Tulane ranked 151 in Forbes article

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Tulane ranked 151 in Forbes article

Unread post by Cheerleader »

Check out the August 30th edition of Forbes magazine. They rank the top 250 colleges in America, based on
"the quality of the education they provide, the experiences of their students and how much their graduates achieve. Our methodology puts itself in the student's shoes: Will I enjoy the classes? Do students distinguish themselves academically? How deeply will I go in debt? What are the chances I will graduate in four years? Will I get a good job?"

Williams College is ranked number 1 and Princeton is ranked #2. USMA is ranked #4. First BCS football school is Stanford, ranked sixth. LSU is nowhere to be found.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane ranked 151 in Forbes article

Unread post by TPSTulane »

Cheerleader wrote:Check out the August 30th edition of Forbes magazine. They rank the top 250 colleges in America, based on
"the quality of the education they provide, the experiences of their students and how much their graduates achieve. Our methodology puts itself in the student's shoes: Will I enjoy the classes? Do students distinguish themselves academically? How deeply will I go in debt? What are the chances I will graduate in four years? Will I get a good job?"

Williams College is ranked number 1 and Princeton is ranked #2. USMA is ranked #4. First BCS football school is Stanford, ranked sixth. LSU is nowhere to be found.
I guess our ranking in US News is "great" now.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

They also have USMA ranked #4. No offense toward the academies (having gone to military college myself, I do NOT mean this consdescendingly) but NOone would believe that USMA could be the fourth best school in the nation. This poll puts alot of weight on student surveys--which are really useful in some ways--but can be skewed by a school, such as, say, a militarty school--where there is alot of campus pride even if the education is a bit suspect. At USMA you often don't get to pick your own major, and many classes are taught by people who do not have a PhD and are not academics. Thats not to say that USMA is not a good school (I'm sure it is).....but it being at #4 should be yet anouther indicator of why we shouldn't take ANY academic "ranking" seriously. Academics aren't sports. It doesn't work the same way.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:They also have USMA ranked #4. No offense toward the academies (having gone to military college myself, I do NOT mean this consdescendingly) but NOone would believe that USMA could be the fourth best school in the nation. This poll puts alot of weight on student surveys--which are really useful in some ways--but can be skewed by a school, such as, say, a militarty school--where there is alot of campus pride even if the education is a bit suspect. At USMA you often don't get to pick your own major, and many classes are taught by people who do not have a PhD and are not academics. Thats not to say that USMA is not a good school (I'm sure it is).....but it being at #4 should be yet anouther indicator of why we shouldn't take ANY academic "ranking" seriously. Academics aren't sports. It doesn't work the same way.
Plus the "How deeply will I go into debt" question has to help.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

That Forbes ranking is obviously a farce and not serious.

My goodness, my goodness.
green4life
Coach Level

Unread post by green4life »

...uh yeah about that whole United States Military Academy thing.....My son selected his major, it was his choice...more than half of the students select liberal arts majors....no argument..its NOT a research institute with grad students and PhD Candidates and thesis/ dissertation defenses going on....got that....but it IS a huge load for the students..the VAST majority of the teachers speak English. ("what'd he say?") . The SA's do have different missions and "stakeholders" and all that. It's a good School, no doubt.

Ranking? Not sure if that is as critical to them as it is to us. They have zero of the budget problems that TU has. Even as a Dad i get mail asking for Athletic dept. giving, so that is the same.

Anecdote: When son was at Jump School at Ft. Benning this summer, (they send Cadets, both SA and ROTC) there was a One Star General there jumping as well. He was Tulane Army ROTC 1978. Small World.
Celebrating over 50 years as a Tulane Fan ....