Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm 
Navigator Level

Quote:
My issue is related to the people who go to school at night in the B-school or work there. Now they have to walk farther

Aw come on get serious. You can hit the B-School with a rock from Freret even if you throw like a girl. Plus if more people got out of their cars and walked there would be less crime rather than more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:45 pm 
Regent's Circle

Ray wrote:
I'm sure it's nice. Keeping up with the competition for students because of "greening the campus" sounds wonderful. I'm waiting for Tulane to "keep up with the competition" when it comes to div1 athletics. Getting excited over this when our school has become a pretender in inter-collegiate athletics is a not too funny joke.

As alumni, we are either going to get the McAlister "thing" or not but in reality it is not for us. This is for the students of today and tomorrow who are very different from you and me. Just like we were very different from our parents and the generation before them. Even #2 and Soph as young as they are have differences from the students of today. These students are wonderful if you sit down and listen to them. They bring the high energy and sense of urgency all generations of students have. However there concerns are different because the times are different.

We can sit around like old curmudgeons posting about what we do not understand, what we do not like or how things have changed. Or we can compare athletics to the University as a whole and forget the number one reason the students of today are really at Tulane (check out the incoming SAT scores). In the end, it really doesn’t matter what we think unless you have a couple $million.

As for athletics, it's obvious you do not believe me and that is fine. So believe Coach Mac or Oliver N. Blue or Big EZ or even Evergreenie. Something very good is coming. You will be happy. And everyone let's keep athletics on the athletics forum please!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:57 pm 
Navigator Level

Why doesn't the University open up the road between Fogelman and the Library where it will create an intersection at Freret there? That way you would not have to drive all the way to broadway to get to the back of campus or to newcomb and the theaters. If they are worried about the walkway their for commuter students, put in a pedestrian bridge or something like that. I also know there is a lot of students walking across that street during hte day near the two quads. I never understood why that was not open to Freret besides being a city bus stop and a location for the buses to pick up the frat boys or sorority girls for their parties. Maybe I have not thought this through or can not remember an obvious reason not to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 pm 
President's Circle

I was a student when it was closed up. As I recall, one reason given was to frustrate speeders who wanted to zip from Freret to Willow. There were a few of those back then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:56 pm 
Navigator Level

One of the things that confused me on my unofficial football visit in the Fall 2000 to Tulane was the lack of roads through campus. My parents and I thought, " Ok, Tulane is on St. Charles so we will go there and find our way through..." We obviously found out that you cant reach the rest of campus from St. Charles by car. SO we drove around to broadway and found the campus again (by turning onto Freret, which was a miracle). Then we turned onto McAlister and made our way through. That was not so simple, but it was not so bad. Now people will start at St. Charles, get denied like we did, will search for a way to get to the rest of campus, do what we did to get to freret, and find the same problem on Freret that they had on St. Charles.
I think that the first time visitors could get very frustrated with their first impressions. Also, what about move in days at the dorms? Are they going to make the dirt paths all over campus so people can wind their cars back to each dorm? I know Monroe should be easier as it has street access from Freret, but what about Sharp? What about butler, Phelps and Irby once this project stretches all the way to willow? These are all things that I hope they have considered.
I like the idea of the project as it is nice for the STUDENTS who already have to live in matchbox size dorms, but I am not convinced yet that it is better overall for the University. I have not seen it so I have no final opinion yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

TXWave88 wrote:
One of the things that confused me on my unofficial football visit in the Fall 2000 to Tulane was the lack of roads through campus. My parents and I thought, " Ok, Tulane is on St. Charles so we will go there and find our way through..." We obviously found out that you cant reach the rest of campus from St. Charles by car. SO we drove around to broadway and found the campus again (by turning onto Freret, which was a miracle). Then we turned onto McAlister and made our way through. That was not so simple, but it was not so bad. Now people will start at St. Charles, get denied like we did, will search for a way to get to the rest of campus, do what we did to get to freret, and find the same problem on Freret that they had on St. Charles.
I think that the first time visitors could get very frustrated with their first impressions. Also, what about move in days at the dorms? Are they going to make the dirt paths all over campus so people can wind their cars back to each dorm? I know Monroe should be easier as it has street access from Freret, but what about Sharp? What about butler, Phelps and Irby once this project stretches all the way to willow? These are all things that I hope they have considered.
I like the idea of the project as it is nice for the STUDENTS who already have to live in matchbox size dorms, but I am not convinced yet that it is better overall for the University. I have not seen it so I have no final opinion yet.

