Nadeau: 10 impact newcomers for Tulane football in 2022

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Nadeau: 10 impact newcomers for Tulane football in 2022

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Nadeau: 10 impact newcomers for Tulane football in 2022

Post by waverider »

TU23 pointed out on Twitter that he doesn’t include the kicker who could have a big impact as well.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

We have some good looking transfers coming in
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

I.m pretty excited after reading that article!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Portal swings both ways. In this new world, one reasonable marker is are you getting more than you’re losing?

Seems so today for Tulane but will be proved or not on the field.

Side note: WF is clearly using new portal rules to recruit New Orleans. As a biased local, hope it works. Tulane needs to break through “average” AAC team barrier in Fritz’s 7th year.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The key for the transfers is the fit. A lot of our better looking recent transfers haven’t worked out. Maybe they only thought they wanted to be here. Let’s hope these guys (or enough of them) do really want to be here.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 am Portal swings both ways. In this new world, one reasonable marker is are you getting more than you’re losing?
For better or worse, we have not lost top players to the portal under Fritz so much as we have brought in guys who at least looked good on paper.

Honestly asking, what players have left via portal in the Fritz era that were big/hurtful losses? Jeffrey Johnson is one, who else? And of the guys we lost who seemed to not be a big loss, have any gone on to great things elsewhere?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:58 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:32 am Portal swings both ways. In this new world, one reasonable marker is are you getting more than you’re losing?
For better or worse, we have not lost top players to the portal under Fritz so much as we have brought in guys who at least looked good on paper.

Honestly asking, what players have left via portal in the Fritz era that were big/hurtful losses? Jeffrey Johnson is one, who else? And of the guys we lost who seemed to not be a big loss, have any gone on to great things elsewhere?
Amare Jones is one that stung a little at the time, but he managed less than 200 yards at Georgia Southern last year. We'll see how Jeffrey Johnson does, but we also got 4 years from him. Hard to begrudge him the graduate option to play on a bigger stage. In general the trend you describe strikes true. I just hope we can hit some home runs with a few of the new guys like Michigan St. did last year.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

Seems so today for Tulane but will be proved or not on the field.

Side note: WF is clearly using new portal rules to recruit New Orleans. As a biased local, hope it works. Tulane needs to break through “average” AAC team barrier in Fritz’s 7th year.

This is a good strategy, recruit the best locals out of high school knowing that they’ll probably sign elsewhere, but if they get homesick or buried on the depth chart in the SEC, they can bounce back to Tulane.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Wave Revival wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:52 am This is a good strategy, recruit the best locals out of high school knowing that they’ll probably sign elsewhere, but if they get homesick or buried on the depth chart in the SEC, they can bounce back to Tulane.
you beat me to it
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Nice to see Nadeau doing articles on Tulane. WF gave him something to write about with these 10. Roll Wave!
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

I agree with Waverider our new PK should be in the top 10 . I would put him as #1 how many games did we lose at the end and how many times we change the Game Plan due to poor kicking. Also in the top 10 I would include T Philips and ALL Con DL from Lamar.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Anyone care to guess the “way too early” two deep offensive, defensive & spec teams before fall practice begins, factoring in the newcomers who may or may not crack into the mix.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

RI WAVE wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:59 pm Anyone care to guess the “way too early” two deep offensive, defensive & spec teams before fall practice begins, factoring in the newcomers who may or may not crack into the mix.
It won’t be too hard to do with only a few positions really seeing the biggest changes. I’ll try to venture a guess when I have time, but WR and DB may be decided in the fall.
The knowns (off the top of my head) are Pratt, Spears, Anderson, Williams, Hodges, Watts (squared) Jackson, Wyatt, Canady, Clark plus a few others. As I said, there may be a WR (Brazzell) or two and a DB (Monroe) or two that may jump up in the fall.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

That would be great, interested in 2nd string too, particularly DLine. If we cannot get some push there against top teams, it will be a long year. Will the new D line coach make any difference in our ability to get some pressure on the opposition?

Looking forward to it!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

RI WAVE wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:09 pm That would be great, interested in 2nd string too, particularly DLine. If we cannot get some push there against top teams, it will be a long year. Will the new D line coach make any difference in our ability to get some pressure on the opposition?

Looking forward to it!
Our DL should get pressure with the help of an improved secondary. I think Canady is one of the best CBs in the conference, if not the country. Macon Clark is a hard hitting safety and if Monroe is as good as we hope, we could see more coverage sacks from the DL.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Canady should make a smooth transition to full time corner. Nickel becomes a question. Clark could go there at times. I’d refer back to the linked article and say look out for Pleasant.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Saw a tweet with a picture of Canady with Parry Nickerson and Mitch Trubisky. They were working out together.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

RI WAVE wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:59 pm Anyone care to guess the “way too early” two deep offensive, defensive & spec teams before fall practice begins, factoring in the newcomers who may or may not crack into the mix.
Much too early but let's get the ball rolling:

QB: Pratt
Horton

RB:Spears
Celestine/Clayton

OL:LT Claybrook, LG Pines, C Haynesworth, RG Thomas,LT Green
Lombardi, Burns, Fort, Tuggle and Remetich

TE: James
Wallace/Brown

WR: Wyatt, Jackson and Duece
Phatt, Brazell and McDougle

DE: Hodges and Anderson
Cooper and Hatcher

DT: Hicks and Jenkins
Friloux and Thomas

LB: Anderson and Williams
Machado and Platt

CB: Canady and Monroe
Robinson and Harrison

S: Brooks and Clark
Young and Laister

NB:Harrison
Douglas

K: Valentino
P: Glover
LS: Hudak
We deserve so much better
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Good start. I’d add some guys like Keys and Bohanon at wideout and Tylo Philips in front of Thomas at DT. And I’d put Clark and Pleasant at nickel.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

What's the word on Keys (ND transfer WR)? Healthy? Play in spring game? Wouldn't he be far and away our highest-rated player (based on ratings coming out of HS, who recruited him, and where he previously went) at the position, maybe even on the entire roster? I'm aware he had some struggles at ND and I'm aware of our history of getting transfers who look great on paper, but I was really hoping we'd get a steal there.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Keys continues to battle injuries here. He has talent but like Booker he can't seem to shake injuries.
Last edited by wavedom on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

long green wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:07 pm Good start. I’d add some guys like Keys and Bohanon at wideout and Tylo Philips in front of Thomas at DT. And I’d put Clark and Pleasant at nickel.
Good suggestions. The question had been asked and no one answered for a bit so as I mentioned I just wanted to get it started and see what others have to say. Hard to keep track with all the transferring in these times. Forgot about Phillips. I could definitely see that. Thomas did make some noise in the spring and it's his final year so maybe he finally gets in shape and takes care of business.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I hadn’t had a chance to put together a list but I agree with LG that it’s a good start by wavedom.

OL and DL may have one or two spots still to be determined.

WR will see various combinations but that would be the starting 3 if we played today. If Wyatt stays healthy he could have a “breakout” type year.
Tulane Greenbackers

RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Wavedom,
Thank you very much for all of the insight into the "way too early" 1st and 2nd team info and as well as everyone's follow up comments. I will be marking each player's progress as the season approaches. It is what makes it interesting and gets me excited about the 2022 season possibilities.

Looking forward to a breakout season from the Wave - and will actually try to make a few games this year, assuming the airlines get their act together.

Roll Wave!