Tulane Law School posts highest bar exam passage rate in Feb

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Tulane Law School posts highest bar exam passage rate in Feb

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane Law School posts highest bar exam passage rate in Feb

Post by Yankeewave »

I'd be much more impressed if we could manage that during the July exam.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Nothing the students, professors, administration, athletes or anyone associated with the University accomplishes is ever impressive...

That is a known fact according to the Internet.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

JtS wrote:Nothing the students, professors, administration, athletes or anyone associated with the University accomplishes is ever impressive...

That is a known fact according to the Internet.

Yes, that is exactly what I said!
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

It's not you personally. Moreover I apologize my remarks came across aimed at you. There should have been a smiley or note of sarcasm...

The fact is 95% of the time anything positive is posted about Tulane students, the University, faculty, the administration or whatever it is cr@pped on by the Internet forums. Perhaps as alumni and supporters of Tulane we should show more pride and significance in the accomplishments of our University? Just an overall opinion.....
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

For those uninvolved with the law program and wondering why Tulane does not have higher LA bar passage rates in July, here's the explanation:

The state of LA practices "Civil Law", and the other 49 states practice "Common Law". Therefore, just by common sense, most non-LA-natives will choose to study Common Law during their time at Tulane, thinking that, chances are, they will end up practicing in a state with Common Law. Typically, the only students that take the Civil Law course are those who are born and raised in the state, and have a job basically waiting for them, or else know that they aren't leaving (i.e., a lot of Tulane Law students have a parent who is a partner at a firm in the state and they know they will go to work at that firm upon graduation). At other law schools in the state - Loyola, LSU, etc. - pretty much everyone studies Civil Law, because they have a much smaller percentage of out-of-staters in their enrollment (this being an inherent statement of how much better Tulane Law School is, nationally, than these other schools ;)).

However, as law school graduation approaches, many Tulane Law students receive and accept offers with firms in the New Orleans area, or within the state of LA. Therefore, they are reduced to a short "cram session" study course in which they try to learn all the Civil Law quirks and terminology in only a few short months. This is what leads to the lower "first attempt" LA Bar Exam passage rates for Tulane, and why LSU Law and even Loyola Law grads always point to the fact that they typically outperform us in the July Bar Exam. However, I have heard - I won't say it's fact because I don't have stats, but I have heard - that Tulane typically kicks their behinds on passage rates of those taking the Bar a second time. This would jive with the original post that Tulane did well in the February exam.

Sorry if most of you knew this, but I figure that people who have no interest/knowledge of law might not know...
Peter Berg
Navigator Level

Post by Peter Berg »

And just in case anyone is wondering New York is the most common out of state locale for Tulane Law grads to take the bar and up there they have virtually the same first time bar pass rate as Cornell Law graduates. So the law school grads suffer a little on the La bar mainly because we are the only national law school in the state and because the civil law basis is so unusual.