Question about USM game broadcast.

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Question about USM game broadcast.

Unread post by BC Wave »

During the game last week, 104.1 had its music programming on.
Does anyone know why, or if the problem was straightened out?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Question about USM game broadcast.

Unread post by WaveProf »

The fact this is only now news on here speaks volumes for just how much less popular Cory Gloor is than Graff, or, potentially, just how much damage to listening habits the guy in between the two affected
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:46 am The fact this is only now news on here speaks volumes for just how much less popular Cory Gloor is than Graff, or, potentially, just how much damage to listening habits the guy in between the two affected
It has nothing to do with Gloor vs. Graf and more the fact that in Graf's day more of our games were NOT on TV... or if they were, they were on actual TV and not streamed, and the difficulty of syncing current audio and video streams vs. just giving in and listening to the TV guys.

I enjoy Gloor's calls a lot, but not enough to jump through all the hoops it takes me to try to delay the audio stream from the app by like the 45 seconds it takes to sync to the ESPN+ stream. I know some people say they can pause the audio stream on whatever they are using to listen, but when I do that, it just resumes at "real time" rather than when I paused it.

BC Wave wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am During the game last week, 104.1 had its music programming on. Does anyone know why, or if the problem was straightened out?
Because the game was on 99.5 WRNO. That was listed in the pregame notes.
The pregame notes are always worth reading (not just to find where the radio is this week!).
Go here: https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/2019 ... notes.aspx
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Gloor is better than Graf at calling football. Sue me.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

I think Pete’s explanation is the most accurate. I haven’t listened to a radio broadcast since ESPN + came along. I listen to the postgame on the way home from home games but that’s about it.

It was also mentioned on last week’s Current that the game would be on 99.5.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 pm I think Pete’s explanation is the most accurate. I haven’t listened to a radio broadcast since ESPN + came along. I listen to the postgame on the way home from home games but that’s about it.

My counterpoint to you (and Pete) would be that there was a LOT of ink/time spilled on here for years about how to best synch graff with TV so they could listen to Graff while watching the tv feed. I always thought it was silly, but a LOT of people seemed to do it.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

long green wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am Gloor is better than Graf at calling football. Sue me.
Much better.
We deserve so much better
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:03 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 pm I think Pete’s explanation is the most accurate. I haven’t listened to a radio broadcast since ESPN + came along. I listen to the postgame on the way home from home games but that’s about it.

My counterpoint to you (and Pete) would be that there was a LOT of ink/time spilled on here for years about how to best synch graff with TV so they could listen to Graff while watching the tv feed. I always thought it was silly, but a LOT of people seemed to do it.
I always did it because of the additional insights we got from the team broadcast. The network talking heads don't have as much detail and background as the folks who are around the team week in and week out.
That said, though, as Pete said, it gotten to the point where syncing is more trouble than it's worth--it seems that one broadcast or the other "slips" a little over time, and I spend more time re-syncing. So I just put up with the less-informative ESPN announcers.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:10 pm
long green wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am Gloor is better than Graf at calling football. Sue me.
Much better.
It's a matter of taste, I guess, but I strongly disagree with both of you. I like Gloor, but he's too "polished." I prefer an announcer who sounds like my "buddy" and a fellow fan. I don't pay attention when it's a guy who's emulating one of the many cookie-cutter announcers.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

I thought Graff was one of the best/big time college football sounding announcers I've ever heard. Ironically, I didn't think he called a good basketball game at all, and only a so-so baseball game. I DON'T like his "this one belongs to the GW" because it is too direct a steal. But otherwise, for football anyway, he darn well set the standard in my book, and football is the only sport I'm likely to be listening to on the radio. If I make it to a MBB or baseball game, I can get into it, but I can't remember the last time I followed one I wasn't physically at.

That said, I think Gloor is pretty polished/professional and really good. A strong second (for football, which is the only sport I've heard him do).

The guy in between was BAD.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Roller wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:31 pm
wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:10 pm
Much better.
It's a matter of taste, I guess, but I strongly disagree with both of you. I like Gloor, but he's too "polished." I prefer an announcer who sounds like my "buddy" and a fellow fan. I don't pay attention when it's a guy who's emulating one of the many cookie-cutter announcers.
It is a matter of taste. I like to know what's going on with the game. I don't consider that being too polished. Gloor shows emotions at the right times.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I just appreciate that Gloor shows emotion for us, unlike his predecessor who rarely got excited (and when he did it seemed to be for the other team doing something).