Arson is a Bad Idea

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Arson is a Bad Idea

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Group says Tulane student was targeted for his political beliefs after door burned, TUPD investigating
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/grou ... ec09ba0033
According to TUPD officials, three Tulane students set a plastic sign attached to a door on fire just after midnight Saturday in the Weatherhead Hall dormitories. Warrants for aggravated arson have been issued for each of the students, two men and one woman, officials said.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Arson is a Bad Idea

Unread post by Yankeewave »

at least it happened on the weekend so we won't get too much bad press
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Yankeewave wrote:couple nights in jail for them won't be super fun. and the expulsion
The female goes to Brown.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 261fe.html
Victory is never permanent
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

OGSB wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:couple nights in jail for them won't be super fun. and the expulsion
The female goes to Brown.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 261fe.html
I suspect she'll see the same result. Arson is never a good look.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Friends are sending me story so must have been picked up nationally. Good thing there is lots of other stuff going on.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Yankeewave wrote:Friends are sending me story so must have been picked up nationally.
Junior tweeted about it.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:Friends are sending me story so must have been picked up nationally.
Junior tweeted about it.
Right, but with other stuff going on, it’s fortuitous timing
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I'm just impressed this story has made it this long on this site without turning political. Of course, a certain instigator is on "YOGWF vacation" so that's probably helping... but there certainly are others who can't resist a political post.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

“Vacation”
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

I mean picking on someone for their politics is one thing, but setting what is potentially a whole building full of people on fire...not smart. Odds that mind altering substances were involved? 1000%
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I mean picking on someone for their politics is one thing, but setting what is potentially a whole building full of people on fire...not smart. Odds that mind altering substances were involved? 1000%
Sadly the only thing altering the minds of people like this are fake social media stories and inflammatory Reddit posts.... :(
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

FWIW there was a story a year ago about a bigger attempt at fire in another dorm on campus that didn't get near the attention (nor charges).

My understanding is that both sides of this did a lot of things to each other not in keeping with Tulane's standards prior to the event in question, and investigations ongoing. Setting a fire (and risking burning down a dorm) is a very bad decision and the kids should be gone and prosecuted. I do hope they are prosecuted in line with other small campus dorm fires, and not by cable news
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16