I think they have metal poles that can be removed to give emergency vehicles access. Maybe they could do that on move-in week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

McAlister is through the middle of campus...I can understand the desire to close it.
What would be interesting is to build road behind Bruff, Zemurry to Willow; that gives a quasi loop around campus, especially if law road and engineering road were more open.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm 
Navigator Level

Boy you old farts are really spoiled. You ought to go try to find parking at the University of Maryland and then see a) how much you pay and b) how far you have to walk. Or you could go to george Washington U and you won't have to walk far but will have to take out a second mortgage to pay for parking. Or you could try Georgetown or WUSTL, no roads through campus at those schools. Duke? The school is about a gazillion acres and scarce parking. Tennessee? The place is one giant hill with a dead body farm under the stadium.

Tulane has a long skinny campus that has to be negotiated on foot or bike by thousands of students, faculty, and staff every day and frequently multiple times a day. Their needs have to come first and not those of some fat old f@rt alumni who wants to shot through campus in an SUV for old times sake. There isn't room enough for the pedestrians and a Tulane Parkway. If you want a parkway go up to Natchez and take the Trace.

I don't believe in manmade global warming but I do believe there is nothing wrong with driving less and walking more and if you can't walk or bike go get yourself a scooter. Heck mediare will pay for it. You might even find its really nice to scooter around campus.

For myself the first time we visited campus we stayed in the Quarter and rode the streetcar out St Charles in part because I didn't really expect to find parking on or near an urban campus that didn't cost an arm and a leg and the streetcar was so much cheaper and more pleasant than the DC Metro I couldn't believe it. Heck we have a streetcar museum in Montgomery county that will charge you more to take a two mile loop on a 1950's vintage DC streetcar than NOLA charges to go all the way across the prettiest part of town. The streetcar could be my favorite thing in all of New Orleans. In fact we ought to get a couple of them to go around campus instead of shuttle buses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:53 am 
Emerald Circle

Lord, strike me dead! I agree with Berg! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Politics Police!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 am 
Navigator Level

I disagree with Berg. I believe humans are involved in global warming! I happen to believe in science, not political dribble. Keep you f**ing politics off this forum. Where are the Administrators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not seen the pedestian mall, but I will review it at the end of the month. Until I see the product, I will reserve judgment.

OliveGreenandBlue! We love thee!

1970 -Year of the Green
1979 -Experience Wave Craze
1998 -Perfect Wave
2013 -Bowl Wave
2014 -Let's Make Waves
2016 -New Beginning

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:25 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
Lord, strike me dead! I agree with Berg! :wink: :lol: :lol:
...upon further review, the McAlister part...not the global warming part...posted prior to caffeine this AM. :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:06 am 
Navigator Level

If you consider man caused global warming a political question that probably explains why you are so ready to accept the half-baked alleged science in back of it. Anyway it is not a debate I want to get into because the true believers are not amenable to reason, science, or facts but rather are the kind of Luddite lunatics who live in wilderness shacks reading Al Gore's book and only emerging at intervals to blow things up like the Unabomber.

If the ever update Incredible Populat Delusions global warming will have its own chapter. Green is not bad but AGW is BS. But to each his own.

Post subject: Peter. peter, peter....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:31 pm 
Regent's Circle

Try as you might you just can't help drifting off on some unnecessary rant that somehow kicks the rules of YOGWF in the groin. And when the forum's groin experiences pain, I suffer pain. See Peter, YOGWF is a quaint, little B&B forum about Tulane and Tulane athletics. Nothing more, nothing less, unless someone attempts to take away one or the other.

However the sporadic, discomforting and distressing ache in my nether-regions is not worth my time to reciprocate per Old Testament ideology. Therefore in the interest of time and expediency, simply I ask you to cease and follow the rules.

Because we don't want to have to say, "Elvis has left the building..."

The KING wrote:
Thankuoverymuch!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3