WaveProf--> Wave Prof

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

WaveProf--> Wave Prof

Unread post by WaveProf »

Just wanted to let you all know (for full disclosure) that I will almost definitely be accepting an Assistant Professor position at Nicholls State (in Thibodaux) by the end of the week. My position was always a temporary position with a contract that was year-to-year (my option each year) for up to 5 years (this past year was my third). With the current hiring freeze things have shifted to a point that I had legitimate concerns about whether or not I would be able to stay employed at Tulane past year 5, so when the opportunity to take a tenure tract job at Nicholls came about, I took it. That said, my wife will still be in the Spanish Dept (at Tulane), I'll still be leading the Camp Street tailgating krewe at the Superdome, and I'll still be annoying ya'll on the boards :) Tulane remains the institution (both academic and athletic) that I hold just about in the highest esteem of any in the nation, and I will forever remain a Tulane fan. I just wasn't willing to risk the chance of having to leave New Orleans. Nicholls ensures that we can stay.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: WaveProf--> Wave Prof

Unread post by AO Sig »

Best of luck at Nicholls state; I am glad we are not going to lose you from here.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
bigmoneytx

Unread post by bigmoneytx »

Congrats on being able to figure all that out and do what was best... Hopefully one day you will end up back at Tulane with security and stability
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

I do not think that anyone who has any idea of how difficult it is to get a tenure track position would blame you in the least.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Big$$, AO, & Yankee,

Thanks for your kind words and understanding. I vote that Tulane makes Nicholls their rent-a-win next year (instead of SELA or ULM). We've never played them, and I'd love to walk around Nicholls the week of the game in my Tulane gear. I'm sure it'd be a GREAT way to ingratiate myself :)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

Yankeewave wrote:I do not think that anyone who has any idea of how difficult it is to get a tenure track position would blame you in the least.
You can say that again (and again...and again)
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Best o' luck to ya!

As one who was born and mostly raised in Thibodaux, I know it's a big change in scenery, but it sounds like you'll be commuting for now, anyhow (or will you and your wife move to Avondale or Des Allemands, or something and both commute? That would be an even bigger change :wink: )
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Roller wrote:Best o' luck to ya!

As one who was born and mostly raised in Thibodaux, I know it's a big change in scenery, but it sounds like you'll be commuting for now, anyhow (or will you and your wife move to Avondale or Des Allemands, or something and both commute? That would be an even bigger change :wink: )
My wife was actually born in Thibodaux as well (though she moved to NOLA when she was 5). The current plan is to live in New Orleans and commute. If that proves to be too hellish, we might consider other options, although I'd much prefer Thibodaux to points in between :)
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

Prof...

No matter where you go...

If you bleed nothing but GREEN and BLUE, after all scores yell the HULLABALOO,

Believe in athletics and academics too, then you are a GREENIE through and through...

Congratulations!

ROLL WAVE!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

JtS wrote:Prof...

No matter where you go...

If you bleed nothing but GREEN and BLUE, after all scores yell the HULLABALOO,

Believe in athletics and academics too, then you are a GREENIE through and through...

Congratulations!

ROLL WAVE!

Thanks JTS (and everyone). You made my day. Not sure I've ever had a poem written for me before :)