove them wrong. And if not, then we'll find that out too. Bigger fish to fry.
Context is important...he could have been joking for all we know.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Also AD signs off on schedule. For argument’s sake, why would Dannen want a weak schedule?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:17 am Also AD signs off on schedule. For argument’s sake, why would Dannen want a weak schedule?
To pad wins to make a meh hire look better.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Perhaps. Stands were empty last year. Does scheduling northern gym teams again for OOC weekend series bring spectators back?

I doubt it. Tulane’s revenue stream now seems driven by conference revenue supplemented by donations. If ticket revenue and/or home field advantage driven by fan support don’t matter in this world then welcome to D3 home game vibe with D1 talent.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:21 am
Baywave1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:17 am Also AD signs off on schedule. For argument’s sake, why would Dannen want a weak schedule?
To pad wins to make a meh hire look better.
Man, it must be nice to have slept through the last 20 years of Tulane athletics.